The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many Have G.A.S..
Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 9:51 pm    

Quote:
I agree. Some would call it borderline hoarding or OCD. He says he never sells anything, he just buys. Someday he or a family member will have to clear out and sell all that stuff. It would take years and lots of work to sell thousands of guitars and amps.

It’s not exactly going to be a headache for that family member though: that dude’s collection is worth millions of dollars. There seem to be this group of well monied baby-boomer types whose nostalgia for their youth makes them do ridiculous things like pay $300,000 for a 1959 Les Paul.
If he or whomever inherits it is smart they’ll partner with Christie’s or Sotheby’s or similar to auction his collections.
Millions...

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 4:50 am     G.a.s.

Its so good to see so many also have G.A.S
.. It comes in many forms.
I had to clean up my Brother-in-laws property. 12 cars, 11 motor cycles, all scrap wood, mrtal and other things he had brought home over 50 some years. Sadly he was a hoarder. His best friend had not been allowed in his house in17 years. 1949 Fird Business coupe with 49,000 miles was left without air cleaner, windows down, to the wild cats and rust to destroy. Had a bad water pump !
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 4:53 am     G.a.s.

I could not have resisted the
Sho-Bud resonator, or most of the other pictured guitars. I am one SICK puppy.
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:07 am     G.a.s.

I have recenyky aquired 12-15
Guitars, for resale, to fund a project, i hope will help VETS
coming out of rehab from booze drug and most important PTSD
problems. If i can save 1 Vet from suicide, thru giving a guitar to help them get thru. It will be worth my time, costs and any trouble i go thru. And, yes i have PTSD, AND MY GUITAR HELPED ME GET THRU HARD TIMES.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:16 am    

I suffer only mild symptoms at this point - own four guitars, but two are ongoing (never-ending?) restoration projects. I've owned three others that I have sold. Oh - I forgot - also a vintage Fender Deluxe lap steel I still own. Some of it was the due to figuring out what style of pedal steel I wanted to focus on - started with a Stage One, switched to a Uni-12, but eventually decided I wanted to play D-10.

If I ever get to retire properly, and can still use my hands, I would not mind buying up old, rough steels and restoring them.

It could be worse, though - prior to catching G.A.S. I had "Captain-itis" - the urge to buy a bigger boat!

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:56 am    

And we know what "Captain-itis" usually causes, Doug: the two happiest days of your life - the day you buy the boat and the day you sell it! Smile

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 8:35 am     Re: G.a.s.

Art Beard wrote:
I have recenyky aquired 12-15
Guitars, for resale, to fund a project, i hope will help VETS
coming out of rehab from booze drug and most important PTSD
problems. If i can save 1 Vet from suicide, thru giving a guitar to help them get thru. It will be worth my time, costs and any trouble i go thru. And, yes i have PTSD, AND MY GUITAR HELPED ME GET THRU HARD TIMES.

Thank you Art, I've been teaching guitar for combat vets two years now as a volunteer with GuitarsForVets, it does wonders.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 1:04 pm    

Art and Bruce,

That is commendable, what you are doing for vets. Music is an outlet, and (who knows....), in their recovery, one might come up with a song that tells it all, for them, to help one recover more!

......................Pat

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 1:15 pm    

Jeff Garden, that may be true for many boat owners, but I can tell you will out a moment's hesitation that my best days were different ones. Perhaps it was the day I took a group of Kuna Indian kids, along with their teacher and his family, out to a beautiful miniature island with a beautiful beach to cavort as the school was closed down for reasons I never understood. Perhaps it was the day I sailed into the atoll Ontong Java - first boat to visit in 4 or 5 years. Maybe it was the day I anchored inside the crater of an extinct volcano in Vanuatu, and listened to the natives sing Christmas carols in their native language, and got "drunk" on kava (google it) with the village chief and the Episcopal priest.

The same is true with pedal steel, except maybe for the dreamers who fail to realize that learning an instrument is very hard work.

On another topic, did you try that tab I posted for "If I Only Had A Brain"? Just curious to hear someone's thoughts on it.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 7:26 am     G. A.. S.

Bruce, please p.m. me more about Vets program. Need to know.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2017 7:40 am     G. A.. S.

Thanks Pat, Hope it works, 22 of us should not die each day (Govt stats)! ! !

Art Beard

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 1:40 am     Bad G.a.s.

Sad thing is I enjoy having G.A.S., lol..If you know any of our soldiers with PTSD that are trying to drown or drug it away, please get in touch with me. I can telling them , from experience that you cannot get rid of it that way. (18 years trying). OOPS, BACK TO GAS., I slipped and picked up up a Frans Mueller violin, complete set{7} of Hohner Piedmont Blues harmonicas as well, lol. CAA

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 7:53 am    

Asking how many have G.A.S. on this Steel Guitar Forum is kind of like walking into an old school barber shop where all the old gents are smoking cigars and reading playboys while getting their ears lowered, and asking, " How many of you guys are heterosexuals?"
Sure some are just reading the articles..... Laughing

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 8:08 am    

Yes! I want a ShoBud S-12, rack and barrels. Did they make any?
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 6:52 pm    

I have GAS for a D-10 Zum Decided a couple years ago that I shoulda never sold mine,so I have been looking for one local to the Tampa Bay area as I don't trust shippers. Missed one in Orlando a couple years ago.

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 8:24 pm    

I guess I'm guilty.... Here are a few of my steels. I also have another Mullen and a Show Pro Russ Pahl model. Pretty crazy really....

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 8:15 pm    

I had virulent GAS for many years,ending up with 22 electric guitars, four acoustics(including a resonator),three basses,four steels,a muscular,if somewhat obsolescent 12 piece PA,and 13 amps.Along with a couple extra cab,lots of mics,stands,stompboxes,rack gear,and other miscellaneous.I'd slowed down a little just because if I got something I'd have to find a place for it,but advancing age combined with a scary-bad case of the flu over Christmas brought me up close and personal with the idea of Mrs. having to sort out and dispose of all my stuff.....Somehow the idea of winning through dying with the most toys has done lost its appeal!