The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want to experiment w/Leon's E13th-suggestions ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 3:00 pm    

I have read some things about this tuning and would like to mess around with it, but I am not sure where to start. Bo Parker in an earlier thread suggested some tunes he plays on the tuning, and I am wondering if others suggest where to start as well. Thanks in advance.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 7:37 pm    

I've been working with the Lee Jeffriess version hi->lo EC#BG#F#DBG# ( I'm actually tuned down to D13.) for about 6 months. I used John Ely's chord and scale locators to help see where things were. Then I took country and western swing tunes I play in G13 (DBGEDBGF) and moved them over. It's taking time on the guitar and patience, but you will find new licks, grips, slants, voicings and phrasings buried in the tuning. So I guess I'm using the by ear, brute force method. I do wish one of the E13 masters out there would do some instructional stuff to ease the process.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 9:50 pm    

PM Me as I live eat and breathe E13 and have a few people I do Skype study using chord theory approach.

FREE. as I believe the masters used to share ideas without cost initially.

That benefits ALL involved.

Plus makes us both more knowledgeable.

Good song to start with for chords is "Take Me Out To the Ball Game".

It teaches you, M, M6, M6/9, 13, M7, 7, 9, add9, and sus4 chords all in one song. plus a dim7 here or there.

Key of C - 8th fret start. CM triad. or you can use a C6 instead. with C as the melody note.

This tuning is embedded in mine so I'm more than happy to share ideas.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 9:57 pm    

I have created my own book with Chords and scales covering every inversion but recommend you create your own as it teaches a lot more.

But we will cover the theory of the tuning.

EVERY chord in existence can be made into a triad to suggest that colour and unique sound.

E13 has many occasions 4 note chords and then some, very close voicings and pedal points that offer connected lines.

You can move from a 1-4 chord easily like a pedal steel ...just a taster. I have calculated all the E9 pedal changes on it. Will work my way through C6 pedal steel changes over time. Lots of options.

I will mention again though this tuning does shine with 12 strings. 10 means a few compromises or longer moves out of position but less than that can be a little challenging but enjoy the unknown .
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"