The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adding Knee Levers to a Sho-Bud - How Difficult/Expensive?
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 2:01 pm    

Hello,

There has been some pretty tempting deals on the forum recently for some S-10 Sho-Buds.

Several have been 3X1. I was wondering how expensive and difficult it would be to add three additional levers.

I am aware of http://www.psgparts.com but I don't see any all-inclusive kits with the levers, brackets, pull rods, etc.

Any info on what to expect to pay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 2:30 pm    

I would have bought the guitar I've got listed but I don't play 10 string at all. But I did some very rough parts list calculations and came up with very approximately $475 in parts for 3 levers (all the parts for 3 new levers with two pulls per lever.) Parts only, of course.

I did some work moving and adding levers on my Bud 12 string with the same vintage of pull mechanism. There is some puzzle work involved in positioning things so that there is room to put the stops and so that things fold up proper etc. But it is fairly straight forward if you have good mechanical brain and chops.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 3:14 pm    

adding a knee lever to an ALL PULL system is quite straight forward. Placement is fairly simple and I believe Jon has the cost for each pretty darn close .

This is not rocket science . The most important part of installing the levers is the placement . You can view photo's of other similar guitars to get a pretty good idea where to mount them and HOW to mount them.

The kits include a cross shaft and two brackets, the knee lever with mounting bracket, 1 or 2 bell cranks and 1 or 2 rods . A "STOP" should also be included to prevent the knee lever from excessive travel.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 4:13 pm    

On reassessment, my figure seems low. But it still gives you an idea.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 4:39 pm    

Quote:
but I don't see any all-inclusive kits with the levers, brackets, pull rods, etc.

And you won't for a Sho~Bud. Sho~bud changed something in their mechanism almost every year and certainly every few years it is completely different from previous. SOOOOO....you will need to know what you want for the mechanism that you have. If you don't know the mech you have; then you already answered the question of "How hard or easy is it to do this work"..ha...
Fortunately you have folks like MYSELF and Michael Yahl at www.psgparts.com that DO know what you would need from a simple picture of what you want and where and what does it do.
Ricky

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 6:01 pm    

Hey Joe, why you no call me? You don't need no stinking kit. If you see a guitar you want, grab it. I have a nice stash of Bud parts, and can fabricate the rest of whatever you might need to get you set up and dialed. You need to visit more often anyway.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 8:18 pm    

What Ricky said. If you're newer, it'll be a lot harder to figure out what you need than it will be to install it. If Ian is close to you, take him up on that offer.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:10 am    

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. Gotta love this forum!

I've been in touch with Ian and I think I'm going to try to track down a S10 with the same mechanism as my D10 so we can set them up identically.

Now the hunt is on for a decent price on a S10 with a 2/1 changer!