The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My terrible right hand technique
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 8:39 am    

Be aware of your shoulder and if you sit deep or high enough.
Merry Xmas!

JJ

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 8:51 am    

Yes, and it may help to just relax the left shoulder
to let the elbow come in.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 9:27 am    

Learn pick blocking instead and stay comfy.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2014 11:12 pm     Hand

Johan, I say this in a humorist way, but have you ever looked at the way, the younger generation holds their pencils? They would be lucky to keep the picks on their hands, let alone do clean picking, and blocking. I agree with much of what has been said, but I know that 30 years ago we did not have the lesson material that is now available, to those who are trying to learn the pedal steel. What we learned was from trial and error. I only wish I would have had some one like Jeff Newman, Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day and etc., to show me the proper way to do things. When I was beginning to play the regular guitar, 65 years ago, there was no one to show me, nor could we afford a lesson book, but back then we did not have computers, ipads, tablets with 1,000's of games to play, or the internet. Music was our way of growing up, there was no lack of people to play music with, and that was when we found the right and wrong way of doing something. Enough said, just keep the desire in your heart. I'm now 74 years old, and I still am struggling with the pedal steel.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 11:37 pm     Re: My terrible right hand technique

James Wolf wrote:
I would like to fix it. I think it may have something to do with my arm and wrist but I don't know. I would like to mention that I have fixed far worse long term habits on other instruments. What can I do to fix my right hand?

My answer to this would be to *relax* - I agree with what Mike Wheeler said. Tense muscles are the enemy of good technique. I also join the others who suggested a viewing of Right Hand Alpha. Just practice a bunch of simple phrases, while focusing on letting the muscles in your hand relax. I even practice this while playing "air steel," when driving or whatever. Just relax.

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 2:00 pm    

To the original poster in this thread (Mr. Wolf)--it's been a few years now, did you end up altering your right hand position dramatically? did you watch "Right Hand Alpha" and did it change your life? i'm about a year in myself, and my hand just wants to go into that more "claw" like position--the "curl" position (as in the photo that Johan posted) feels great until I have to actually start plucking strings. nevertheless, I'm always contemplating whether or not to try a total right hand re-think and I love reading what other steelers have to say on the topic.

as the late Chris Ivey pointed out way back when, Jaydee Maness plays with a hand position rather similar to yours, judging by the original photo of yourself that you posted. Looking at a video of Chris's playing, he's pretty flat-handed himself. Those are two pretty great players!

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 5:32 pm    

Just my 2 cents... Be careful to not anchor your palm on the tenth string. Do not put pressure on the string as this interferes with the string while the pedal is pulling it. This will result in the wrapping on tenth string being rubbed and you will break the wrapping on the string. Don't know if you have had that problem or not. I did and finally figured out I was "leaning on the tenth string." Hope this might help someone. Smile

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 6:33 pm    

I had never even considered that! There might be some pressure there, but I wouldn't say I anchor it. interesting input, but I think i'm dodging that problem so far.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 5:44 pm     My Right Hand

My right hand looks like Johan Jansens. My fingers are tucked under like his are. I tried years ago to play with the pinky straight out. Did not work for me. I block with picks and knuckles.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 5:48 pm     Right Hand

It looks to me that you need to arch your hand a little and put it at more of a angle. Straighten out your wrist some also. Your right hand must tire out easy at that angle.

Lenny Wehrle

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 10:50 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Coincidence! I've just been watching Jeff Newman's Right Hand Alpha video which arrived this morning. I'm only part way through but it already looks like just what you need.

Ian, where did you get the video (Right Hand Alpha) from?
Jeffran music's website is not up and running yet.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 10:01 am    

There is a big variation in the finger length of various players. Long fingered players may be better able to use the cupped angled palm, whereas shorter fingered players often have to use more of a flat palm, especially if you need to dig in on a index finger note. Pick blockers usually have a flatter hand than palm blockers.

I've been playing for 40 years and I've seen great players do it many different ways. By the way, look at Elton John. He has really short fingers and made a little money playing piano...Smile