The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Royalties and publishing of the legends of Steel Guitar
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 5:18 am    

Just wondering as I am listening heavily to different steel guitar legends.

Who collects their publishing and royalty cheques?
As I notice so many different releases, compilations, record labels and misspelt names on re-issues.

One thing I have noticed is that artists as legendary as Buddy (Buddie) Emmons didn't seem to die with cheques rolling in.

Now I know most people on here have better taste than crap pop music but damn their publishing and royalties are arranged and in place so even their kids will collect. Kind of feels like the steel guitar players work is paid as a session player only despite them contributing to the writing of the song(composition).

What gives?
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 5:46 am    

It's a good question and a good point. When I wanted to make an instructional video for Four Wheel Drive, I wrote to Buddy asking his permission.
He wrote back saying, "You have my permission, keep this for your records. I hope you sell a million copies." There was never any talk of royalties or publishing. He didn't know me from Adam.
Same with Herb Remington--all he wanted was to see a copy of my transcription.

When it came to recording Monk's music, I knew that paying publishing rights was an absolute must, both digital and physical rights.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 8:25 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
It's a good question and a good point. When I wanted to make an instructional video for Four Wheel Drive, I wrote to Buddy asking his permission.
He wrote back saying, "You have my permission, keep this for your records. I hope you sell a million copies." There was never any talk of royalties or publishing. He didn't know me from Adam.

When it came to recording Monk's music, I knew that paying publishing rights was an absolute must, both digital and physical rights.

True Mike. As us musicians respect and love the craft and appreciate what others do hence we want to give them credit but I'm getting the sense that some non-musician/executive is possibly re-issuing and banking the money that should go to the artist.

How many countless musicians have had this scenario played out.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 8:50 am    

Stefan Robertson wrote:
Mike Neer wrote:

True Mike. As us musicians respect and love the craft and appreciate what others do hence we want to give them credit but I'm getting the sense that some non-musician/executive is possibly re-issuing and banking the money that should go to the artist.

How many countless musicians have had this scenario played out.

Mike's experience doesn't surprise me. Given Monk was a prolific and successful composer, his heirs and no doubt also some corporate entities have an obvious interest in zealously controlling copyright - posthumously Monk remains a significant business asset. Mr. Emmons or Herb Remington, rather a different case.

I'd guess that earlier generations of "steel guitar legends" often relinquished copyright, in the case of recording original material, for a flat fee.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 8:53 am    

So what's interesting is which corporate thug owns Steel Guitar Jazz and his other albums.

Both names Buddy Emmons and Buddie Emmons

Same with Leon Mcauliffe and Leon McAuliff

and countless others cause I know Apple Music is paying someone? Aren't they?

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 10:09 am    

Stefan Robertson wrote:
So what's interesting is which corporate thug owns Steel Guitar Jazz and his other albums.

Both names Buddy Emmons and Buddie Emmons

Same with Leon Mcauliffe and Leon McAuliff

and countless others cause I know Apple Music is paying someone? Aren't they?

Steel Guitar Jazz was originally released on the Mercury label, which has subsequently been through a series of different corporate owners - who knows what that might mean for contractual agreement between the original company and the artist? Buddy only wrote one tune on that album, as regards authorship royalties.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 11:26 am    

Man my heart goes out to his family as all that work he put in and records he played on I think he and other steel players need to take a hint and get their publishing in order.

Painful.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 11:33 am    

https://networthpost.com/net-worth/buddy-emmons-net-worth/

Not sure how accurate this is?

google Tom Morrell net worth and it says 13 million

and Tommy White 850,000

I think this site is bogus but I'm sure it would have served their families for the countless hours of practice and sacrifice to be the stars they are.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 12:35 pm    

As one who lives on this side of the pond, what do you say to the fact Michael Jackson owned most of the Beatles compositions outright, and they had Apple Music before the other strange people claimed the Trademark to that little Green Fruit.

James.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 1:07 pm    

James Kerr wrote:
As one who lives on this side of the pond, what do you say to the fact Michael Jackson owned most of the Beatles compositions outright, and they had Apple Music before the other strange people claimed the Trademark to that little Green Fruit.

James.

I think though it was serious business acumen their should be a law protecting artists that only they can own their own publishing and companies should pay them a license to use them. Point Blank. The Beatles should own their own stuff. My personal opinion. Prince said it time and time again own your own publishing and buy your masters and become your own MASTER

Apple as a company name is a tricky one since the fruit existed before both companies and the name had been in circulation in everyday life. I think a more common sense approach would have been Apple Records vs Apple Computers.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 1:43 pm    

Stefan Robertson wrote:
James Kerr wrote:

James.

I think though it was serious business acumen their should be a law protecting artists that only they can own their own publishing and companies should pay them a license to use them. Point Blank. The Beatles should own their own stuff. My personal opinion. Prince said it time and time again own your own publishing and buy your masters and become your own MASTER

Apple as a company name is a tricky one since the fruit existed before both companies and the name had been in circulation in everyday life. I think a more common sense approach would have been Apple Records vs Apple Computers.

If you look at copyright law (in the US, anyway) prior to the 2nd half of the 20th c., it limited copyright to a fair period for the original author and then the "intellectual property" became public domain. I think the intent was to allow an individual to profit from their endeavors, while recognizing the public good of allowing universal access to intellectual property - in other words it attempted to strike a balance. It's since become grossly perverted, mainly so as to protect corporate profit in perpetuity: profit from ownership (perhaps dubiously acquired) of intellectual property they had no role in creating.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 10:10 pm     Maybe they do have their royalties payments in order

I feel for the various artists too, but remember all of the above speculation is just that speculation. You are only guessing whether or not they have royalties directed to their Heirs or Assigns.

Using the forum to spew a bunch of name calling is just awful.

All of the musicians you are talking about are or were ASCAP or BMI and most are - were Union too getting paid scale for sessions. I knew Michael Jackson and studied with Buddy Emmons and Herb Remington and know what I am talking about.

Regarding cover songs , there is a place in New York City called the Harry Fox Agency that many folks use to set up a fee for royalties payments on audio and video releases.

Regarding the Michael Jackson comparison, it is true that Paul McCartney advised Michael to go into buying royalties , and he purchased a lot of Beatles songs, which the original artists had signed off to Capital and others. Later Paul has said in interviews he bought a lot of that back so his estate would hold ownership.

Stefan's concerns are valid and well worth everyone's due diligence when making recordings for sale.

Rest assured that Emmons and Remington are both business savvy.
YouTube Channel

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 10:45 pm    

In 1985 when ownership of the Beatles catalog was in dispute and under the control of the court, Michael Jackson was able to purchase the rights to most of the songs for $47 million. McCartney was not happy about that and he has been trying to get the rights to his songs back since then. In 1995 when Jackson was in financial trouble he sold half of the catalog to Sony for $100 million. The other half remains in the Jackson estate. The entire catalog is now appraised at $1 billion according to the NY Times. McCartney is currently trying to buy back the entire catalog. There is some kind of a stipulation in the law that might make that possible now.