The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dicky Overbey on bass, with J.J. Cale in 1959?
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 10:58 am    

https://www.facebook.com/373151412864652/photos/pcb.757803017732821/757802277732895/?type=3&theater

The above link discusses the early days of J.J. Cale’s musical career in Tulsa, specifically his time in Benny Ketchum’s Western Playboys. This band was apparently the house band at Cain’s for a considerable time, beginning in about October 1959, when Cale would have been 20. Ketchum was 25.

Quote from the article:

“Apart from Ketcham and Cale, Dickey Overby on steel guitar was the other star instrumentalist in a band that consisted of them, bass, piano and drums”.

The picture below is included with this caption: “The Playboys with Overby, Ketcham and Cale leading”, implying they are the 3 guys at the microphone. No steel visible.

None of those 3 guys look like Dicky to me.

Presumably Cale on the right and Ketchum in the middle?

But is that Overbey on bass? Did he play bass? Was he from the Tulsa area?

Opinions?

For comparison, here is the earliest pic I have of Overbey, from about 8 years later when he was with Connie Smith.

Lastly:

http://picosong.com/wFGM8

Above link to a tune recorded with Ketchum’s band in 1961. The steel is much in a Ralph Mooney style. Any chance that is Overbey?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:08 pm    

Yes Mitch, Dicky was from the Tulsa area. His Dad was a local Fiddle player and the whole family was into music. My Dad was a fiddle player and I can kinda remember him talking about him some. I was 18 in 1959 and do remember Hershel Parker being played on air, KWHN Ft.Smith, Ark. and that very well could of been Dicky playing steel on that song. I saw Dicky a few short years later playing with Hank Jr. in an afternoon outdoor concert in some little town South of Tulsa a few miles. He was playing a Blanton D-10 Steel and did he ever make it rock. A lot of unknown artist recorded in Ft.Smith at Ben Jack's Studio, B-Jay Recording and it was really in Van Buren, Ark. I think. I could look it up, I have an album or two from their. Maybe Jerry Roller will see this and join in, he is from Van Buren and has played music their a long, well for a while. I do not think that is Dicky playing the bass? Hope this helps, J.R.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:26 pm    

Mitch, Is their any chance that maybe Benny Ketchum was also know as Benny Kubiack. (do not know spelling) He was a hot fiddler and vocalist here in those days playing at the Cain's & Cimmaron Bar Room & other places. Just wondering, J.R.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:30 pm    

On quite a few Amber Digby recordings Dicky sounds a lot like Moon to me.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:50 pm    

J R Rose wrote:
Mitch, Is their any chance that maybe Benny Ketchum was also know as Benny Kubiack. (do not know spelling) He was a hot fiddler and vocalist here in those days playing at the Cain's & Cimmaron Bar Room & other places. Just wondering, J.R.

JR:

Not as far as I know, although I think Kubiak spent time in Tulsa.

If Ketchum was aka Kubiak, I'd expect the obit to say so as Kubiak was pretty well known.

Is Kubiak alive?

Here is Ketchum's obituary; he passed in 2010 and was living in Dewey OK.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/examiner-enterprise/obituary.aspx?n=benny-george-ketchum&pid=144930791

Here is an old pic of Ketchum. Does that match Kubiak?

JR: do you think Overbey could possibly be the guy in the white shirt at the microphone? The caption says he is in that pic somewhere. The guy on the right looks the youngest of the 3, so I'd guess that is Johnny Cale.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 9:02 am    

Mitch, I do not know if Kubiak is alive. Smiley Weaver in Ada area might know if someone could contact him. I do not think he is a forum member. I think Kubiak was from the Ada area as well as Dale Potter who was of that same time frame & note I said I think? Picture of Ketchum does not look like Kubiak the best that I can recall. Could be Cale on the right but I think the guy in white shirt is too tall to be Overby. The guy on the bass has facial features of Overby but way too short unless the angle of camera makes him look that short. Overby had a very distinctive look about him. I have a or have seen the picture you have of him with all the Connie Smith Band. He had very heavy eye brows even as a young guy. Also was a slim man when young. Sorry I can't help you more, J.R.

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 12:01 pm    

Benny Kubiak is still alive. At least he was last weekend. He plays in the Alan Rudd Band, around Ardmore, Ok.