The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum
Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:58 am    

Does anyone know when Zum will be accepting orders again?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:33 am    

Pretty sure that Bruce has retired and the pro-Zumsteels will no longer be available.. BUT - if you want a Stage One or, better still, an Encore then get in touch with Doug Earnest who is still producing them. Make no mistake, these 'entry level' steels will do everything their big brothers will do.

I can say with all honesty that, despite me owning two other pro steels (Emmons and JCH), my Zum Encore has been my go-to guitar in recent years.

It is terrific.

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:35 am    

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between an Encore and a Stage One ?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:38 am    

I believe that the Stage One uses a pull/release mechanism while the slightly more expensive Encore is an all-pull.

I think I'm correct here. I was going to buy a Stage One but Doug (the builder) advised me to wait for the then-new Encore. I play with the 'Day' pedal set-up and it was his belief that the all-pull worked better for 'Day' guitars.

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:43 am    

Roger,
You must forgive me, as I don't play yet and this is all new to me.
I think I might have to do some more research to find out what that all means.
Thanks for the reply
Bob

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:49 am    

Robert - and I ought to know more about mechanics than I do having played pedal steel for forty five years!

There are plenty of folks on here who can give you more precise analysis and why one might be preferable over another.

But you can't go wrong with either of the Zums that Doug Earnest builds. That I do know. I play for a living and have come to rely upon my Encore.

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 12:27 pm    

Thanks, Roger,
I did contact Doug and he said February at the earliest

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 12:50 pm     Zum

What is perhaps being forgotten here, is the fact that ALL Zums no matter who they are are being built by nowadays, were all designed by the man himself.

The Encore is as much a Pro Machine as any in the stable. Still designed (by Bruce) but built using more economical modern techniques. Also, they sound and play as good as their predecessors. Yeah, and they are lighter too.

Most of the other mainstream Brand names out there still in business, now use similar build techniques if you have a look. Mullen,Willaims,Justice to name three

Jeff Triplett

Virginia Beach, VA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:11 pm    

Robert,

The Stage One has a fixed copedent which can’t be modified as the bellcranks which raise or lowers individual strings are welded to the cross shaft the pedals and levers are connected to. It is a pull/release changer which means the raises are pulled and tuned with a nylon nut at the changer end, the lowers are released from the open note to a lowered position tuned with a set screw for each lowered string.

I bought one of these for my son and they are great playing/sounding guitars and a great option if you don’t need to modify the copedent.

The Encore is a all pull guitar, raises and lowers are tuned with tuning nuts. An all pull changer has a pivot point for each finger so dependent upon where a pull rod is attached detmines if you have a raise or a lower. Most all pro level guitars today are set up like this.

I hope this helps explain the difference.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 7:16 am     zumsteel

If you are looking for a top of the line zumsteel, and know what they are worth, please feel free to contact me. (see footer) I always buy, sometimes sell, and occasionally trade zumsteels.

Best JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 11:25 am    

Thanks, Jeff.

That helps a lot. As a new wanna be player, I can't imagine having to change anything for a long while.

Bob

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 12:42 pm    

Both are great guitars. Also if steel is not for you and you ever want to part with one, you can almost get your money back when you sell it. Not many things I can think of hold their value like these guitars do.

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 4:40 pm    

Get an Encore. You will not be disappointed. I have had one for three years now and I have played my Zum d10 once since then.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 5:43 am    

Further info on Stage One vs Encore - the Encore is the same pull system as the Pro Zum's, just not as flashy a build. Thus, you can easily change around your pedal/lever arrangement (aka copedent). The Stage One is not - the copedent is fixed.

Doug E has not been taking orders now for 8 months according to his website, but might be soon - contact him if you want a new one. Also, there is an encore for sale right now on the forum - they do not appear very often being a fairly recent design and very popular. Although it looks like it could jump off the market very quickly - if you want it, text and email and say "I'll take it."

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=325104