The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right Hand Alpha by Jeff Newman
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2011 10:09 am    

I love this !! I don't know how I survived this long without it !!

Adam Moritz

Cedar Rapids, IA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2011 11:17 am    

I keep hearing many people speak highly of this material. Would you mind giving me a summary of what it is, and why you like it so much? I have read through scores of pages that say, "it has helped my right hand technique." So, what is it that improves, or what specific techniques are part of the instruction? Pick blocking? Picking patterns? Does it improve speed picking? Does anyone have an example of why this is so good? I'm curious, and glad you have brought this to the top Karen, and I hope your current projects are progressing as you've planned!

Chris Buchanan

Macomb, IL
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2011 5:56 pm    

It teaches palm blocking in a very clear and concise way. He takes you through the mechanics of how it works and then gives some exercises. No fancy licks or anything-it's a primer on how to block, which takes time to learn, as we know. If you want to learn palm blocking, this will teach you.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 6:26 am    

A couple of things I really like about this video...
there is no fluff. It really focuses on the right hand and nothing else, and is not an overwhelming amount of material, just some basic patterns and specific instructions on hand positioning.
I have been much more comfortable with pick blocking, it just comes more natural to me. I plan to work on these palm blocking exercises a little bit every day and feel confident that my playing will improve a lot just from doing these exercises.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 8:35 pm    

I agree, i adapted the 'pinching' method, thumb and second finger, just one year ago, it takes time, but it is worth the effort. No it does not make you a master player, No form of instruction does!!

Lenny Wehrle

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:21 am     Right Hand Alpha

Is anybody reproducing this lesson plan?
CD, pdf or mp3 versions??
I'm bouncing all over youtube videos, not much structure there.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:25 am    

Lenny,
I believe it's still available from Jeffran Music.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:50 am    

I think this video goes a loooong way explaining the concept,,,notice the relaxed ease,,,minimal, very minimal yet purposeful movement. TECHNIQUE to the Nth degree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY53zX4D9ik

It is my understanding that he was visiting a students "cabin" at the school, saw his guitar set up, sat down and started playing. For sure he could play ANY copedent. When I was there he went around the class making sure everyone's guitar was "functional",,,played them all with expertise!!

Here is another example of right hand technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1s054PrC-o

I've had this course for 30 years,,,every year or so I come back to it and refresh,,,,guess I'll never "master" it,,,but it always goes a long way in improving my sound,,,,

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 11:34 am    

As for the course,,,seems like every time I go back and review, I become more "deliberately focused" on that technique,,,and then the notes sound so much more clear?,,sustained?,,,something. Then somehow after a while,,slowly start loosing it,,,then come back and go through it again,,,,maybe someday it will stick,,,,LOL. It's been an ongoing process for 30+ years!!!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 1:50 pm    

This course represented a breakthrough for me. I was trying to palm block but had the problem of strings "escaping" through the creases in the edge of my hand. Newman starts with the hand far enough out over the strings to ensure that you're on the good bit of your hand. Then if you end up having to bend your fingers back a long way to pick the string, tough - so be it. You end up with a flat hand and a clean attack.

Contrast his C6 workshop where he demonstrates the raking action of the thumb for four-part chords and warns against having the hand too flat!

Which shows that you have to be adaptable and there is no hard-and-fast right way of doing anything on this instrument Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 3:19 pm    

Hmm, flattening out the hand...?
One similarity I've noticed watching Jeff Newman and Buddy Emmons' right hand technique, the Great Pyramid comes to mind. That index finger metacarpal joint is always up, and the edge of the palm is down. The view of the hand from the front is triangular, and seems to maintain this orientation whether blocking or picking.

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 12:18 pm     right hand

I have his right hand course, and it really works! I can pick cleaner and faster. then I slip back into my hand laying flat like a claw! As soon as I remember to do what Jeff said, elbow tucked in some, and holding my hand like I was holding a coke bottle slanted a little to the left, I'm back in the groove again. He was a great teacher.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 1:22 pm    

Ian,,,not to contradict you without going back to the C6 workshop video, but I think Jeff ALWAYS advocated the "peaked" knuckle position,,,,and I can get some very nice, smooth, even rakes with that position,,,took a little while to get it smooth. Push your hand forward and grab the highest note with your finger and close your thumb toward it,,,like a smooth gentle finger snap. Maybe break your wrist upward just a little.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 2:33 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Push your hand forward and grab the highest note with your finger and close your thumb toward it,,,like a smooth gentle finger snap. Maybe break your wrist upward just a little.

Yes, this is how I have been trying to do it too, for 4 or 5 string chords with skips between strings. Definitely a slight break of the wrist to the right, like turning a door knob. When the strings are consecutive (8-7-6-5) I just strum though.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 4:27 pm    

Yes,,,I'd just grab 5 with my middle finger and gently strum through with thumb. Sometime just practice strumming chords up and down the neck.