The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Comparing Old to Newer
Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 7:16 pm    

I'm gonna step in it here, Damir, but I'm not sure I agree with you. Those instruments you listed are all acoustic, not electric, and despite the $200,000 price difference, a '59 Les Paul doesn't sound better than modern one. I'm sure that the changes that electric instrument wood goes through over time affects tone to some extent...

But what the hell do I know...
Very Happy Laughing

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:49 pm    

re old instruments vs new: Some believe that the wood from old instruments has dried out and that is why they sound better. Sorta makes sense. The wood would be drier, and more responsive if thwacked. Water would dull it a bit.

So I wonder if putting that 2017 PSG or Les Paul in the oven for a day or 2 might "vintagetonerize" said instrument?

take one instrument, add a sprinkle of hope and bake for 2 days.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 9:08 pm    

Sho Buds are tricky because like Ricky said there are so many variations. I've played a few that where amazing and some that didn't do much for me. There is a Sho Bud sound and it is very particular. Don in Dale Watson's band and Ricky Davis have it.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:20 am    

Lane, I understand what you are saying about the barrels on Pro II Sho-Buds. But the problem is finding a good place to mount the hardware, not the barrels.

For example - I play a D-10 with 8x8. My first "modern" D-10 was a Zumsteel '84. So about 30 years old when I got it. It was built as 8x4. Previous owner added a vertical to bring the levers up to 5. I called Bruce, he sent me the parts and told me where to mount them. There were already spaces for the cross-shafts - I just had to slide them in. I had a little bit of play and decision-making in exactly where front to back to mount the levers, but the location left and right where already determined when the guitar was built. And, being designed as adjustable levers, they had no problem adapting to my unusual setup of 4 pedals on E9 and 4 for C6.

I would love to make my Pro II 8x8, but I don't see any way to do it. Ricky could probably do it, but I can't. There are no pre-arranged locations. You just have to kind of figure it out. That is more what I meant. Modern steels are designed more by components that fit in existing locations and even a novice like me can do it with directions. Setting up a vintage instrument is more of an art form!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 5:58 am    

I'll go with the modern designs. The best sounding guitars, in my opinion, that I have heard played live are John Hughey, playing a Zumsteel, Herby Wallace playing a Mullen, and Buddy Emmons playing an Emmons. I think the players probably had something to do with it. Smile
I have owned four Sho-Buds, and they were some of my least favorite gitars.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:29 am    

Patrick Thornhill wrote:
I'm gonna step in it here, Damir, but I'm not sure I agree with you. Those instruments you listed are all acoustic, not electric, and despite the $200,000 price difference, a '59 Les Paul doesn't sound better than modern one. I'm sure that the changes that electric instrument wood goes through over time affects tone to some extent...

But what the hell do I know...
Very Happy Laughing

Yes, a 59 LP does sound better to most ears...However, its a nuanced, more harmonically complex sound, that conveys better at low volume sitting in front of the amp...
On stage, at performance volume levels, I agree with you..
However at lower volumes by itself or on recordings, a Gibson, Fender, Rick etc, from the 50's or 60's has a sweeter sound to many people.. Old growth, very dry wood, less "standardized" pickup winding techniques, different magnets, metals, etc... I like old stuff better, to me it simply sounds nicer.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:39 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Sho Buds are tricky because like Ricky said there are so many variations. I've played a few that where amazing and some that didn't do much for me. There is a Sho Bud sound and it is very particular. Don in Dale Watson's band and Ricky Davis have it.

Agreed.. Buds go from amazing sounding, to lousy, and everything in between.. In the case of Buds, older is better as far as tone, but the newer designs are more user friendly mechanically.. Over the years I have found a general guideline for Buds is that the round front steels sounded more like a Sho Bud should than the squared fronts do.. Unscientific yes, but thats what I have found after probably a dozen Buds I have owned.. The best sounding Buds I have owned were original 6139 models with the factory coil tap pickups, and tone and volume on the deck.. Later similar models with the ProI designation, square fronts, and similar coil tap pickups without the tone/volume did NOT sound the same.. There is a reason old round fronts in good shape sell fast around here.. Its all about the tone.... All that being said, I had a ProIII that I really liked the sound of, but it was not really a classic Bud sound.. More "modern" whatever that is... Bud sound lost me for good with the pot metal undercarriage and 2/2 changer.. they sounded good, but the character changed to something very different.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 9:59 am    

I think it is kind of like cars - some people are more pragmatic and drive a Toyota or Honda (GFI, Carter), some drive a luxury car like a Cadillac or Rolls (new Sierras, Mullen G2, Show Pro, new MSAs), and some want a funky old muscle car from the 60s or 70s (Sho-Bud, Emmons, ZB).

You'll never get all of those folks to agree on one car!