The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverb Pedal recommendations?
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:58 am    

Hall of Fame by TC Electronics is also a good one.

If you want money is no object pedal.

GFI Specular Reverb $300 +

GFI System is studio quality verbs, circa Eric Johnson Venus Isle tone, in a small pedal.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 1:08 pm    

Steven Meister wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! I like the idea of a good sounding, simple to use, and reasonably priced pedal. The Holy Grail Nano, and the Nuenaber Mono Wet pedals seem to be good options.

Has anyone tried the Omni Reverb by Keeley? It also looks like it may be a good option.

Steve

I haven't tried the Keeley Omni, but I recently picked up a used Keeley Aurora Reverb and I really like it on steel.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 1:16 pm    

When I'm not using the Lexicon unit in my Telonics combo, I use the Zoom MS50G. A lot of nice effects and lots of room to store your own presets. Cost effective at $100.00.

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:04 pm    

David Gertschen wrote:
Steven Meister wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! I like the idea of a good sounding, simple to use, and reasonably priced pedal. The Holy Grail Nano, and the Nuenaber Mono Wet pedals seem to be good options.

Has anyone tried the Omni Reverb by Keeley? It also looks like it may be a good option.

Steve

I haven't tried the Keeley Omni, but I recently picked up a used Keeley Aurora Reverb and I really like it on steel.

Thanks David, I'm leaning toward the Keeley Omni Reverb, so I'm glad to hear you like the Aurora, which looks pretty similar to the Omni.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 12:49 am    

Maybe a better option, or at least one worth thinking about, is replacing the speaker. That way you get better tone in addition to getting an excellent real spring reverb sound.

The stock reverb in the NV 400, at least the one in mine, is really a good sounding unit. The only thing limiting how great it sounds is the "special" tonality and dynamic response of the speaker. But I also have the Le May mod which may greatly improve the voicing of the reverb. I have at least 15 different reverbs of all sorts at my disposal so I know whereof I speak Smile

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2017 6:49 am    

VanAmp Solemate arrived this morning and gave it a very quick one minute try out. So far I'm thoroughly impressed. Definitely like it better than the Holy Grail. Pretty much sounds like a classic reverb from a Fender Amp.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2017 7:22 pm     reverb

I use the M300-Reverb by MXR. Come out of Hilton VP to M300 to DD3 delay to GK MB200 power amp in a Tommy Huff cabinet. Effects are mounted on right side of steel seat for easy access and quick hook up and tear down by removing two cords. Power amp is mounted inside speaker cabinet. Thanks.

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 2:19 pm    

The Holey Grail works great with the DrZ head and very easy to use.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 3:02 pm    

My perceptions are colored by the fact that I generally prefer old-school Fender drippy spring reverb. Especially for guitar (I play a lot of surf), but also for steel. So the gold standard to me is on-board reverb in an old Fender amp or even better yet, a standalone 6G15. Mine is about 1965 black panel, white-knob. I've had 4-5 over the years of various vintages, all good but slightly different.

But of course, there are very different types of reverb - spring, hall, plate, etc. Hall-Of-Fame is very versatile, gives a pretty decent reverb of whatever type, plus the toneprint is useful, has regular 9VDC negative tip power supply, and is small and fits on any standard pedal board. I had one, it's OK, but I'm mostly into spring reverb, which is OK but not great. Gone.

Had an old Holy Grail, excellent spring reverb sound, but was large and got weird after a couple of years. Gone.

Have a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb - standard Belton Brick sound, it's OK but not drippy the way I like it. Most of the Belton-based pedals have a grainy kind of texture, to my ears. But it's good enough to hang onto.

Also have a Digitech Hardwire RV-7. Very versatile, spring is OK, but others are better to my ears. Again, worth hanging onto, they can be found pretty reasonable. A little large on a pedal board.

For something completely different, I have this old Ampeg-made reverb (labelled Gracin's, the Long Island based chain that is no longer around) I got from Noah Miller a few years ago. Manny's had 'em also. It's fabulous, but not your regular Fender drippy surf reverb.

I've tried a bunch of others - the Strymon Flint is a good but pricey reverb/tremelo pedal. And a few others.

But as a spring reverb guy, the best pedal reverb I've heard is the Catalinbread Topanga. Just spring reverb, but I no longer even really need to bring my old Fender tank to a surf gig.

There are a bunch of them out there that I'll eventually try. There's the Swedish company Surfy Industries that produces an FET-based spring reverb, you can even build a kit very reasonably. Hooks up to a standard Accutronics-style pan. http://www.surfyindustries.com/

If you want the skinny from people who live and die by reverb, check out the SurfGuitar101 forum - they have a long-running thread on reverb units https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/25376/

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 2:56 pm    

Thanks again everyone, for all the responses! After researching many different reverb options, I decided not to buy a reverb pedal. I bought a Fender Custom Vibrasonic amp instead! I just got it today, and I'm very happy with it so far!!!

Steve

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2017 3:27 pm    

Well, that should certainly get you a nice reverb sound!