The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fedex Fragile Gound Shipping
Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 6:00 pm    

Him have received two pedal steel shipments without a crush or Mark of any kind on the boxes. I highly recommend this fairly new (at least to me) shipping service. I hope this,is,right place to post. I am a believer in freedom of speech
But please don't use me if u get a Mark. I 've had good luck and hope u do 2. Crazy Arizona,Art
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 6:37 pm    

All three of the big parcel carriers are working on reducing the damages to the stuff that is (or was) too big for the conveyor belts.
FXG (disclosure: I drive for a Linehaul contractor for them: I don't touch the packages, I pull sealed trailers all over the country) has recently greatly expanded the width of the belts at most hubs.
Steels are usually too big or heavy to ride the belts around the sorting system, and instead have to ride flat carts with a minimal rim to them. Between 3 and 7 percent of the stuff on the carts falls off, so it drops almost two feet to concrete. THIS IS COMMON TO ALL THREE.
If you know that the two foot drop is possible and you prepare your shipment to withstand such a drop, it can easily survive.
So thank you for the kind words, and we're glad you had either good luck or well packaged stuff.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 6:56 pm     Fedex Fragile Gound Shipping

Had such good,luck for a change, wanted others to know. I was trembling at the thought of shipping. I know others had same type experiences. Wanted them to know there was some good experiences. lol
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 7:12 am    

My Justice Pro Lite was shipped via FedEx Ground from Mesa, AZ to the Southern Coast of Maine. Not a mark on the package, also Fred packed it very well.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 11:38 am     Fedex Shipping

POSTED to help other forumites know about the great service, thanks for chipping in. Art

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 6:29 pm    

this is what my 1965 fingertip looks like after being delivered by FedEx yesterday...

Art Beard

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:28 pm     FedEx fragile shipping

Damir, was that shipped "FedEx FRAGILE GROUND SHIPPING, or just FedEx shipping. Cuz the damage is totally unexceptable.! ! That is reason for "Unjustifiable homicide". Very important to know if it the "FRAGILE groin shipping. Sorry 4 ur loss. Art

Art Beard

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:30 pm     FedEx fragile shipping

Hopefully repairable damage

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:42 pm    

Art, I wasn't home when guitar arrived , but it was probably just a regular FedEx Ground or Home Delivery ... insurance claim was filed, and we'll see what happens ... if FedEx pays out the claim they will take guitar, if they don't pay I will have guitar completely restored by Mike Scaggs , and its going to be the coolest freaking guitar you've ever seen lol

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 12:03 am     Re: FedEx fragile shipping

Art Beard wrote:
Damir, was that shipped "FedEx FRAGILE GROUND SHIPPING, or just FedEx shipping. Cuz the damage is totally unexceptable.! ! That is reason for "Unjustifiable homicide". Very important to know if it the "FRAGILE groin shipping. Sorry 4 ur loss. Art

Better question: was it packaged to withstand the drop to concrete?
An awful lot of shippers (that's the people sending the package) think their package is invulnerable. And, although we're trying to get better, stuff still falls off the cart.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 8:08 am    

To me Damir and you certainly know since being in the shipping biz for years and years; it is NOT Fedex fault what happened to the steel(yes certainly their fault for throwing the box)….it is the person that packed it for shipping that made that damage possible....PERIOD...!!!
I have shipped hundreds of steels over the years with ZERO damage…..and certainly some of those boxes were thrown 10 feet onto concrete….and nothing happened because how it was packed in its case and then in the box around it.
Ricky

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 3:30 pm    

Ricky, throwing the guitar is PROBABLY not what happened (throwing a steel takes too much energy). A few years ago when there was a spate of these happening to Fo'Bros, I spent the best part of a month watching our sorting and loading operation while waiting for them to finish loading our trailers. If the 'Tip in question was a D-10, it may well have gone from dock to sort to the next dock on a flat cart with solid rubber tires and only a 1 inch lip, pulled by a Towmotor. Between 4 and 7 percent of the stuff that rides the cart falls off, while moving at jogging speed. They're trying to improve the damage rate, but the carts remain a known failure point.

That said, you're SPOT ON. Yes, the carrier should not have allowed it to fall, but the shipper/packager should have packed it to withstand the fall.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 4:45 pm    

I just spent a couple of weeks as a package handler at the FedEx Ground distribution center outside Chicago - I didn’t see any package abuse. Lane’s right: these things are too heavy to throw around but, yes, the floor is concrete and the IC conveyor belt is about 4 feet high, so bad things can happen but not so much if the guitar doesn’t go on a plane.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:23 pm     FedEx fragile shipping

Investing in something I love and hoping 4 a equal or more interest (Bank. 03%). I have received my third shipment thru FedEx FRAGILE GROUND SHIPPING without a,crush Mark or Mark of any kind of the square box . The last containing a guitar. They are making a believer out of me.
Truly sorry that any one received damaged goods.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:27 pm     FedEx fragile shipping

These guitars were packaged to avoid harm. But no Marks seen as cases were just in simple box with no more protection then the box.. the shippers did take great effort inside the guitar cases.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:17 am    

I don't think I would really put all of the blame on FedEx, that kind of stuff can happen to any shipper not just FedEx... it is what it is right now, damage claim has been filed, and if FedEx pays out they will take possession of the guitar, in the other hand, if they refuse to pay, I will have this guitar restored to like new condition, and it's going to be the sharpest fingertip you'll ever see ...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:34 am    

Art, I've been through the FedEx site a few times and I can't find any information concerning Fedex Fragile Ground shipping option. Is it specific certain areas?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 9:31 am    

I've never heard of anything more than marking standard Ground "Fragile." I'll make an inquiry.

I can also guarantee that the package handlers unloading are under intense time pressure, and they could EASILY miss a label calling for special handling.
I also strongly suspect that anything calling for special "fragile" handling would go on the towmotor carts. There's literally no chance of your guitar getting hand carried.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 3:37 pm    

Don't waste your time marking ANY package - regardless of shipper - with anything other than the shipping label.

The only things that are "read" by anyone except drivers are bar codes (and some drivers don't pay attention to written stuff like "This end up" "fragile" etc) . Weight sorting is done on the initial ramps by automated systems - and not every heavy package end up on a cart, especially if the ramps are packed.

Even package movement on "forklifts" inside warehouses is done robotically, with some of them manned only as backup systems or for physically untangling loads.

In a few cases *very* oversized (like an upright bass that was shipped to one time...errr, well, it was still lost for a week) or heavy packages (like steels) may end up on a cart...possibly a *manual* cart...but I never assume so, having been through most carriers' hub-type processing centers at some point and having talked to various managers.

To be safe every package not shipped via a specific "hand-carry" method (even a "fragile" service) should be packed to survive an 8' fall onto concrete in case it ends up processed in a normal warehouse system.

I've shipped hundreds of items including heavy tube amps, steels and vintage instruments & had one shipping problem - when an amp was speared right through the box (and one speaker) by a lift.

Not much you can do to protect against that one!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 6:34 pm     Ups

I have shipped a few PSG's UPS. Had good luck. I do know one thing and that is to do a good job of packing and wrapping. I also put Fragile markings all over the box just so know one forgets!!! Dropping any package to the floor is unacceptable. That's what they get paid for!!! Only issue I had over the years was that UPS lost a package of mine that was insured and they did not want to pay me the value I insured it for and beat it all they packaged it for me! That was the day that UPS backed their BUTT into a running buzz saw!!! I did get my money, One month later!!!

Art Beard

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:19 am     Fedex Shipping

Mark Shuda was the 1st to tell me about it, and i was still worry til the steel arrived. I have now recieve 4 instruments with no maks or crushing on the outside of the bosxes. There has been no Fragile stickers on these boxes. So I have requested that everyone shipping an instrument to me to use this shipping. hope it keeps working this way, as i will ship this way. Just havwnot had to send anything yet, CAA

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 9:31 am    

Quote:
I also put Fragile markings all over the box just so know one forgets!!! Dropping any package to the floor is unacceptable. That's what they get paid for!!!

Respectfully - this is incorrect. Robots don't get paid. Automated barcode readers don't get paid. And drivers don't get paid to read your package. Not in about 30 years.

As an example - UPS drivers have an average of 3 minutes to take care of EVERYTHING to complete each stop:

Get there from the last stop, where they glanced at their handheld GPS/computer/scanner - which then told them to stop at your location

Scan the next box. If a confirmation blinks, pull it out of the truck
& cart it to your door

Wait for you to answer (they hate this part. The longer you make them wait the worse the rest of the day will be.)

Get you to sign and escape as quickly as possible. They try to be nice - but usually while walking away. There is no time to talk
Run back to the truck while glancing at the next location on their handheld

Drive away - fast - while avoiding kids, dogs, cars etc

==>NOT on the list - reading stuff written on the package.

They don't even look at the label - they just scan it before taking it to the door and again when it's delivered. If you hear a "ding" on your computer it's your courtesy "delivery" scan alert.

If a delivery takes longer than 3 minutes they have to cut another one short.

**They don't have TIME to read notes wrote on a package.**

Drivers for every carrier are under a huge amount of pressure to compete their route on time. They get paid for going from A to B to C...etc....within a predetermined time period while delivering boxes according to a small computer screen.

And to repeat, in warehouses - for the most part - there are not people handling packages. Nearly all handling is done by machines.

You can write "fragile", this side up" - or "throw this package off a roof". Chances are nobody will read it.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 2:47 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:

And to repeat, in warehouses - for the most part - there are not people handling packages. Nearly all handling is done by machines.

Respectfully, how do you think all those packages get loaded into the back of the truck?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:20 pm    

I do business with an Econo-Box store whose manager is also a musician, so he knows how to pack the instruments I bring in to ship.

First he makes sure the instrument is completely immobile inside the case, then surrounded by double cardboard in a brand new box, with a MINIMUM of three inches of taped bubblewrap around EVERYTHING. He does a beautiful packing job, several Forumites have gotten instruments from me that he packed. Just the packing is $70, but I consider it additional insurance and the purchaser understands it's part of the cost of the transaction.

Brand new box, packed by their authorized dealer, makes any damage liability harder to argue with, IMHO.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 9:03 am    

One thing to consider here is, people on here complain when a carrier damages something and start saying never to use that carrier. What about the hundreds who have good experiences? They usually don't post about getting a package in great condition. A month ago I received my new Mullen guitar, shipped UPS ground. Not a single abnormal mark or dent on the box. We are kind of like the Yelp of the steel guitar world. People mostly post on Yelp when they have issues. But what about the hundreds of customers who had good experiences.

I've had a couple of jobs where I was in charge of shipping and receiving, and got visits from all the carriers to get our business. The UPS guy said a package shipped should be able to withstand a fall from the belly of an airplane, even if shipped ground. Even though most stuff shipped air are in containers that get unloaded from the plane. But, I worked for an automatic door company (Stanley Magic Door) which made entrance doors for grocery stores, hospitals, etc... We had to fly out a header (the prt at the top of the door that holds thd motor, control, et...) from Connecticut to California next day air). These are 10 to 15 feet long and weigh between 100 to 150 pounds. One came in totally trashed. I can't remember, but I think it was DHL. It had fallen out of the belly of the plane according to the rep. They are too long for the package containers that carriers use. Stanley made a new one and shipped it a few days later via the same carrier and barely a mark on it. And I worked for the Bridgeport (milling machines) distributor in the Bay Area. They shipped us motor for a machining center that was destroyed by FedEx next day air. Both claims (handled by the shippers as I refused the shipment) were refused because they were not "properly packed". That actually was the case in my opinion.

The moral of my very long winded dissertation is: pack the heavy fragile stuff twice (of more) better than you would sending a quilt to grandma.