The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wireless Speaker Recommendations?
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 12:54 pm    

I have finally joined the space age and upgraded from my clunky old PC. I just got a Dell XPS laptop which I can use with the Wi-Fi internet setup in my house. I primarily want to use this laptop for music...tabbing out steel parts on CD's and youtube videos, instructional videos, etc. I think it will spend most of it's time in my music room. Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless speakers to go with the laptop to upgrade the quality of what I'll be listening to on the laptop? Thanks in advance and don't be afraid to put things in real basic terms for me - I'm the guy who still puts out handwritten Forum tab! Smile

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 4:09 pm    

I just run a 3.5mm cable to my stereo. Cables with 3.5TRS at one end and 2X RCA at the other are cheap
And I've not seen many affordable computer speakers that sound as good as even a mid-priced stereo system.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:12 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
I just run a 3.5mm cable to my stereo. Cables with 3.5TRS at one end and 2X RCA at the other are cheap
And I've not seen many affordable computer speakers that sound as good as even a mid-priced stereo system.

+1 to that.

There are bluetooth headphones of reasonable quality at sensible prices around, but good wireless speakers are hard to find unless one wants to pay many times that of regular speaker/amp systems.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 4:14 pm    

Hey Jeff!

Try sonos.com for wireless speakers that are a cut above the average. The set up can be extended throughout your house. That is, you can wirelessly "broadcast" whatever is on your computer (or on the web, through your computer) to other sonos components in your basement, attic, living room, et cetera.

If you are just using one set of speakers located near your computer, using a 3.5 mm plug out of your headphone jack on the computer to "powered" speakers would work fine. Guitar Center or many electronics stores have a good selection. I use JBL Series 3 Studio Speakers and love them.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 1:37 pm    

Thank you for the advice Lane, Georg, and Dan. The beers are on me when we meet as you guys have saved me a lot of money here in the Christmas season! I was able to order the cable for less than $10 from Sweetwater. I have JBL powered monitors in my music room so that should work out great with my laptop.
I'll slow time investigate sonos, Dan since I've also been known to have an instrument set up in my livingroom. Smile