The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter D10
Burnell Groft

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 4:19 pm    

Carter D10 I think my toggle switch went bad. I have the C6th neck but when I flip it to the E9th neck I have no contact but if I wiggle the toggle it makes contact(sometimes)I am trying to replace the switch I cant find out where to take the fret board off. Anybody have have a clue? I tried to take switch off and fish it back to where the pickup is attached but it wont come out of the hole after i take the nut off the switch. I dont know how they have it fixed to the fret board. Can any one help me with this issue?

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 5:03 pm    

You have to remove the fretboards to access the screws for the necks. Easier to install a new switch in a different location.

Burnell Groft

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 10:39 am     Toggle switch

Dave Thank you. I was wondering about that.I guess you would have to replace the fret board,don't know how to remove it with out messing it up. Maybe a hair dryer,don't know how they are attached.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 1:22 pm    

yes it's a bear, when I changed mine, I removed the strings and pickup and pulled the switch back thru the pickup cavity area. I snaked the new switch back to the same hole. You will have to fiddle the wires , maybe even cut / splice and rewire. It can be done. Lots of snaking going on !

On another Carter I installed a switch mid body which requires drilling and being REALLY CAREFUL. It's easy to make a mistake. If I did it again, I would go back to the snake method.

I also found taking the fret board off was NOT an easy task, hidden screws. Others may have better methods.

The switches are common from most electronic supplies.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Johnie Helms

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 6:23 pm     Fretboard removal

Hi Burnell,

What I do to remove fretboards is to take a 16-20 plain string, start at your corner
And work the string back & forth toward the headstock. Comes off fairly easy using that method..

Hope that helps.

JH

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 6:28 pm    

As Tony mentioned, I found it easiest to add a toggle between the necks near the stock mounted switch in the neck. I managed to fish out the old switches without too much effort. Drilling through both sides with a smaller bit and then a larger bit will prevent chipping of the mica or splintering of the underside of the cabinet. I don't believe I've ever discovered the reason Carter decided to mount the switch where they did but I think it was a poor choice as I've seen a number of the switches fail over the years and the location makes them far too much of a challenge to change!
Dave

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2018 11:36 am     How I fitted a new switch

When this happened on my Carter,what I did was make up a small plate screwed It inside the rear apron and fitted a new switch ,lengthend and soldierd the pickups to the new switch,took me about an hour no longer had any problems.