The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two-hole puller Sho-Bud question
Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 1:48 pm    

Aloha, forum. I have a question for you Sho-Bud experts out there...

I recently acquired an early '74 (I think - s/n 4902) round-front Pro 1 with a single raise / single lower changer. Now, the strings with multiple raises (presently 4 & 5) have the brass barrels and an allen-key tuning at the end plate, while the rest of the single change strings have a more traditional pull rod with threads and nuts at the end plate (granted the nuts are metal, not nylon).

My question is this: would these have typically had the allen key / brass barrels on ALL changes? Or is this hybrid setup what they came with?

I ask because I've found the barrel-tuned changes to be a lot more stable, and if that's what the guitar was originally equipped with across the board, I'm going to look into restoring to that state.

I suppose it might also make sense to replace the metal tuning nuts with nylon ones, which I assume would be a little more stable. Any thoughts on that would also be appreciated. The metal nuts are quite easy to turn by hand when the pedal is not engaged.

Thanks in advance for your input. I'm absolutely in love with this guitar but I can't help but wonder if it can be helped just a little.

Barry

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:25 pm    

It's a long drive from Nevada City to Jim Palenscar's shop Oceanside in San Diego county, but it will be worth it. Jim is a wizard. He will make the guitar play perfectly.

It may require 2 trips, or you might want to take 3 days, drive down one day, hand out in Oceanside, or perhaps visit San Diego the next while he sets up the guitar, and drive home the 3rd.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 3:10 pm    

Hey Barry!
Glad to hear you scored a Sho-Bud. I have a Pro II Custom from around the same time, maybe a little later.
It would be helpful if you could post some pics. You could also hit up Ian Woorley down in Sac. He's the only guy in the area that I'm aware of that works on steels.
I plan to have him add a vertical knee lever to my steel at some point.
Hit me up if you want to do some picking some time.
Regards,
Joe

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 3:38 pm    

If its a one up/ one down changer, it did not come with nylons originally.. take a very close look at the changer on strings 4 and 5.. Many Buds have been modified on those 2 strings with a two up one down changer finger, which came later on some Buds... If not, there is no reason to have nylons on there, and I would put the allen head rods on there... Lots of guys know those guitars well, but a few pics would be needed to see exactly what going on there... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 4:42 pm    

Unless the scissors have two raise holes, it originally had barrels and spinning rods.
I cannot fathom the mind that would convert some, necessitating two different tuning tools.

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 5:03 pm    

I almost forgot about that little number, Lane. I am currently tuning it with two wrenches. And yes indeed, it is indeed a one up/one down on all strings. I'll try to get some pictures up later tonight, but I think you guys are on the right track.

Thank you all for the input. I may end up taking it to Jim sometime, as his reputation is strong and I have family in San Diego that I need to visit anyways. But I also enjoy working on my own stuff. Does anybody know where you can get allen-head rods and brass barrels? PSG parts says they're not available.

And yes, Joseph - let's get together one of these days. I'm playing some bass at Cooper's on 1/5 if you're around. Otherwise let me know when works for you.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 5:21 pm    

Jim might have some. Depending on how many you need, I have a stock that I can sell at the same price as Michael's (I don't remember if I got them from Michael or James): I have a project guitar that will be using them (a fully loaded universal almost HAS to be done with barrels and spinning rods; I think one string has 5 raise pulls: 4 pitch raises and a split), but I am not to the point of even beginning to rod it up, so I think I can sell a few and be in the position to wait for more. But I don't want to lose money on the deal.

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 7:20 am    

Thanks for the offer, Lane. I actually reached out to psg parts via their contact form. Michael wrote me back and said he thinks he’ll have more in a couple of weeks. I’ll probably go that route but again I appreciate your offer

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 12:38 pm    

Also, as requested, here’s a picture of the changer.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 6:52 pm    

I made a few replacement socket head ends for some of those pull rods once, they're made with little binding posts but they are basically just a #10 socket head machine screw cut off to ~3/8". I just center drilled and epoxied them onto the rods. If you come up short elsewhere let me know, it would be a simple 20 min. job to make 9 or 10, $1 worth of screws from the hardware store.

Are those metal nuts fixed on the ends of the rods so they actuate the barrels, or are the rods threaded on the ends? From your description it sounds like the latter. If so you'll definitely want to replace those as soon as possible for tuning stability, at least in the interim. The nylon nuts are meant to fit tight and stay put, I suspect those metal ones rotate at will.

Give me a holler the next time you're heading down to Sac, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my $0.02.

And tell that Carlson guy to give me a call sometime too.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 8:03 am    

I would imagine the 2 hex cap screw rods are the original rack/2 hole puller rod. Both of those strings have 2 raise pulls on them. The others only have one. The 2 barrels on those rods would allow 2 different tunable notes.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 3:20 pm    

From what I have seen, you need to check the 2 hole pullers on all the rods EXCEPT the one on the 4 and 5 strings/ B and E...
Are those pullers equipped with locking allen screws to hold the rod from turning??... If so thats a viable option, as some Sho buds DID use that system and it works very well. I had a PROIII with a modern 2 up 2 down changer, but with 2 hole pullers with locking allen screws on all pulls. the pull rods are locked into the brass puller, and then tuned at the endplate.. I WOULD ditch those metal nuts and get nylons on there however...
Personally, I would leave the threaded endplate tuners on the stings they are on except get nylons on there, and for the 4 and 5 strings, I would epoxy the tuning nut onto the rod, and tune the pulls using barrels because thats really the only way to tune 2 raises on 1 string....

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......