The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Amp head for pedal steel
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 7:58 pm    

Which Quilter mini amp head works well for pedal steel? Can you share with us how well it works?

Thanks in advance!

Craig

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 8:39 pm     ProBlock

I’ve got this one and really like it. Decent reverb and plenty of headroom for pedal steel.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 8:41 pm    

Do you just plug a speaker directly into the input?

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 4:49 am    

Recently purchased the 50 watt 'Mini', chose that particular model because it features an actual three band EQ and on board reverb. Sounded to my ears very similar to my 'Steelaire', only a smaller, much lighter (around 2#) version. Played a small club with it last Friday night run through a single cab featuring an Eminence 'EPS-12C' speaker, well pleased with the tone.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 6:52 am    

https://youtu.be/P81AOm1-pLY

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 8:28 am    

Craig Bailey wrote:
Do you just plug a speaker directly into the input?

The input is where you plug your guitar into. The speaker output would be on the back of the amp.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 9:34 am     Backside

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 4:49 pm    

Which one of the quilter amp heads works best for pedal steel and guitar?

Thanks

Craig

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 4:13 am    

Since the 'Mini' heads only feature one input, you would need to use an A/B box to run both guitar and steel.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 4:53 am    

I am just wondering if the Pro Block 200 or the one with overdrive would be the better choice. Any thoughts?

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 5:03 am    

Last spring I purchased the Toneblock 201. I read tons of reviews and I was torn over which one to get, either the Problock or the Toneblock 201. It works well and I already own a wet reverb and a Boss RV3. It's a nice grab and go head. I don't think you can go wrong with either

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 9:48 am    

I had a similar dilemma. Did I want on-board overdrive or on-board reverb? I chose the reverb. This is because during a gig, I like to make adjustments to the overdrive. I much prefer it in a pedal clamped to my steel leg. I have to turn if off & on all night long. The reverb I can set & leave alone. So I chose the ProBlock 200. Of course, your needs may be different.

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 10:39 am    

Just piling on: I've been using the Pro Block 200 as my "light rig" for about 6 months now. It can really sound great. I find that speaker choice is very important - more so than with other amps I've used.

I used to run a Steelaire combo, which was great too, but the Pro Block kinda replaced that for me.

That video is interesting to me - I can't imagine not having the limiter from the pro block (but he sounds great in the vid).

Just full disclosure: I've come to prefer my Fender Twin with a TT most of the time. That's not a knock on the Pro Block - they're both great.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 9:34 pm     My settings for PSG

Steven Meyrich

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 8:43 am    

Which speaker cabinets are folks using with the Quilter Heads? I see a mention of an Eminence 12 just wondering what others might be using - I see Quilter makes cabinets too?

Thanks,

Steve

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 10:18 am    

I have a Sarno Black Box >Nuenabar Wet Reverb pedal> Quilter Toneblock 201>Eminence Eps 15c speaker (that is in a really light cab that I bought from a nice gentleman here on the forum) . Really REALLY light rig, and I use the parts with other set-ups such as guitar , dobro, and even blues harp. Works great for my (amateur) bar gigs --really happy with the set-up.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 11:26 am    

I've had great luck with the Aviator 8,Toneblock
(both have great XLR Line out),and the Mini 101 on 100watt Surf setting. I use 12" or 15" cabinets. The Steelaire is a good amp I hear,but I never saw a need for it.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 11:53 am     Small amps

I like the idea of small amps. In fact I often use an MB 200 into a cab with an EPS 15-C or Telonics speaker. However, the amp head must have an aux. input or it is a deal breaker for me, as I use tracks much of the time. I know, [and have,] a small mixer that would work, but it is much more convenient if the amp has the aux. input feature. Unless I missed it, I don't think the Tone Block or Pro Block has one.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 4:31 pm    

Just noticed those little Quilter heads are made in the USA! Thats a huge selling point for me. May have to add another amp to the stable..Do they notch out the evil 1khz( or there about) as well as the peavey session 400s? Thanks for any info.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 3:46 pm    

Just to update: I got the Quilter Pro Block 200 and wow this thing is amazing. I love it. It sounds very good through my JBL and Telonics speaker. I highly recommend it. It sounds great with my steel and my telecaster. Its a keeper!!!

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 7:17 pm    

I'm absolutely loving a Quilter Steelaire Rackmount through dual Eminence TT-12s. It's a much bigger and more up-front sound than with a single BW 15 .

The head in a soft case, weighs about 10 lbs, while the loaded cab is about 30 lbs.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2017 4:45 pm    

I love the pro block too. I the tone is really unique I think. Reverb is awesome. I think this is the only pedalboard amp head that has on board reverb.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 4:39 pm     Quilter Microblock 45

Just got the Quilter Microblock 45 to use for lap steel here at home. More than enough power, even using the aux. input for tracks. Great tone. I think my next project will be the Toneblock 201 for my pedal steel. I have reverb pedals that I really like, so I don't need the Pro block with built in reverb. I'm using cabs with either a Telonics or Eminence EPS 15C

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 11:40 am     Quilter Microblock 45

I just love the little Micro Block 45 with my lap steels here at home. In fact I liked it so much, I ordered a Quilter Pro Block 200 to use with my pedal steel. The Block 45 has enough horsepower to use at Church with or without tracks for the lap steel, [it has an aux. input], but I would need more power for pedal steel. I have a small mixer to use with the Pro Block if I'm using tracks.

Both amps will be played through Tommy Huff cabs with a 15" Telonics or an EPS 15C.

Well, I returned the Pro Block 200 after a week. Too bright, and not enough eq. for me. Back to my MB200 for pedal steel. I still like the block 45 for lap steel though. [My lap steels have a tone knob, ha.]

Last edited by George Macdonald on 17 Feb 2018 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 11:06 am    

Anyone using a Quilter head that has the 3 knob EQ,,,i.e. bass, mid, treble? I have the 101 reverb going through a TT-12 speaker. Would be very interested in your settings.