The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My 1985 Evans FET-500LV
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 7:36 am    

My old Evans amp has been in the closet for quite some time now. I've been using other amps at home and on the bandstand.

Yesterday I rolled it out and played my BMI through it for about a half-hour.

Sheesh! I had forgotten how wonderful it sounds!

My great-sounding Fender Steel King went into the closet for a while.

Lee, from South Texas

Graham Bland

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:23 am     Evans FET-500LV

Lee,

I know exactly what you mean!...I used mine last weekend and was thinking Derrell Stephens and Jim Evans hit it on the head with the creation of this amp!!!! and it didn't cost $2,500.00 either!!!

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 8:59 am    

Hey Lee. Did I sell that to you?

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 6:09 pm    

Danny - Derrel built the amp for me back in 1985.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 7:19 am    

OK. I know I had sold mine to someone from South Texas about 15 years ago. I bought it from Bud Carter in '84. Derrell had built it for him just a couple of months before he sold it to me. He had put an effects loop on the back along with an attenuator. Wish I had never sold it.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 6:32 pm    

I used the old Evans amp on the bandstand Friday and Saturday night. What a great sounding amp.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 9:35 pm    

They are great sounding amps! The unique control options let you dial in classic pedal steel sounds from thin and twangy to fat and juicy. The big JBL E130 pumps out pure tone. Alas - I can no longer bear the weight of my FET 500 or my Twin Reverb. I schlepped them around for 20 years without a care but time has caught up with me. Gonna have to let them go.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2020 5:06 am    

I really liked my HV FET500. Took it to a generator powered outdoor gig and fried it, years ago. Getting it fixed had been on my to do list forever. Then 3 years ago in the process of lightening up for my move, I gave it away to someone willing to come & get it. (Lloyd Schwartz of Tech 21 who just passed away at NAMM a couple of weeks ago.)

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2020 8:27 am     My Evans FET 500

Lee, you sound like me. I bought a new Derrell Stephens built FET 500 LV in 1985. It was my only amp for 20 years. I sold it and have went through every steel guitar amp built except the high end boutique amps I can't afford. I have been guilty of trying all the latest amps that people rave about on the forum.I am now back to Evans. I have a stereo rack mount and an SE 200 combo. I also have a Stereo Steel in my rack. To my ears, Evans is hard to beat.

I have a friend that I'm going to be getting with soon to try out his new Twin Tone Master. It's possible I may love it, especially if I listen to all the rave reviews, but this has led me astray almost every time in the past. After 50 years of experimenting, I will probably stick with my Evans and JBL's the rest of my life. And I have tried a lot of different speakers too.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 3:30 pm     Evans Amp

I had an Evans FET500LV amp. It was the best sounding amp I ever had. I wish I hadn't sold it. I tried a Fender that sounded good, but came back to an Evans. I tried a Roland that sounded great, but came back to Evans. I tried several Peaveys and two Quilters and came back to Evans. Now I'm trying a Telonics. It's the closest thing I've had to the FET500.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 3:40 am    

Tony, it will be interesting to see if you end up staying with Telonics over the Evans. I have been down the latest amp path too. Now I'm cooling my heels and trying to stay with my Sarno Revelation, Lexicon mpx1, and a power amp. For lightweight amps the Quilter micropro mach2 12 inch combo or the Fender Mustang 111 v2. Like George I have speaker cabs out the wazoo.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 8:00 am     Evans Amps

Larry, I am keeping the Telonics, but I am also keeping my Evans SE-200 which has the new Peavey neo 1501-4 speaker from out of the new session 115 in it. sounds great!
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 10:46 am    

Good to hear Tony.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2020 1:25 pm    

I have a Evans amp that Derrell Stephens built for me in 1990. I love that amp but I want to shed some weight off of it. What brand of Neo speaker do you all think would sound the best in that. I love the sound of the Eclipse that is in there, so even a Neo that’s sounds pretty close to the Eclipse, would suit me fine. For a solid state amp, I just really like the sound of that old Evans.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2020 2:06 pm    

Dean Holman wrote:
I have a Evans amp that Derrell Stephens built for me in 1990. I love that amp but I want to shed some weight off of it. What brand of Neo speaker do you all think would sound the best in that. I love the sound of the Eclipse that is in there, so even a Neo that’s sounds pretty close to the Eclipse, would suit me fine. For a solid state amp, I just really like the sound of that old Evans.

Click Here

Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2020 5:34 pm    

Lee, how much would you say the Eclipse speaker weighs?

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2020 7:33 pm    

Are those Evans amps using discrete components or ICs?

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 6:57 pm    

It has been right at 3 years since I last used my Evans on the bandstand.

We played at a big fundraiser for a local Boys and Girls Club this past Saturday night.

My BMI sounded so good. I always forget what a great amp it is.

Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 11:43 am    

STEVEN MY EVANS 500 HAS THREE MODUALS ,POWER IN ,POWER AMP OUT AND PREAMP IN.REAL EASEY TO WORK ON.THE MODUALS JUST PLUG IN.REMOVE ONE SCREW AND PULL THEM OUT,IF YOU NEED ONE REPAIRED JUST MAIL IT TO DERRELL STEPHENS.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2023 10:45 am     Large cab fet 500

I bought a 82' large cab Evans Fet 500 back in July sent it to my technician he went through it and put brand new caps in it that is the most amazing sounding solid state amplifier I've ever heard in my life playing a Sierra and a lashley LaGrande through it has a Travis toy speaker just phenomenal amazing tone.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2023 1:49 pm    

I remember when my NV 400 was in for repair. And I borrowed Billy Tam's FET 500. The reverb was broke so I had to hook up my Pro Fex to it. And I was blown away by how warm it sounded.