Author Topic:  The Paul Franklin Method
Billy J Bonner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 4:52 am    

I'm in less get going!

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 3:08 pm     Lessons

Got a price on a email update on the lessons. A little on the pricey side for only one year access to the website.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 3:58 pm     Price

Yes, price is steep to watch videos and they can not be downloaded. Not sure about whether the tabs can be printed.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 5:34 pm    

While you can't pay for it on a monthly basis, it works out to be about $40 bucks a month at the introductory price. One lesson a month with a decent teacher will cost you $50 - $75. This is access to PAUL FRANKLIN! Maybe not in person or even on Skype but him teaching about playing steel.
Me and Santa gonna make it happen!

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 5:43 pm    

Paul - Since Buddy isn't making videos, I thought I would pass this along, if it plays into your production thinking.
One time I made a half a dozen practice boards to sell at the convention. They didn't all sell, so I gave one to Buddy.
The next time I was at his house, I saw that he had cut about a 4" x 4" hole in the board where a pickup would go, and it was painted black around the hole, underneath. He wouldn't tell me what it was for.
After some pestering, he finally told me.
It was for shooting video of the right hand from underneath.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:13 am    

Chris that’s cool who would have thought too do that. I would like to see that video

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 9:17 am    

$40/month? I think it's a bargain at that price. It'll be totally up to me to make it work, and that's where some of the hesitation comes from because I know my shoddy practice habits, but I'm going to try.... I NEED to try!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 11:43 am    

Hey David,,yes, I can identify with "bad practice habits",,,,and "need"!!!! Not sure I would agree as to the success of the program being entirely "up to me"
My main concern is that it could be a whole life time of cool licks and great fun stuff,,,,but APPLICATION,,,,,will it be assumed that we know how to apply the cool fun stuff,,,,or will there be some sort of guidance as to how to apply. Guess we'll find out during the "trial period". Looking forward to it. And hey,,,maybe it will encourage us to want to practice!!!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 12:36 pm    

Chris Templeton wrote:
It was for shooting video of the right hand from underneath.

I'd sure like to see some of those videos of his hand, if you have any.

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 8:39 am    

Tried to get on Paul's site and all that happens is my IP Address comes up. Is anybody else having this problem? Would like to know if the course is available and how much it is? Christmas is coming.

Franklin

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 9:56 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
will it be assumed that we know how to apply the cool fun stuff,,,,or will there be some sort of guidance as to how to apply. Guess we'll find out during the "trial period". Looking forward to it. And hey,,,maybe it will encourage us to want to practice!!!!

Sonny,

The test drive preview is not the actual site...Its a copy of the site so students can experience the feel of learning at the PFM.... The test drive is given to all who inquire about the PFM. With this test drive we can show how the site operates, slowing down videos, downloading tab, rhythm tracks, theory pdfs, etc with an overview of a few topics covered on the actual site.

.......One of the videos I chose for the test drive is an intro I played for AJ. With that video students can see the quality look of the downloadable tab and to hear the rhythm tracks.....Sonny, this is what you can't see until enrolled....For that same intro I also teach alternate replacements for the same intro at multi levels of proficiency and all are usable on the bandstand. I would be very proud to play all of those replacements on a session.

Out of the 107 videos on launch day there is a video on creating personal licks. I teach players how to increase their vocabulary. I explain in detail the elements of one of my methods for increasing my vocabulary ....I use this particular creative technique when producers ask me to play an original lick...I will continue to share this type of knowledge on the PFM. I have a 5 decade career to cover, so with the first 107 videos on Jan 1st.... I present the orange...I promise my intent is to continue pealing back the layers on each topic until there is nothing left to teach. And yes I will be adding many more topics throughout the year and I am alway open to any students idea for a specific musical area.

Dennis,

On Jan 1, 2018 the site will be open for enrollment.....

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 11:39 am    

Thanks for the response and additional info.
As for welcoming "students ideas",,,I stated several times in several places that I think the number one, primary thing a teacher to teach is,,,to get a steel guitar "owner" to a point as quickly as possible to "participating",,,with other musicians,,,either in each others homes, in an open mic jam, bandstand, whatever. I think intros, licks, endings etc are very limited in accomplishing that . I think that the teacher (regardless of how good of player he/she is themselves) that comes up with something that will accomplish that, will leave his/her mark on the instrument forever. I think Jeff and Winnie came as close as has been so far,,,,but still something lacking. What does it actually take to give a guy with a brand new guitar ($2000 worth of equipment) and a million $$ worth of enthusiasm to have the guts to sit with other musicians, and not get so embarrassed or knocked down so bad that he goes home and puts the equipment for sale,,,and never ,,,well, you know!! I think that should be the primary goal of a teacher.

I'm sure this program will be great for those of us who have been playing for awhile,,,to expand on our journey,,,and for sure I am looking forward to it. But as for stimulating the global interest and involvement in steel guitar as an instrument expanded,,,,I feel that there has to be a way to get a newbie to "participating",,,and of course I'm hoping the program will "have a beginning",,,to address that primary issue. Just my opinion,,,but I think historical evidence supports that opinion.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 3:51 pm    

Guess what I am buying myself for Christmas! Laughing

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:08 am    

Jim - Sorry, no videos. What a great idea though.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 7:40 pm    

I did Pauls seminar at the Dallas Convention a while back and it was worth every cent of the cost. One particular idea has stuck with me...There are no wrong notes a as long as you don't stop and as long as you end up in the right place. This idea really takes the pressure off solos. I will be availing myself of Pauls course and look forward to an insight into his musical ideas and his 50 years of experience. Whatever the cost it will be money well spent.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 2:30 pm    

Ivan: Paul's idea that there are no wrong notes is great insight!
Back in the 1970's, I met and spoke with jazz guitarist George Benson, who said basically the same thing ... that there are no bad notes, as long as you put them 'in context', musically.
In spite of the wisdom, I still manage to find clunkers all over the neck! 😄

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 3:02 pm    

Me too Lee, clunkers are my speciality. The secret is to try and hide them in plain sight.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 5:06 pm    

Lee Warren wrote:
I met and spoke with jazz guitarist George Benson, who said basically the same thing ... that there are no bad notes, as long as you put them 'in context', musically.
And, of course, "in context, musically" obviates notes that don't fit the context. So, bottom line, the notes in question aren't "bad notes".

Conversely, there ARE notes that "don't fit the context, musically", and those are "bad notes". So, the final analysis has to be that notes that "don't fit the context" have to be "bad notes".

Billy J Bonner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:48 am     Paul Lessons

Wow how long are we going to have to wait for this can't stand the wait! LOL

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 8:50 am     Franklin

I imagine there will be numerous tweaks after it hits the market.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 11:07 am    

Christmas will be arriving a week late for me!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 2:13 pm    

I got a email today that said "Let's get started Robert Lawrence" . I just signed in for a Test Drive today. Cool If you have already signed up check you email for your invitation. If not sign up to get access:)
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 4:46 pm     Re: Price

Gary Cooper wrote:
Yes, price is steep to watch videos and they can not be downloaded.
I must've missed something. Why can't they be downloaded?

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 4:49 pm    

They do not allow you to download them. This is a subscription method. You are only allowed access as long as your subscription is active.

Much like Adobe, Microsoft, and others, when your subscription goes dead, so does your access. Nothing new about that.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 5:47 pm    

If we were able to download them, the videos would be too easy to share. All you would need are friends with a flash drive.