The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Baib 2018
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 3:48 pm    

BAIB 2018 is out and is on sale until the end of December.

RC

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 6:46 pm    

Any major upgrades?

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 6:09 pm    

There's a lot of new styles and program improvements. I don't know exactly what they are. I do the upgrade every year anyway. You can read all about version 2018 on the www.pgmusic.com website. I'll know more after I get a chance to get familiar with the new version.

I've noticed that sometimes people use just the basic version of BAIB with songs that people programmed years ago using the old MIDI styles and MIDI drums. The newer Real Styles and Real Tracks are a drastic improvement.

RC

Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:07 pm    

Using a program like EZdrummer and the DAW of your choosing, you can take the MIDI drums in BIAB and incorporate real drums sound into them.

For example, using BIAB with Pro Tools:
1. In BIAB, drag the 'Drum' file into the drop box. (newer versions)
2. Drag that drop boxed file onto an instrument track in Pro Tools, or your DAW
3. Assign a program like EZdrummer as the insert, with the outs of EZdrummer assigned to separate track inputs within Pro Tools

(It's easier than I'm describing it, lol)

A good thing about this method is that the each drum part is individualized (Kick, snare, toms, cymbals), and you can control the volumes separate.

Maybe someday BIAB will feature drum separation in their RealTracks Smile

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 9:55 pm    

Mark I agree. There's a lot of amazing things that can be done within the digital environment. I too use EZ Drummer and MIDI files. I also use EZ Keys and often a combination of everything I have to tweak out a song. Sometimes, if a BAIB drum track is almost what I want, but say the rim shot is not strong enough, I will duplicate the track and EQ what I want more or less of and mix it on a drum buss. I've been lazy and not doing much in the studio the past few months. I hope to do some projects during the colder winter months.

RC

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 6:12 am    

Here's an overview of the new features in BAIB 2018. There is now videos of the players playing their parts.... including steel players. The camera view is from above the neck so you can see both the right and left hands. I also noticed that the song library now includes 10,000 songs. My upgrade is on its way.

https://youtu.be/3Z8BM5_xpbk

RC

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 7:16 am    

Having been a novice BIAB user for several years (just creating songs to practice with) I haven't done any upgrades for 2007 version. I assume the difference would be quite noticeable with 2018. Question, if I find a style that I like but the drum or bass patten isn't what I want, can I import a different pattern into that style?

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2017 4:45 pm    

Yes, you can change any instrument in a style, combine styles, and then save it as a hybrid style if you want for future use. There's so many real track styles now to choose from, and lots of real drums. If the bass is a midi style, you can actually edit the bass to include walks from 1 to 4 chord, etc... It sounds complicated, but it's really simple. BAIB has come a long way from the old days. I've never been a fan of canned music, and I don't like to see performers using karaoke tracks, but on the other hand, BIAB, EZ Drummer, EZ Keys, MIDI, etc... allows me to do things in my home studio that I couldn't afford to do with live musicians... not to mention the convenience of doing it on my schedule.

Finding time is the hardest obstacle. Remodeling my great-grandfather's 1898 two story farmhouse is turning into a second career, but I enjoy it.

RC

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 8:37 am    

I guess my question is can you program your own melody of notes to form a melody. While BIAB has excellent rides & so forth, there are times I would like to have the ability to program in my own stuff.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2017 12:45 pm    

I just updated from BIAB 2013.... Wow What a difference. The sounds are great and a ton of new features.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 7:59 pm    

Ken there are you tube videos that will show you how to record your own style for BIAB to use.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 8:33 pm    

Harry, I'm not thinking of particular styles, but of
individual notes by an individual instrument, say, a fiddle.
If you want a melody that you have dreamed u to play, and
not something that BIB has conjured up, can you do that?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 7:08 am    

Rick,
Any update on real styles using 4/4 shuffle price style? In the past, they didn't have that and I don't care for midi style.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 11 Jan 2018 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 9:50 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
Rick,
Any update on real styles using 4/4 shuffle price style? In the past, they didn't have that and I don't care for mifi style.

Ron

Yes, there's some there but not exactly what we're looking for. I use the midi Ray Price shuffles and replace the drums with Real Drums (Nashville Shuffle or Nashville Swing) and sometimes replace the two piano tracks with a Real Tracks that is the left hand walk and right hand pads. You can edit the midi bass line to include some more tasteful walk ups, etc... I just import the individual tracks to Studio One and the bass edit is a simple drag the note process. You'll hear the note as you drag it. Not difficult at all.

RC

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 8:37 pm    

Ken, the way I understand it, and I haven't tried it yet, is that there is a template to use where you record the notes, scales, etc. that you want to play over a particular chord. The template contains a list of chords which you follow, playing what you want to play over that chord. BIAB then uses your recordings over the chords you have entered for a song just as it uses the other real tracks. That is how BIAB can change keys, tempo, etc. If you are talking about mixing your melody line with a BIAB track and recording it, I would probably mix that in something outside of BIAB.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 6:18 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
I guess my question is can you program your own melody of notes to form a melody. While BIAB has excellent rides & so forth, there are times I would like to have the ability to program in my own stuff.

yes...

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 1:13 pm    

which BIAB package should I get. I have the 2007 with 2011 upgrade now.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 6:19 am    

That all depends on how much you want to do with it. I get the UltraPAK because I want more real tracks. If you don't plan to do much with it, or don't mind using midi tracks, you could get by with the MegaPAK. The way I understand it, most of us would be wasting our money buying the audiophile version since our computers will convert the files to wave files when it uses them anyway. You can create some real nice sounding real band tracks with the UltraPAK. I use it all the time to create tracks for when I'm playing alone. Go to the PG Music site and read what each one offers. It will cost you a little more to upgrade from an older version.