The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EVM 12L Black Label Society
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 9:46 pm    

I was wondering if anyone out there has had the opportunity to try an EMV 12L Black Label Society speaker with steel guitar?

EVM 12Ls are known for their ability to be clean, loud, and almost indestructible. The Black Label has a larger magnet, better cooling capability, and built to Zakk Wylde's specs--and more bottom end to boot.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=308

The EVMs are heavy and expensive. Personally, I think the EVMs seem be a better-built speaker than Eminence; especially these Black Label speakers. I'm sure many out there will take issue with this. However, this is just my opinion. On the other hand, the Eminence PF 350 looks to be a real rugged design.

I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Thanks,

Don

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 4:20 am    

I can't comment on the Black Label version. However, I have been a huge EV 12L fan since the early 80's

Currently have several 12L's and 15L's used in my Music Man amps and rack system.

Yes, they are heavy, but sound very good....

Robert

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 8:51 am    

I can't comment on the new one's, but the 12L's and 12S's work great for steel or guitar!
Back in the 80's we hired a steel player to help us out on a two week job. After a couple of nights, he lost the BW in his Nash 1000, and the closest dealer didn't have a basket. I brought in a 2-12 cab that I had built for mids in our R&R band PA. (Closed back ported EV design). He hemmed and hawed how it wouldn't possibly work, and I told him it had to. He finally dimed his pedal and hit the low strings on his C6 neck, (yeah it was loud!) It sounded great, so he used it.
When we were loading out at the end of the gig, he tried to talk me out of the cab, told me to keep his pay! I sold him a couple of speakers at cost, and gave him the plans to build his own.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2017 9:54 am    

I have not tried the Black Label, but I do have a EVM12L 300W before the BL speaker came out. EVM12L's normally are 200W.
The 300w seems to have a stiffer cone and I prefer the 200W for 6-string guitar. The 300W I tried with steel once or twice in a Boogie Mark I reissue with steel and it seemed good, but I still prefer the 200W.
Lefty