The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Nashville 400 or Gretsch Nashville Pro Lead
Ben Audette

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 7:21 pm    

Looking to buy a new amp. There is a Gretsch Nashville Pro Lead with a 15” Altec Lansing speaker and a Peavey Nashville 400. Both are around $350. Any advice on which way to go?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 1:49 pm    

Well the Nashville 400 is pretty much the go to amp for many if not all Steel players . It has held it's own for decades and still does. It weighs a tone but also performs as good as it's weight !

My take, for Steel grab the N400 , you can never go wrong with it, other than the 60 or 70 pounds that it weighs !

I can't find any definitive technical information with regard to the Gretsch Nashville PRO amp mentioned ABOVE, it is mentioned by name in the BLUE BOOK, but there are no details .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 6 Dec 2017 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 9:15 am    

If it's for steel, the Nashville 400.
Erv

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 11:04 am    

Here's a previous thread with other links concerning the Gretsch Nashville amp.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=145873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

A member of the local steel club had one of these. I think it was around 60W, but it sounded great and seemed not to lack for volume in that club room.

Some dialogue points to Kenneth Cain as the designer of this amp, who also was the brain of the Sho-Bud amps.

I don't know if there's support anywhere for these or schematics etc., but I wouldn't shy away from one in good repair.

Ben Audette

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:40 am     Thanks!

Thanks guys! The same pawn shop that had the Nashville 400 for $350 also had a Session 500 for $200 and a Session 400 Limited for $150 so I'm still debating quality vs value a bit, but reading what I have found on the forum it seems like the Nashville 400 is the best bet.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 2:41 am    

Ben, my opinion is the best value ( given they all function ) would be the Session 500 but with that comes the best weight ! Given the choice, I would grab the N400. The $350 price is right there. I have owned a few, sold them and then always wanted another. I did find one last year and paid $325 in a Pawn Shop. Maybe you can grab it for $300 or $325. Steel players can never go wrong with a N400 , even the later years with the black corners. Great amps. They are indeed a tad heavy but they also deliver. The Session 500 is a very heavy amp , as much as I would personally like to grab one, they just weigh to dang much for me.

regarding that Gretsch, I would also try to acquire it as long your disposable funds allow you to make the purchase. 3 to $350 for that amp is probably not out of line.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 8:13 pm    

I have a Gretsch Nashville Pro Steel amp with an Altec 15" speaker and it sounds great. This one belonged to Bud Carter for several years.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2017 8:28 pm    

oops! My bad Ben...I missed that the Gretsch is a Pro Lead v. the Pro Steel I referenced and the model in Darvin's post. I'm guessing that one is probably a guitar amp.

I don't now how much different those 2 models are.