The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  need advice
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2017 10:05 am    

Just for clarification in regards to Jim Sliff's post, I have been shipping Stage Ones all along, just not taking more orders. I had nearly 100 orders to fill and had to play catch up. I'll be taking Stage One orders again in about February and hope to have some in stock at that time.

A Carter Starter is just fine if you don't pay too much, and most of its' shortcomings are easily remedied. I always said for five dollars more and five more minutes it could have been a heck of a guitar. They sold lots of them though, which was the whole point of making them in the first place!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2017 4:54 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
I'll be taking Stage One orders again in about February and hope to have some in stock at that time.

How about the Encore ? Thanks !

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:36 pm    

Robert, if you hang around the SGF for sale forum long enough, you'll hit on one. just a short time ago a lovely Sierra S-10 went for $1350. it won't be a sho-bud or Emmons or zumsteel, but occasionally you can find nice bmi's or msa's or sierra's that low (among others). you have to act fast when they come up though!

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 7:15 pm    

yes, i'm seeing that. My problem is I don't know enough about them to know what is good or what is so-so. Then I'll do a search to find out about them, and when I go back, they are sold.
Oh well, I'm getting an education. If I hang around long enough, I might even learn something! Very Happy

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 8:05 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Jim Sliff wrote:
Personally I think the GFI student model is a better guitar for just a little more money. Also easily expanded. Worth considering - especially since Stage Ones haven't been shipping in months according to the website.

I tried a couple of Carter Starters and thought they were very flimsy. And with Carter out of business parts availability might be questionable. I think Steel guitars of Canada is selling some now, but in the future?

I believe that Michael Yahl said he's not going to produce Carter replacement parts as long as Al has stock, but it wouldn't surprise me if he starts once Al runs out.
Right gentlemanly of him.

That's what Michael told me. Now that I'm playing a Mullen SD12, I'm thinking of doing a major overhaul and cleaning of my Carter. I want to change out the dog bones to the barrel and set screw. I can't afford to buy the from Brisco, so I'll have to make them myself. I need lots of them and would cost me hundreds from him.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 8:29 am    

Sam Ash is carrying the GFI Student Model with 3X4:

http://www.samash.com/gfi-musical-instruments-s-10-sm-pedal-steel-guitar-with-hardshell-case-3-pedals-4-knee-levers-gs10sm4kx

They also have a 45-Day Return Policy.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 10:57 am    

Good to hear the Stage Ones are shipping again!

That's interesting about Sam Ash handling GFI. I wonder how much arm wrestling I'd have to do to get the local branch to *stock* one?

Whoa!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 11:44 am    

Never happen in Southern California Jim. Blackie Taylor is the exclusive dealer for GFI in the region.[/quote]

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 12:09 pm    

I have a chance to buy a stage one 3 x 3 in like new condition. Can a 4th knee be added , and will I really need it to learn ?
Any idea of the value ?

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 8:36 am     Advice?

Get the G.F.I. It's a great guitar, and really light.
I just got a GFI Ultra from Billy Cooper Music a few weeks ago, and I love it. You will love the tone.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 2:31 am    

I find it odd that a Stage One has only 3. 4 was the stock.
As long as the 3 are raise and lower the Es and lower the 2nd, that's enough.
I'd also check to see if there's the 4th cross shaft, and someone removed the lever.

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:35 am    

I thought so too. I don't know much about steels, but I am mechanically inclined and after seeing pics of the underside, something didn't look quite right. That and the fact that there were 2 strings missing set off alarm bells, so I passed.

Keith Marlowe

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:52 am    

Having just been through the same process, I'll throw in my $.02, which is I wouldn't eliminate the Carter Starter if you can't find a reasonably priced Stage One or GFI.

I was searching for a Stage One, GFI or Carter Starter (in that order) and ended with a CS. The main reason was because between the demand for Stage Ones that currently aren't being made and the cost of the GFI for a 3x4 (even used), I couldn't find either one reasonably priced or kept losing out on listings on the forum. It seems to be a seller's market for 3x4 student guitars (I would recommend sticking with a 3x4 versus something will less knee levers). I ended up finding a CS about an hour's drive from me on Creigslist.

Having now played only a short time (and loving it), I don't regret buying the CS. I clearly understand its faults (which have helped me learn a lot about the workings of the instrument) but it got me up and running for a reasonable price. It stays in tune, is playable and sounds like a pedal steel (I front a band with a steel player and have recorded steel in my home studio).

Now that I know I want to continue playing, I will likely upgrade from the CS within the year but will hardly lose money and likely sell it for what I paid (even though I have seen sales at higher prices). In the meantime, I have almost 1.5 months of playing under my belt versus continuing to find the right guitar at a reasonable price. But I'm not trying to sell you on the CS or endorse it, just saying I wouldn't count it out of your search.

Finally, I'll endorse Jim Cohen as a teacher who I already have taken one lesson from (and plan to take another soon). If you are going to be in the Philly area for any reason, would be worthwhile to schedule a lesson if you can.

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 5:52 am    

I am buying a Sierra Artist S10 3x4 from a forum member, and Jim Cohen has graciously agreed to show me how to set it up, and give me my first lesson.

My thanks to all who responded to this post. You are a wealth of information which you share freely , and as a newbe , all your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Bob