The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Vibraphone - biggest compliment to the Hawaiian steel.
Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 7:48 pm    

I find the sound of Sam Koki's Paradise Island Trio to be one of the more interesting small group sounds leading up to the '40s. Sam Koki playing steel, Erwin Yeo at the organ, and Russ Magnus on the vibraphone - combining for an ethereal, fascinating sound.

Drowsy Waters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJcwBy7Fhk

Isle of Golden Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uCFZ_ZkKtw

Probably just my affinity for all three instruments... I could understand if anybody found this to be tacky, but I think it's wonderful.
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:14 am    

Levi Gemmell wrote:
I find the sound of Sam Koki's Paradise Island Trio to be one of the more interesting small group sounds leading up to the '40s. Sam Koki playing steel, Erwin Yeo at the organ, and Russ Magnus on the vibraphone - combining for an ethereal, fascinating sound.

Drowsy Waters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJcwBy7Fhk

Isle of Golden Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uCFZ_ZkKtw

Probably just my affinity for all three instruments... I could understand if anybody found this to be tacky, but I think it's wonderful.

Of course it's tacky - that's part of the charm of this sort of music sub-genre. Thanks for posting.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 7:50 pm     Had a set of vibes once

Many years ago, about 1973 maybe I had my guitar shop in Willits, California where I built, repaired and sold guitars as well as strings and the usual music shop stuff.
Don't now remember how it happened that I took in a set of Ludwig Vibes with a broken motor. Right away I fell in love with the sound that didn't seem to come from the instrument, but rather the notes seem to resonate from some place in heaven.

I had no talent with drum sticks or those ball ended ones that came with the vibes.
My friend Steve who was a drummer as well as a flute player took right to it and in no time at all was filling my shop with beautiful music often.
I ended up giving him the vibes when he moved away to San Francisco where he took lessons from the great Bobby Hutchinson RIP.

Also about that time Bobby and another guy, trumpet player who's name escapes me were teaching music theory at the "Both Ends" club on Divisadaro street in SF. That was a well known jazz club for a long time.
Anyway I took several of those Saturday morning classes. I'm no jazz guy, but thats where I learned about the number system and chord construction. They sure packed a lot into those Saturday mornings.
I also learned what perfect pitch was there; On day a cars breaks screeched outside and Bobby said "Oh man! That's a F#, check it out" pointing to a fellow sitting next to a piano. He played the F# and it was dead on.... Whoa! Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 3:02 pm    

I have a two and a half octave set of aluminum Jenkins? Vibraphone notes from the 40s or 50s that I have no clue what to do with. That and a bunch of other parts, a motor, the butterflys etc.

Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 8:42 am    

https://soundcloud.com/vandura/sneaky-tiki

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 12:52 pm    

Old thread.....but I'm now the owner of a rough but heavenly sounding 30s or 40s Deagan 35 Vibraharp. Just needs a new belt for the rotors. The wife is interested in learning it which will add a nice sound to my little combo.

It is really fun to play!

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 2:41 pm    

Congratulations, and good luck with the vibes!

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 4:20 pm    

Search Benjamin Rogers on ITunes.Most if not all of these recordings feature Vibes and the great Benny Rogers on steel.
ALOHA