The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Macrium Reflect help.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 2:13 pm    

I'm trying to do a complete backup of my laptop's hard drive. It is a 1tb drive that is less than 1/2 full. It tells me I have 651 hours left. I'm doing an image and storing it to an external hard drive. This is my first time.

I can't imagine that it could take that long.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 2:38 pm    

I use Macrium Reflect.

1. Are you doing a disc "image" or "clone" (you need to do image).

2. Do you have the latest version (7)?

It takes me about 2 hours to image my desktop's drive (about 320GB) to a USB 3.0 external drive.

Just a guess, but could it be the external drive that is causing this? Have you used it before?

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 4:29 pm     Re: Macrium Reflect help.

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I can't imagine that it could take that long.
Well, I don't know if it WOULD take that long, but as a data point, I've been using Macrium to image the ~126GB on my C: drive for a long time now, and it only takes 20-30 minutes, depending on which external USB drive I image to. Something's wrong.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 5:19 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I use Macrium Reflect.

1. Are you doing a disc "image" or "clone" (you need to do image).

2. Do you have the latest version (7)?

It takes me about 2 hours to image my desktop's drive (about 320GB) to a USB 3.0 external drive.

Just a guess, but could it be the external drive that is causing this? Have you used it before?

The external drive works. I had it as an external on my desktop. Don't need it there so I reformatted it and am using it for a backup.

I'm doing an image.

About 30 minutes ago, it got down to 2 minutes left. Then it jumped to 7 hours. Interesting.

I got an update notice, but chose not to update right now.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 5:48 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

I'm doing an image.

About 30 minutes ago, it got down to 2 minutes left. Then it jumped to 7 hours. Interesting.

I got an update notice, but chose not to update right now.

Updates usually exist to fix bugs in previous versions, or to plug security vulnerabilities.

As for the long estimated time, this could be caused by slow communications with the external drive. That could be due to the drive's read/write speed, and/or the rate of the port you have it connected to. If you are using a USB port, use the fastest one available on your computer. The current fast port is USB 3.1, which uses a special type of connector. Otherwise, look for a USB 3.0 port. The data transfer rates are much higher than the older USB 2 and magnitudes faster than the original USB 1.

If, upon investigation, you learn that your computer lacks a USB 3 port, you may be able to install a PCI Express board with a USB 3 chipset and 2 to 4 USB 3 jacks.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 7:14 pm    

I am using a USB 3.0 port. It might be the computer running slow too. Ever since Microsoft did the last critical update this last week, I'm having numerous problems. I'm doing this backup because I am going to try reverting back to before the update.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 6:44 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I am using a USB 3.0 port.

...and a USB 3.0 CABLE too, right? They're different. Be sure the plastic part inside the connector is blue for USB 3.0, or red for USB 3.1.

Macrium shows the data transfer rate on the progress screen. What kind of transfer rate are you seeing - Wiz might be getting close with his idea. As an example, I just imaged my C SSD drive populated with 137Gb of data. I used a 3.0 cable on a 3.1 port, and Macrium reported a read rate of 14.5Gb/s, and a write rate of 1.7Gb/s. The image took 15 minutes, and at that rate, your ~500Gb of data should take about 55 minutes to complete - probably a little more, if your drive is the spinning kind.

Quote:
It might be the computer running slow too. Ever since Microsoft did the last critical update this last week, I'm having numerous problems.

I'd recommend letting Macrium update each time one's offered, and they seem to come every coupla' weeks or so now. Macrium's very active addressing issues to improve the software. In cases like this, I normally also recommend JV16 Power Tools to clean/fix registry problems that slow the system down, not because I own stock there, it just works. But nobody ever listens. Laughing

It's possible to uninstall Windows updates if you believe one didn't install correctly - it does sound like something's not right on your system. Have you looked at everything in Device Manager for any problems, especially USB devices?

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 7:34 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
The current fast port is USB 3.1, which uses a special type of connector.

I bought a new PC a month ago, and it has 2 types of USB 3.1 connectors, along with several legacy USB 2.0 ports. The five USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A ports look the same as USB 2.0 ports, but with a red plastic part inside. USB 2.0 connectors will fit in them, with lower data speeds, of course. It also has one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port, which looks similar to a USB-mini connector.

Quote:
If, upon investigation, you learn that your computer lacks a USB 3 port, you may be able to install a board with a USB 3 chipset and 2 to 4 USB 3 jacks.

It's a laptop.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 7:39 am    

It finally finished. 4 hours 20 minutes.

Since the last Windows update, almost every program gives me "...not responding" errors. Although, my Windows 7 desktop also does the not responding crap.

I have some problems with Adobe Dreamweaver CS6. Every time I have tried to start the program, I always get "error 16 - uninstall and reinstall program". I did this several times. I Googled that error, and I have something to try for that problem. This problem started right after the last Windows update.

Ccleaner won't run. Revo Uninstaller also won't work. Revo is a paid version and current as of Saturday. I have some Adobe Creative Cloud programs from when I subscribed (I no longer subscribe). Those programs won't completely uninstall, Not even with Revo.

My plan for today is to:

--check to see if my HD needs to be defragging. All this trying to uninstall Adobe Apps is probably leaving a lot of scrap behind.

--Try the suggested cure for the "error 16" error.

--Try to revert to a last known good date if the above things don't help.

Another question. I used Reflect to make a recovery (image) disc a couple of days ago. If I was to put in a new hard drive, would this disc reinstall Win 10 to the new drive.?

I'm preparing for the worst.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 7:53 am    

Dave Potter wrote:
Wiz Feinberg wrote:
The current fast port is USB 3.1, which uses a special type of connector.

I bought a new PC a month ago, and it has 2 types of USB 3.1 connectors, along with several legacy USB 2.0 ports. The five USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A ports look the same as USB 2.0 ports, but with a red plastic part inside. USB 2.0 connectors will fit in them, with lower data speeds, of course. It also has one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port, which looks similar to a USB-mini connector.

Quote:
If, upon investigation, you learn that your computer lacks a USB 3 port, you may be able to install a board with a USB 3 chipset and 2 to 4 USB 3 jacks.

It's a laptop.

The manual says that the usb port I am using is 3.0. I wasn't aware of special cables. I looked inside the port, and the only difference is that the tab that slips into the cord is blue. No red plastic part.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 9:02 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

The manual says that the usb port I am using is 3.0. I wasn't aware of special cables. I looked inside the port, and the only difference is that the tab that slips into the cord is blue. No red plastic part.

USB 3.0 still uses a standard USB cable, unless you invest in a higher quality cord with less signal loss over 6 feet.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 9:43 am    

I would do a test by just copying a file from the hard drive to the external drive using the Windows File Explorer and see if that is/seems slower than usual. I don't think its a Macrium Reflect problem. You could try one of the other free disc image programs to see how that does for comparison but again I don't suspect the disc imaging program. If there isn't anything you want to save on that external disc, I would run a disc check on it and maybe even reformat it.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 9:53 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I would do a test by just copying a file from the hard drive to the external drive using the Windows File Explorer and see if that is/seems slower than usual. I don't think its a Macrium Reflect problem. You could try one of the other free disc image programs to see how that does for comparison but again I don't suspect the disc imaging program. If there isn't anything you want to save on that external disc, I would run a disc check on it and maybe even reformat it.

Right. I don't think it's a problem with Reflect. My computer has been running really slow lately. Here is an entry in the log for the backup.

Image Completed Successfully in 04:20:56

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/O Performance: Read 1.2 Gb/s - Write 80.4 Mb/s

That write stat looks bad.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 10:09 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

USB ports and cable connectors have matching colored plastic parts - the color of the plastic strip inside the ports/connectors is white for USB 2.0, blue for 3.0:

You can plug 2.0 connectors into 3.0/3.1 ports, but you'll only see 2.0 transfer speeds.

USB 3.1 connectors can be several colors, unfortunately, from what I'm seeing - in my new PC, they're red - but since you don't have that, it's not relevant.

Quote:
My plan for today is to:
--check to see if my HD needs to be defragging. All this trying to uninstall Adobe Apps is probably leaving a lot of scrap behind.

IMO, defragging won't fix programs not starting - it'll just defrag the files that aren't running anyway. If so many apps refuse to run, that indicts the system, rather than the apps, in my mind, IOW, a Windows problem.

I'd definitely open an elevated dos box and run chkdsk c: /f /r, then look at the Event Viewer/Windows/Applications log for the wininit entry and see what it found/fixed. I'd also use that elevated dos box to run sfc /scannow to look for system files Windows finds problems with, and fixes them, hopefully.

Quote:
I used Reflect to make a recovery (image) disc a couple of days ago. If I was to put in a new hard drive, would this disc reinstall Win 10 to the new drive.?

I would doubt it - I think Macrium images always want to be restored to their original location.

To restore, I use the Macrium "Rescue Media" disk I keep for the purpose, reboot with it, and it opens a "WinPE" offline environment outside of Windows, and allows me to search for the image I want it to restore from one of my external USB drives.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 10:34 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
USB 3.0 still uses a standard USB cable, unless you invest in a higher quality cord with less signal loss over 6 feet.

The construction of USB 3.0 cables is entirely different from that of USB 2.0 cables; USB 3.0 cables have nine internal conductors, vs the four in USB 2.0 cables. A USB 3.0 cable is required for USB 3.0 speeds.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 4:34 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:
Wiz Feinberg wrote:

The construction of USB 3.0 cables is entirely different from that of USB 2.0 cables; USB 3.0 cables have nine internal conductors, vs the four in USB 2.0 cables. A USB 3.0 cable is required for USB 3.0 speeds.

Does the external hard drive have to be usb 3.0 compatible? I don't know if mine is.

Well, I defragged/optimized my HDD. Things are moving much faster. Dreamweaver works if I am in administrator mode. That's cool. For now I am happy. But I still can't uninstall all of the Adobe Creative Cloud programs I had. Not even with Revo Uninstaller. Ccleaner can't remove them either.

I'm almost ready to buy a new hard drive and see if I can get my Windows 10 on there. Not sure how I can do that. I don't have the actual Win 10 software. This was a Win 7 that was upgraded to Win 10. I have all the software I use, so installing them will be OK. But I can live with what I have for now.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 9:26 pm    

Richard;
If you want the best data transfer rate, the external enclosure must also be USB 3.0 (to match the computer's USB 3.0 port). The USB cable should not exceed 6 feet, unless it is specifically made for low loss at extended lengths.

If you plan on replacing your existing system drive, consider buying an SSD of similar or greater capacity to the existing C drive. I've purchased Samsung and Crucial SSDs. The Samsung included Samsung Magician and the Crucial SSD had a coupon for a free download of Acronis True Image cloning software. I already had Acronis on my desktop PC and used it to clone the C drive onto the SSD. I swapped the cable from the old drive to the cloned SSD and it was recognized as the boot disk immediately. It is working flawlessly for a year now. The former boot disk is now a backup drive.

The Crucial SSD went into a Dell Latitude laptop. I bought it with a special USB enclosure and a license for Acronis. Since Acronis wan't installed on the laptop, I used the free license and cloned the C drive onto the external SSD. A few screws under the laptop's hard drive cover and out came the mechanical and in went the SSD drive. It booted up and has been working flawlessly for over 3/4 of a year.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 5:51 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Does the external hard drive have to be usb 3.0 compatible? I don't know if mine is.

All components, source device, cable, and destination device, in a USB3.0 connection have to be rated USB3.0 to achieve USB 3.0 speed, which is up to 5Gb/s, or more than 10 times the speed of USB 2.0. Using a USB 3.0 port and cable to connect to a USB 2.0 device will get a connection, but at USB 2.0 speed.

Quote:
But I still can't uninstall all of the Adobe Creative Cloud programs I had. Not even with Revo Uninstaller. Ccleaner can't remove them either.

Ccleaner never impressed me, which is why I harp on Jv16 Power Tools.

Sounds like you're headed for some serious manual registry editing - I wouldn't want to press on, knowing my registry was littered with remnants of failed uninstalls slowing my system down.

Caveats: Don't do it until you have done:

1) a full registry export and saved it externally,

2) a system restore point,

3) a VERIFIED image of C, stored externally, and

4) a Macrium Rescue Disk, KNOWN BOOTABLE (try it first) into WinPE (and Macrium) for restoring the drive image if it all goes south. In testing it, also be sure it can read the location where you've stored the image.

Registry editing is tedious at best, and there are entries that often require legerdemain with permissions to be able to delete some entries. It's a PITA, but sometimes, it's the only way.

Take a look at freeware RegmagiK registry utility 32-bit v4.9.15 (newer versions are payware). RegmagiK is a very fast registry editor, much faster than regedit, and it comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Paid versions are $15, a small price for such powerful software. With it, you could search for things like "adobe" and then decide if you want to have it delete those entries in the registry, for example. There are occasionally things it can't/won't delete, as noted above.

Quote:
I'm almost ready to buy a new hard drive and see if I can get my Windows 10 on there. Not sure how I can do that. I don't have the actual Win 10 software. This was a Win 7 that was upgraded to Win 10.

Googling this, I was surprised to read this response on Macrium's support forum. You might find it useful - it looks encouraging. My concern doing so would be that since your existing Win10 install is compromised, any image of it will be too.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 7:34 am    

Yeah, I've done my share of registry editing using regedit. Not fun at all. Good point about the problems with my system being in the image.

I'm pretty ignorant about ssd drives. Questions:

--Do they fit into a laptop's HDD drive bay?
--When I see ads for new computers, the list ssd drives at like 32gb or a little more. How does that work in place of a regular 1tb drive?

My laptop is about 4 or 5 years old, if that. It's a Lenovo Z50. I believe it came with Win 7 and I did the free Win 10 upgrade, so the one key recovery won't do me any good.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 9:12 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I'm pretty ignorant about ssd drives.
--Do they fit into a laptop's HDD drive bay?
--When I see ads for new computers, the list ssd drives at like 32gb or a little more. How does that work in place of a regular 1tb drive? My laptop is about 4 or 5 years old, if that. It's a Lenovo Z50.

I'm like you; haven't ever played around replacing/upgrading laptop hardware. But check this out - it might work. One SSD here is 1TB - there are smaller ones listed too. It does say a 9.5mm adapter is included, so maybe that's the answer to your compatibility question.

If you wanted to go "large" and upgrade everything, including a new Win10 install without the issues you're having, look at something like this, or any laptop that has a slot for the new M.2 NVMe PCI Express Gen 3 x4 "gumstick" form factor SSD - takes a special slot. They're the hottest thing out there now, and much faster than the fastest of the current SSDs. This laptop happens to have both a 128Gb M.2 stick, as well as a 1TB drive. Note that the bios has to be "NVMe aware" to allow booting from one.

My new PC has two of these bad boys installed, each 1TB. They're FAST.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 10:16 am    

I think I am going to go with a hard drive. Hard to justify $250 for a $300 laptop. I did order Windows 10 Home software. I'll turn the current HDD into an external or just a backup in case the new HDD dies. If I turn into an external, I'll get a USB 3.0 enclosure. I don't think the one I have is USB 3.0 compatible. And a 3.0 cable.