The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new Clinesmith!
Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 6:55 am    

A few weeks ago I received my short scale cast aluminum Clinesmith and here's a short evaluation for those of you who are interested. I am very pleased with this guitar and Todd Clinesmith is a true professional to deal with. It sounds incredibly rich and plays wonderfully. Looks great too with the shiny silvery top. The shoe pickup is clear and powerful and the sustain is amazing, but even more importantly it responds really well to dynamic playing. In fact it is so lively that I have been forced to work with my muting technique quite a bit, sloppy playing is not rewarded on this one. I usually go for a jazzy clean tone but I did try out a couple of fuzz and overdrive pedals and was very pleased with the results. Also the concentric knob works a lot better for tone and volume swells than expected but usually I just find a sweet spot and keep it there.

I also got one of his bars, a 3/4” x 3” and really like it as well. Up to now I have been using steel bars ranging between 2 3/4” and 2 7/8” in length. This polymer bar feels very solid and I get a good grip so the added length hasn’t really been a problem. The tone is slightly more mellow than my steel bars but lack of treble has never been a problem for steel guitar IMO. Best of all the bass frequency on the lower strings seems a bit rounder and fuller than before. I like it so much that I ordered a slightly bigger one, 13/16” X 3” weighing 5.6 ounces just for the heck of it.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 7:53 am    

Beautiful steel!!!

That's the first thing I noticed with mine that these guitar are very dynamic! The harmonics jump out but you have play cleaner also!

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 5:31 pm    

Nice one, Einar. I would be interested to hear how the heavier bar goes and whether you prefer it.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 3:55 am    

I also got a 3/4 Clinesmith bar and realy love it!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 2:00 pm    

Very nice indeed....i have a jm model and am considering another one Smile. Love the tone of these instruments...clear with great string separation....i have never been more pleased with any steel purchase...i put this instrument in the category of my benedetto bambino guitar....and thats saying a lot imho !!

Congartulations on your purchase !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 11:54 pm    

Thanks everyone! My old steels have been resting peacefully since the arrival of this one. I considered getting the Joaquin model and if I win in the lottery I won't hesitate to order a D8 from Todd for that classic A6/E13 combo. Guy the bar hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know how it feels after trying it for a while.

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 9:45 am    

I've had the 13/16" bar for a few days now and must say I am surprised at how easy it feels on the hand. It feels as easy to grip and maneuver as my favoured Dunlop 919 even though it's bigger and heavier. Also, when it comes to length/diameter, I feel this 13/16" x 3" is somewhat better balanced than the 3/4" x 3" I got earlier from Todd.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 1:24 am     Me likes it too

Me likes it too...
I really like the look of the polished face.
Mine has the black face and I like that too, but this looks extra nice.
The tone of these lap steels he is building is incredible.
My other steels have also suffered a very lonely time since I got mine in July.
Really looking forward to the T-8 expected in March. Very Happy
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:28 am    

Gorgeous instrument.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 10:22 am    

Nice choice.....I found that they make you play more honestly.....nowhere to hide the mistakes

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 11:08 am    

Mark Roeder wrote:
Nice choice.....I found that they make you play more honestly.....nowhere to hide the mistakes

Play it through a Fender Twin Reverb w/JBLs or a Roland JC, which is what I do, and you become a regular Honest Abe Lincoln.

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 12:00 pm    

Mark Roeder wrote:

Mark, I forgot to mention the fact that it's resting comfortably on one of your stands in the pictures above. A really good combo those two.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 12:53 pm    

Truly a beautiful instrument. And with my favorite type of pickup. Inspiring thoughts dangerous to my bank balance.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 1:10 pm    

Mark Roeder wrote:

Forget the Clinesmith, where can I find one of these guitars that hides my mistakes!!! Razz

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I'd love to have a Clinesmith with a Roeder stand someday.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 2:04 pm    

Welcome to the Aluminum Clinesmith club.

I have the horseshoe pup, long scale with black finish. I just need that Roeder stand.

The notes just ring for days.

Congrats, she's a beaut.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 2:57 pm     Mistake Button?

Mark Roeder wrote:

Maybe Todd will take sympathy on some of us and make an add on "Mistake Button".
I could sure use one.

Really though, Todd's guitar sounds so very good it has improved my playing a lot just because I never go a day without playing it. Still far from where I'd like to be but making some headway now.

Can't go wrong with a Clinesmith instrument! Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.