The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many have C6 Boo-Wah on pedal 4?
Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 5:09 pm    

As I began getting serious about the C6 neck, my mentor, the late Carl Johnson, suggested I have the Boo-Wah on pedal 4.
That's the way I've been playing it now for over 30 years now.

Just curious how many others have this same set-up?

Last edited by Doug Jones on 21 Dec 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 5:11 pm    

Yep, me too. Since 1979.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 5:39 pm    

I had Clem Schmitz change it on my '73 D-10 push-pull from pedal 8 to pedal 4 in the late '70s. 2-3 years ago I had him change it back because I thought it would be easier to sell that way. Then I decided to keep the guitar. Doesn't really make much difference either way, once you get used to it.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 5:22 am    

Back when I was playing 12-string E9/B6 universals, I had the Boo-Wah on pedal 4.

Lee, from South Texas

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 6:07 am    

I had it on 4 for 28 years until I moved it to the LKL in my center C6 cluster in 1999.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 11:07 am    

I swapped P4 and P8 back in the early 70s when I saw Curly Chalker's copedent. It's very convenient for 1-4 changes with P4&5. However, I lost the standard P4&5 combination by doing so.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 12:16 pm    

Same as Lee .....when I got a Universal. I think most manufactured Uni's have the Boo-wah on the 4th pedal Smile

Micky (scars) Byrne U.K.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 8:50 am    

I feel Jeff Newman led a "fad" of putting p8 alongside of p5 back in 70s. I know I tried it on a 12 string Uni. It really makes playing "HoldIt" easier! That said, pedal 7+8 gives a useful 4 over 5 chord 2 frets below. IMHO,pedals 5-8 work best in their traditional positions and with a kl raising both Cs to C# you'll find you use p8 less.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 12:25 pm    

What John says plus if you have a Day uni, P5 next to the A pedal is way more useful than P8.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 9:13 am    

My Boo-wha is on the 4th pedal that includes the 9th string B to C. That is a useful change to get a 7th. Anyone use this change or find any other uses for it?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 10:03 am    

Hi Len, Here's a quick Boo-Wha pedal relationship for Steel playing guitar players...
If you put a guitar around your neck and sit at your S12U, go to fret-8 with the Boo-Wha pedal pressed.
Play the "Jimi Hendrix Chord" on guitar (Purple Haze, Foxy Lady).
String-12 matches string-6 on guitar (open low-E).
String-10 matches string-5 on guitar
String-9 matches string-4 on guitar.
String-7 matches string-3 on guitar.
String-5 matches string-2 on guitar.
String-6 matches string-1 on guitar (open high-e)

So I remember when I first learned the Jimi Hendrix chord in high school, and there are lots of songs that use that type of chord in various keys, so it is a good thing to know about the Boo-Wha.

That B-to-C on string 9 is the same as the lowest string on Jerry Byrds 7-string C6/A7 Lap Steels.
On S12U, for example...
Play a G6th at fret-8 on strings 9-5.
Go back two frets with Boo-Wha and play a D7 on strings 10-6.
That is another nice position to go to for Western Swing, Hawiaan, etc...

Last edited by Pete Burak on 27 Dec 2017 9:26 am; edited 3 times in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 10:04 am    

If you have 5 and 8 next to each other you lose the 4/5 combination and the 7/8 combination. Too much to lose just for the convenience of not having to move your left foot to the right a few inches.

Pedal 8 is my least used pedal by far, incidentally. And I play a lot of C6. I can't comment on its position for Universal players, because I don't use that tuning.

Moving either p.6 or p.7 to a knee lever, that I could understand, but even then p.7 has two whole tone raises which would be slower to actuate and release than would p.6 on a lever, since that pedal has only 1/2 tone raise/lower. That way the 5/7 and 7/8 could remain on the pedals and the 5/6 and 6/7 would be an easy pedal/lever combination.

Personally, I have the traditional setup on the feet and knees. I also raise s.1 D-Eb on a vertical.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 10:29 am    

I don't know if it has anything to do with the location of the Boo-Wha pedal, but Doug Jones makes that thing sing (I especially like his 18 Wheeler licks)!

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:14 pm     pedal 8

the std pedal set up is best for all the reasons said before my post

there is one factor to consider and that's folks like me with replacement knees in which case pedal 4 is a good option if you use 8 a lot which I don't but some do
I lost my sideways motion 16 years ago makes pedal 8 a stretch sometimes

its all up to the player and the cords used

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 2:54 pm    

Yep always had the boowah as my first C6th pedal, right next to 5. I moved my whole C6th setup one step the right to accommodate for my loaded E9th 4th pedal ...so my C6th starts with pedal 5 thru 9
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2017 5:03 pm    

I've had the boo-wah at 4 since, well, forever. I just moved everything else over one, so I still have the "4/5" combo Herb talks about, which I also use all the time. It's just 5/6 now. I never used a 7/8 combo much before I made the change, so I don't miss that now. To be clear, in standard Emmons setup terms, my C6 pedals are laid out 8, 4, 5, 6, 7. I agree with Herb, having 8 and 5 together (by simply swapping 4 and 8 ) would not work for me either.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 6:22 am    

It always seemed to me that doing that way was only so you could play the old break song "Hold it" without moving your foot. What I never liked about that was that not only do you lose being able to combine pedals 4 & 5 for anything at the same time, but often it puts the traditional pedals 6 & 7 so far over to the right of most guitars, that you can't rock your left foot comfortably in both directions... which is to me a huge part of my own C6 playing... but I know it's all what you get use to.

An unrelated question: does anybody still play "Hold it" ?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 6:50 am    

I don't move anything else Rick. I just swap 4 for 8. Pedals 6&7 remain in the same location.

My first professional D10 had the boo-wah pedal on 4, so that's how I learned. I have also played universal 12's and 14's over the years with it there. I do something else entirely in the traditional pedal 8 position. I raise the 4th string A to B with a Bb half stop on a dedicated knee lever to sub for the normal 4th pedal.

I don't think it matters. It's just what you get used to, what and how you play. Everything is a compromise...you can't have everything at once all the time.

I think you get used to things where they are go from there. F.I., two footing a few changes is committed to muscle and brain memory and it's no big deal.

Yes, I still play "Hold It"...

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2017 10:20 am    

On an unrelated question,

Rick--

A number of years ago you posted your C6 (and, I think, E9) copedent, and I found it very interesting and printed it out. But unfortunately I can't find that printout, and trying to search the Forum has been unsuccessful. Could you post it again? Please?

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 6:15 pm    

[quote="Rick Schmidt"]It always seemed to me that doing that way was only so you could play the old break song "Hold it" without moving your foot. What I never liked about that was that not only do you lose being able to combine pedals 4 & 5 for anything at the same time, but often it puts the traditional pedals 6 & 7 so far over to the right of most guitars, that you can't rock your left foot comfortably in both directions... which is to me a huge part of my own C6 playing... but I know it's all what you get use to."

Not to beat a dead horse, but this has come up before and there always seems to be confusion. For the sake of clarification, swapping 4 and 8 is a very different setup than moving 8 to 4 and moving everything else to the right, in order.

Let's agree that standard C6 Emmons is 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Using the same nomenclature, swapping 8 for 4 produces 8, 5, 6 7, 4, which DOES prevent "being able to combine pedals 4 & 5 for anything at the same time" because 4 and 5 are then at nearly opposite ends. But 8, 4, 5, 6, 7 does NOT produce the same problem. 4 & 5 are still together, but simply where 5 & 6 used to be.

As far as that setup moving the 6/7 combo a pedal space to the right, that's certainly true. For my purposes, I use the boowah pedal WAY more than 7 and I use the 4/5 combo all the time, so it made sense for me to move 8 over closer to my work.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2017 7:11 pm    

I remember Jeff Newman commented on his E9/B6 Universal course that pedal 4 also produced some sort of a major 7. That was on a VHS instructional tape. Yikes😬

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 7:08 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
On an unrelated question,

Rick--

A number of years ago you posted your C6 (and, I think, E9) copedent, and I found it very interesting and printed it out. But unfortunately I can't find that printout, and trying to search the Forum has been unsuccessful. Could you post it again? Please?

Brint... here's my copedent from my D12/11 Dekley from a few years back. I now have a D12 Infinity with some different changes....mostly on E9... but just for brevity, I'm sending this older set up pic. The main differences on C6 is that I now have an open B on string 2 since my Dekley only had 11 strings, and my Infinity has 12. Also I have a half stop on my VKL. (there was a time I would've never considered a half stop on anything, let alone a VKL... but the Infinity's action is so easy and in tune, it's a non issue)

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 10:26 am    

Thanks for posting it, Rick.

I remember seeing another copedent or two with your P10 (or at least the bottom part of it), with the Eb instead of the standard E on the 9th (in your case 10th) string. What is the use(s) of that change?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2017 2:05 pm    

I have had S12U's with the Boo-Wha on either P4, and P8.
My first S12U for 15 years was a Jeff Newman 7x4 setup (no RKR) with Boo-Wha on P4, next to P5, great for rocking on/off either/both pedals.
I mainly use the Boo-Wha and P5 to go from a 1-chord to a 4-chord. So I liked having them next to each other. I can easily navigate my way thru most 145, 125, 1625, 3625, etc, type of chord arrangements with my left foot at the P4/P5 zone (similar to having your foot over AB on E9th).
I also like that when you press P4(Boo-wha) and P5 together, you get a great low range A6th at the first fret on strings 10,9,8,7,6, that I like to go to for many swing tunes in A6 (good for hammer-on's n'stuff), and also other Key positions.
My Zum S12U has the traditional five pedal 6th setup with Boo-Wha on P8. I usually take my foot off the volume pedal when I play Boo-Wha to P5 to Boo-Wha intensive songs, so that's maybe why I like them together better.

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 8:57 am    

I took my 10th string (C) off and now have 9th string is a "G" and my 10th string is an "F". I didn't use the Boo-Wah that much so that's why I changed it and it's working for me.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!