The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ~Rare 1965 Vintage Guitar: The Hagstrom **SOLD**
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 11:40 pm    

**SOLD PLEASE REMOVE***
Forget that ridiculous price and pick yourself up a fantastic 60s relic for a great price...

Beautiful 1965 Hagstrom 1 (Kent) in fantastic shape. Gorgeous lucite top, pristine red tolex back (no buckle rash!), and tremolo arm intact. Comes with padded gig bag and a Christmas bow! $475 + shipping (Forum members only). PM me; quick response.

And boy, is this vintage guitar a player! Sporting that super fast "King's Neck" with rosewood fingerboard, it sought to take on the American Strats they were competing with and whose Fender look-alike headstock was just a lawyer's letter away from going bye-bye.

Watch it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ5_DPFW4Tg

**PM me if interested or, for a faster response: emailmarkhelm@gmail.com

This Hagstrom I has just been professionally set up by the master luthiers at Franklin Guitar and Repair in Nashville, so she's gig-ready.

Originally an accordion manufacturer, Hagstrom started making guitars and basses in Sweden starting in the late '50s. This "Model I,"sometimes called which was also marketed under the Kent brand name in the U.S., used a wood body with a vinyl cap on top.

Body Style: Solidbody, double cutaway

Design Elements: Dot inlays, two single-coil pickups, tremolo tailpiece, six slide switches, volume knob, bolt-on neck.

Notable Hagstrom Players: Kurt Cobain, David Bowie, Frank Zappa, Dave Gregory (XTC).

Note: As happens vintage instruments, there are some minor flaws: barely noticeable, very light scuffing on top, but the red vinyl/tolex back is in spectacular shape, without a blemish. Neck pick-up plastic covering has a tiny ding on its underside, which I didn't even notice until I held the guitar upside down (see pics and video). As I said, it's a vintage guitar, so there will be minor flaws. That said, I've has 2 or 3 of these over the last 10 or 20 years and this is by far the best one I've seen.

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 20 Jan 2018 11:33 pm; edited 10 times in total

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 5:38 am    

That's a beauty! These guitars play with low action that is second to none..I just played my '66 Hagstrom 12 through a '64 Vox AC30 yesterday..great guitars !

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 7:27 am    

I count 2 pickups - is a 3rd under the guard?

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 9:07 pm     Yup 2 pick-ups!

Sorry, guys...typo. And--YES--fantastic, fast thin neck.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 11:17 am    

This is a really good buy.. Its being sold well under market... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:34 pm    

I had a grey one like that, and forgot and left it at a Holiday Inn on the road in 1975.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 10:01 pm     Bowie playing a nearly identical guitar!

Nice vibe!

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 12:02 pm     **Price Drop $425!!**

******Price Drop! Pls. TTT******

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 3:56 pm    

I remember playing one of these when they first came out. It was at a music store I frequented, and I was extremely impressed at how thin and fast the neck was. I left wishing all my guitars had necks like that.

If only I had the funds available!!! Sucks being poor!!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 5:13 pm    

PM/email incoming. I laid off this one to give you guys a chance, but it's been sitting here for close to a month now. Fair game.