The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Paul Franklin Method
Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 4:42 am    

How does everyone like the test drive videos? Right hand video? What is Paul actually doing? Left hand video? What is he actually doing. I hope there has to be more actual teaching, but so far what I learned is that Paul can play very fast.
I have seen the full course schedule. My question is what is the length of time of all the videos combined?

Stan Coffman

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:40 am     The Paul Franklin Method

I am excited to see more. The test drive selection is good. However, I wonder what will be the standard camera angle will be for most of the videos? Will it be like the 5511 one? I hope not, the view of looking at the back of Paul's hand does not give the picking detail I'd like to see. I hope that's not indicative of the rest of the videos.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:18 am     Franklin

Stan, I agree with you 100%. The sample videos have not yet sold me on the PFM. I will go back and carefully review each one. The how to practice video--- no substantive information.

Tony Ortega

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 7:32 am     Congratulations

Paul,
Congratulations on your new lessons and format. This all sounds great! I'm sure it will be a big success and a great option for steelers to learn from your wonderful experience.

Thanks

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:02 am    

I just reviewed the demo and it looks 👍! I will definitely be onboard. When I read some of these comments I cannot help but think what do these people want or expect? You can’t buy ability or skills? Paul sums it up perfectly when he talks about giving you the tools to learn, from his perspective. I am excited and very glad he has taken this approach. Can hardly wait to get started.

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 6:46 am     Camera angles

I had no problem with any of the camera angles. They are very good. In fact, the overhead camera angle is phenomenal. It's kind of a player's eye view. It allows you to see how the master moves his hand and forearm latterally across the guitar and retains his form and picking patterns.

As for the value of the content, there's $500 worth of teaching in the previews if you only listen to what Mr Franklin is saying. I've been playing pedal steel since 1972, and been lucky to enough to study with some the best musicians and teachers in the world - I am totally stoked about Paul's project. This course is exactly what the steel guitar needs. Thank you, thank you, thank you Paul Franklin!!!

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 9:13 pm    

Would this course be worth it as applied to a 12 string Universal E9/B6 tuning?

Thanks
K

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 7:31 am    

People get all carried away with tunings. I consider it like painting by numbers. If you want color five you just need to know where the jar is. A universal usually just has two more strings and string 9 is a D on most E9 D10’s.You probably have a knee that performs that.
To me the real value of this course is to understand the underlying musical concepts that PF has developed over his career. They apply to any Steel.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 7:46 am    

I understand the course now has over 100 lessons,,,wonder how long each "lesson" is???

Steven Cabral

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 4:06 pm    

I've been wondering on the length of the lessons as well . This has been raised a number of times but haven't seen a response .

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 5:09 pm     Franklin

I believe lessons run from 4 minutes to 8 minutes.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 12:46 pm    

4 to 8 minutes???,,,that's a video clip!! Surely the lessons will be at least 30 minutes. All the cost comparisons have been based on live face to face lessons for a year,,,,most live lessons are at least 30 minutes.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 1:29 pm    

Well, I would assume lesson length would vary depending on the subject being discussed but an 8 minute average would seem a bit short. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes, but there is only so much to talk about on how to bend your picks or how to do a repetitive exercise. Just my 2 cents....

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 5:30 am    

How much computer equipment are you going to have to have to take this course, and will it be available on just DVD? I am no computer GURU at all, as a matter of fact I hate them.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 5:43 am    

A good teacher can show you in five minutes an exercise that you may have to go away for months to practice before you're ready for the next step. In fact, one of the most famous jazz teachers, Dennis Sandole, who taught Pat Martino, John Coltrane and many others, used to teach that way. There would be no point having your next lesson until you had digested and applied the last lesson. You go away and come back when you're ready.

Personally, I have learned a fair bit of jazz guitar by studying online with Jimmy Bruno whose video lessons are also typically under 10 minutes. It doesn't take long to introduce and demonstrate a new concept, or a new outside pitch, and explain how to use it. But then to go away and (1) get it under your fingers fluidly; (2) get it in your ear; (3) start to actually use it in context; (4) turn it inside out, play it backwards, etc. and make it your own... that's where the real work, and the real learning, comes.

Even though Bruno lives right up the street from me, and I could take lessons with him personally, I see no reason to do so. Why pay more for a 30- or 60- minute in-person lesson when I know he will show me something in the first 5 minutes that I need to go away and work on before I'm ready for the next step. I don't need to sit there for the rest of the lesson time and practice in front of him while the meter's running!

I trust Paul to know what he's doing.

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 7:58 am     franklin methord

your right jim; I started the trial back a couple weeks ago and after playing 40 years the course has already helped me paul's left hand video made me look closer at my left hand position from a couple different angles and I've found I have picked up a bad habit of being a little off the fret position a little left or right not enough that the band members would know but enough I can hear it so I took some slow songs I play well and while playing got my head around and checked my bar position and my vibrato and these slow songs sound fantastic just by taking it slow and playing with perfect tone
I worked a whole week on this!! one section
i'am loving it

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 8:32 am    

It will be there for us if we choose to take it. These were not available for most of us learning to play years ago. He has been around the best players for years and it will be nice to see where he gets his idea's from.Most of us play with the feelings we are having at the time we are playing so that can't be taught. Just my thoughts. Thanks Paul

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 8:36 am    

Yes Jim,,,I totally agree!!! I also think the key words,,or phase here is "applied",,,and "how to use it",,,which should be in all cases,"the other half of the lesson". Youtube is full of how to licks,,,"10 licks in 10 minutes",,etc. But a suggestion,,or instructions on where and how to use it is always good,,,whether the student is a beginner or seasoned,,,a suggestion or different perspective on how to use something is definitely,,,"the rest of the story".
I trust that Paul (as the other Paul did) will always include,,"the rest of the story".

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 10:34 am    

Jim Reynolds Wrote:
Quote:
How much computer equipment are you going to have to have to take this course, and will it be available on just DVD? I am no computer GURU at all, as a matter of fact I hate them.

I would think there are not any plans presently to put it on DVD. I think Paul and company are trying to avoid issues with people copying any CD/DVD they would produce by limiting access to solely online and non-downloadable lessons. This way they maintain tight control over access and making sure they are paid for that privilege.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 12:22 pm    

As a side note regarding the cost of this course. I personally always pay CC in full every month to avoid interest. But yesterday I received (as I'm sure all of you receive frequently) a CC offer of 0% interest for 12 months!!! 40 bucks a month for 12 months = $480,,,,the cost of the course,,,,with 5 bucks left over!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 12:24 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
...yesterday I received (as I'm sure all of you receive frequently) a CC offer of 0% interest for 12 months!!! 40 bucks a month for 12 months = $480,,,,the cost of the course,,,,with 5 bucks left over!

One has to be careful with such offers. Sometimes they just mean that you don't have to pay any interest for 12 months but they are still accruing the interest and adding it to your balance during those 12 months. So just be sure that's not the case when you look at an offer like that.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 2:03 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Sonny Jenkins wrote:
...yesterday I received (as I'm sure all of you receive frequently) a CC offer of 0% interest for 12 months!!! 40 bucks a month for 12 months = $480,,,,the cost of the course,,,,with 5 bucks left over!

One has to be careful with such offers. Sometimes they just mean that you don't have to pay any interest for 12 months but they are still accruing the interest and adding it to your balance during those 12 months. So just be sure that's not the case when you look at an offer like that.

Indeed.

But if you scrupulously pay that $40 a month (or more), the balance will be paid off before they charge any interest. That was my point to some above who were complaining that the Franklin Method folks didn't offer "financing".

Again, there are ways to make this work, IF a person is motivated enough. If not, there are always excuses not to.

I know about those!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 3:00 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Sonny Jenkins wrote:

Yes Jim,,,unfortunately, I have no more money next month than I do this month,,,so therefore I'm just as well off to pay when due as later. I just put this out to maybe help someone see other possibilities.

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 6:06 pm     Re: Test drive

Gary Cooper wrote:
How does everyone like the test drive videos? Right hand video? What is Paul actually doing?

What I learned from the right hand video is "pick blocking" would be better named "finger blocking" because although a lot of blocking is with the pick, a fair bit is with the fingernail and some is with the knuckle.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 8:20 am    

I would urge everyone who can, to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to study with one of the great masters of the PSG, Paul Franklin. You will have access to his lifetime of learning at your fingertips. As with Jeff Newman's lesson, you will have the ability to watch something over and over again until you have it figured out.

Don't let this go by. My best wishes to all.