The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Remington SLX Sustainmaster SD12 (Sold)
Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 10:12 am    

Up for sale is a very nice Remington SLX Sustainmaster SD12 Ext E9th, 3 pedals 5 knees (Copedent below). This guitar was recently setup by Tom Bradshaw and is ready to play with no issues. Guitar sounds great and has excellent sustain. This is a pro level guitar in every respect, 3/8" stainless steel crossshafts, 13th finger in the changer for tuning half stops, setup for splits on every string, gauged rollers at the nut, notice the radiused edges on the end plates. Pedal action is light and the undercarriage is quiet thanks to nylon stops on the adjustments, in fact it's lighter and quieter than my 2017 Williams S12.

While the guitar is in fine playing condition, it is from the late 70's - early 80's and has that cool vintage vibe and the signs of age that come along with it....so please look closely at the photos, I'll also be happy to email photos to serious buyers. There is checking in the finish, and while the aluminum is all polished and looks great, it does also show the light surface marks from a guitar that has been played for 30 plus years. Also please note the slight wear in some locations along the edge of the fretboard, and the piece of electrical tape on the front edge of the fretboard to cover the aluminum to make it easier to see the 1st string. I did zero cleanup on the guitar before taking the photos, so this is how she looks. I've only seen one other 12 string Remington and it's likely these two could be all that were made.

Also please note, the case had seen better days when I received the guitar, so I rebuilt it. I'm 35 years into a commercial construction career, so have no fear the case was rebuilt correctly. The inside was completely redone with a new divider, supports for the guitar, and felt lining. The covering on the outside was in good shape and I didn't want to mess with that, so you will see the heads of the small stainless steel screws that were used ,in conjunction with re-gluing from the inside, to beef up the lid of the case. The guitar fits in the case like a glove.

The guitar will come with it's original Wallace True Tone pickup, not the extremely rare Telonics pickup in the photos. A Sharps led and rod bag and cover for the guitar are also included.

Obviously I want whoever buys the guitar to be a happy camper, so I have done my best to accurately describe it's condition. Please feel free to ask any questions. Asking $1650 plus shipping.

Last edited by Gino Cecchetto on 14 Feb 2018 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 4:15 pm    

Awesome build of a guitar, Gino.. with tidy upgraded case. The price is inside many a player's wheelhouse too. I am curious what the finish color is called? Do you know? Carpet stain master?...just kidding. But it is unusual.

Xlnt pics, BTW. Equal to Damir's shots.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 12:11 am    

Jon Zimmerman wrote:
Awesome build of a guitar, Gino.. with tidy upgraded case. The price is inside many a player's wheelhouse too. I am curious what the finish color is called? Do you know? Carpet stain master?...just kidding. But it is unusual.

Xlnt pics, BTW. Equal to Damir's shots.

Thanks. No clue what the finish was called, but despite the fact that it looks green now, it appears it was originally blue before the years took their toll. No one seems to have any interest in these guitars, so the cost is a total bargain for this quality of guitar.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 11:24 pm    

Folks, I'll be on a motorcycle ride to Death Valley Wed through Sunday, so I may not be able to respond until I return. Thanks

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 5:59 am     Remington S-12

Hello, do you know if parts would be available for the guitar if needed. I like the guitar but I would want to make it a U-12 not an extended E9.
I have a gorgeous Sierra Crown D-10 Gearless I currently play but it's too darn heavy. I'm interested in your guitar. Wish I had your Williams, thats my dream guitar. U-12 Williams with 8x5 including a 0 and a Franklin pedal. You say the Remington is lighter than the Williams, doe's it dance around a lot? Thanks. Chuck.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 4:08 pm     Re: Remington S-12

Chuck Morel wrote:
Hello, do you know if parts would be available for the guitar if needed. I like the guitar but I would want to make it a U-12 not an extended E9.
I have a gorgeous Sierra Crown D-10 Gearless I currently play but it's too darn heavy. I'm interested in your guitar. Wish I had your Williams, thats my dream guitar. U-12 Williams with 8x5 including a 0 and a Franklin pedal. You say the Remington is lighter than the Williams, doe's it dance around a lot? Thanks. Chuck.

The guitar uses some fessy parts, like the bellcranks. You would most likely have to use some other manufacturers pedals, but other than, it should be easy to modify. As far as weight, it’s 60 pounds in the case, not light. The comment I made was that the pedal and knee lever action is lighter than my Williams.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 8:26 am    

Wed bump.

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 7:08 am    

Solid guitar. This was my guitar a few years back. Loved it. Played well and sounded great. Sold it here on the forum to a gentleman up in Indiana.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 5:43 am    

better not be doing any acid while playing that. You might fall in and never get out.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 10:42 am    

Christmas bump.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 2:54 pm    

TTT

J.D.White

Lafayette, Louisiana
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 7:47 am    

I've got one almost identical except it's a U-12 in black mica. And it has a stabilizer system on it - which became standard around 1996/97.

Somebody may chime in to the contrary - but I don't believe Remingtons were being made that long ago. I have a bunch of old Steel Guitar World magazine back issues & Herb started advertising pedal steels around the early / mid 90s. Mine was built in 1999 & was probably one the last pedal models that were made.

When I received mine it included brochures for his new non-pedal line of steels (I have a D-8 non-pedal as well - also a well built steel).

And I'll definitely 2nd what you said about how smooth the pedals are!

Definitely a nice steel - good luck with your sale !

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 9:00 am    

J.D.White wrote:
I've got one almost identical except it's a U-12 in black mica. And it has a stabilizer system on it - which became standard around 1996/97.

Somebody may chime in to the contrary - but I don't believe Remingtons were being made that long ago. I have a bunch of old Steel Guitar World magazine back issues & Herb started advertising pedal steels around the early / mid 90s. Mine was built in 1999 & was probably one the last pedal models that were made.

When I received mine it included brochures for his new non-pedal line of steels (I have a D-8 non-pedal as well - also a well built steel).

And I'll definitely 2nd what you said about how smooth the pedals are!

Definitely a nice steel - good luck with your sale !

Thanks. bOb mentioned in a thread in the Pedal Steel forum that he thought there were probably 100 or less Remington pedal steels made. Funny how people have no interest because they aren't one of the "in" names in steels currently rather than looking at them as the quality instruments they are.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 8:44 am    

Somebody most be interested in a pro guitar at this very reasonable price!

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 11:04 pm    

Back to the top.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 2:42 am    

What a dream - would love to snatch this one up if my finances would allow it! Smile

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 11:43 pm    

Tim Russell wrote:
What a dream - would love to snatch this one up if my finances would allow it! Smile

Well....let's make a deal.

Mark Weese

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 12:32 am     Beautiful

That is just beautiful!

Not in my budget for my 1st PSG.
If you dont sell it right way, please PM me.
We can talk more on price.
I can buy through paypal.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 8:45 am    

Feel free to PM regarding your budget.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 9:02 am    

I met Bobby Bowman in 1996 at ISGC, he was manning the Remington booth. I think early to mid-90s is when they got going. Bobby probably assembled that very guitar.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 7:31 pm    

Sold Pending Payment. Donation inbound once payment is received.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 10:20 am    

Guitar is sold. Donation sent.