INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joke's on the boss
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post Posted 4 Dec 2017 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Not a typical joke, but a true story which is humorous.

Probably 30 years ago I was working for a small railroad where the manager was a bit of a PITA. He was a young guy, tall and thin, and between his appearance and his managing style he was nicknamed "The Rat".

So it was the last day before Christmas and the place was having an informal Christmas party. "The Rat" was back in his office finishing up a couple things, and the rest of us were sitting in the front office - office girls, some train crew, diesel mechanics, track guys, the whole bunch. And someone started discussing the manager. "Yeah, those beady eyes LOOK like a rat!" "He has that pointy mustache, perfect for rat whiskers" "Ever notice how he twitches his nose like a rat?"

Just then we heard footsteps coming from the back, our talking stopped, the door opened, and in walked the boss with a tray. And asked in all innocence "Would anyone like a piece of cheese?"

To this day I don't think he knows why the entire place collapsed in hysterical laughter which went on for about 3 minutes. If we all had not been fairly young, there would have been ambulances called for those who could not breathe!

Philadelphia, PA
Post Posted 4 Dec 2017 8:54 am     Reply with quote

www.JimCohen.com
www.BeatsWalkin.com
www.RonstadtRevue.com
www.sunfrog.com/PedalSteelThings/Steel-Guitar
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post Posted 16 Dec 2017 11:44 am     joke Reply with quote

I spose that was "Rat Cheese".
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post Posted 16 Dec 2017 11:55 am     joke Reply with quote

Don, you've caused me to reminence a bit. Back before they had convenience store we had small gas stations,w/attendants/owner and most sold bread, lunch meat cokes, crackers. You know, the staples that are required for survival. Our station,owned by Sam had a big block of cheese on the counter. It was called rat cheese. I don't know why that s just what it was called. I was kind of a "ward" of the village so when I got hungry and wandered in to Sam's place he asked me how much do you want? And he would move the knife around. He had a cow out back so he sold fresh milk. West Grove, Iowa. 1944-1949. Not a nickle in my pocket but I had some great times.I run in and out of there for years and never thought about any one hurting me. I'd sure hate to be on the streets alone today! Did not mean to steel your post. Please forgive.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post Posted 20 Dec 2017 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

No problem Fred! Enjoyable. I too remember when you got gas at a service station (actually worked at a few in my younger days).

And while this is drifting a bit from the original story, your mention of gas stations reminds me of one I worked in which was on a busy street corner, right near a hospital. There was always a steady stream of folks walking along the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.

We got the phone number of the pay phone booth at the intersection. When we saw a hot babe walking along, we'd take the rubber mallet and give OUR pay phone a healthy whap upwards on the bottom, thereby getting a dial tone without using a dime. We'd call the booth, and once in a while the babe would answer just out of curiosity. I don't think any of us ever got a date out of it, but we did have some interesting conversations. Laughing