The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New pedal steel purchase
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 8:37 am    

If all new pedal manufactures had stock an no wait time what manufacturer would You choose? Maybe one from each

Last edited by Johnie King on 6 Dec 2017 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 8:42 am    

Um...Would you care to rephrase the question (or the answer set)?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 9:11 am    

Jim I was pondering this morning if pedal steels were a stock item from the builders if they would be more likely too sell more product. I for one can think of one manufacturer that I believe would sell more at this time.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:33 am    

Ah, now that you've removed the poll at the top, the question makes perfect sense... Smile

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 10:45 am    

Ready to go, in stock psg's sounds like John Fabian's (Carter World class steel guitars) business model. It was the very reason my first guitar was a Carter. I would've likely chosen a different brand, if in stock.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 11:07 am    

To cover all the different setups people like you would have to carry a large stock. Can the average (small) builder afford this? Are there any truly large buiders and could they afford it either? A good compromise might be almost-completed instruments that just require rodding.

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 8:30 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
To cover all the different setups people like you would have to carry a large stock. Can the average (small) builder afford this? Are there any truly large buiders and could they afford it either? A good compromise might be almost-completed instruments that just require rodding.

Most builders I dare say can rod a guitar pretty quickly if the guitar is otherwise assembled. If someone ordered a new guitar and there were several guitars on deck ready to go it would be a relatively simple task to set them up to the buyers specs.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:38 am     Psg

If I really want a certain guitar brand, I don't mind paying extra and waiting for it. I prefer parts to be made by a builder instead of an assembly line with thousands of the same thing. Already traveled the assembly parts line in the past. No problem with anyone or builder but I want my guitars made here in the USA. Currently, I'm playing a Texas made guitar which is a Rains. If I were to order a new one now it would be a Mullen. Thanks.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 9:19 am    

On Williams website you can sometimes buy from factory stock but they seem too sell very quickly.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:15 am    

It seems like we have become an impatient people.
I want it and I want it NOW!!!
I remember back in my youth when the new car models would come out. You'd go to the dealership and they would have a model for you to look at. If you decided to buy, you would pick out the various options, place your order and then wait for it.
And, thank heavens, that is the same way it is with pedal steels. Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 10:32 am    

Other than my Williams steel guitars, I have never had a guitar that I ordered from the factory arrive less than 4 months late. A few I actually had to cancel the order because the manufacturer kept pushing the date out. The new MSA with LFrets would be my hands down choice of a new guitar if finances permitted. In fact they can take as long as they want to make it and I'll still love it when it arrives!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 12:00 pm    

Maybe b0b can tell us how long it took him to get his new Sierra. Very Happy
Erv

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:20 pm    

IMO it's really a non-question.

Each builder offers so many unique options that it's almost impossible to compare apples-to-apples. Unless a player is fairly inexperienced "in stock" is seemingly meaningless. Experienced players, for the most part, want specific sounds, looks, feature sets, customization etc etc. - not a "cookie cutter" guitar.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:29 pm    

Different guitars carry different price tags. If money was no object, I'd get another MSA.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 2:45 pm    

I have three perfectly good working steels. If I decide on another it will be build-quality and playability that will govern my choice. To some extent price is a factor but having to wait? Not at all.

As long as the builder is actually scheduling the build for my guitar, of course. We can all recall the problems with a certain high-profile manufacturer and their 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' ethic. I'd think twice about getting one of those even if they were still being made.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 5:15 pm    

The question is entirely unanswerable.
Depending on what criteria is important to you, almost EVERY make of guitar can truthfully said to be the best.
Want eye-poppingly pretty guitars? Williams, Show Pro, Ben-Rom, Sheffield, and an MSA with the optional Mark Giles cabinet lead the pack.
Want standard Emmons-style aesthetics (mica bodies, clean lines) with meticulous engineering? I'd say that Fessy, Mullen, WBS and Schild are ahead. If you want all that and slightly more compact? Excel is stunning.
I'm not in the mood to break down all the criteria, but there are no pro guitars I'd avoid.
If you're old-school, Mike Cass is making push-pull Emmonses. And Kevin Hatton is making a ZB replica, but with better machining (seriously. ZB had a killer tone, but the parts looked like they'd been manufactured by the gnawing of beavers).
If you're REALLY old-school, Todd Clinesmith is making them in the style of old Bigsbys. If you want that styling, he's the only game in town.

I've not actually seen his guitars, but Voldemort¹'s guitars look promising, and with a nice price point. I'm not sure I dig the aesthetics of drum wrap, but they are snazzy. Until he gets several more guitars out there in the hands of satisfied customers, I'd still call him iffy: his name lives under a cloud largely of his own making.

¹The transplanted Dutchman who has a spotty reputation, and the use of his name is barred on the forum. Hence calling him by the name of another He Who Shall Not Be Named.