The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dickerson lap steel replacement electronics.
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 9:21 pm    

I have just bought a sweet little Dickerson lap steel which has the most horrendous earthing issue. I knew it had problems when I bought it. I've managed to quieten down with resolding some joints and running a new earth wire to the string ferrules . In so doing I have lost all tone control. I think I will replace all the components now accept the pup which is quite strong. I believe the components are high quality so should I just resolder from scratch or start with new stuff. I will be giging with this guitar. Can someone recommend pot brand and capacitator value etc??
Thank you.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:25 am    

I replaced a tone control yesterday in a Dickerson and it had a 500k linear pot in it for the tone control. I did not pay attention to the cap value but yours appears to be .02 microfarads.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:51 am     .047 cap

The .22 cap rolls off high highs ,

The other most popular is .50 or .47 which will allow roll off to more lower frequencies.

If you are looking to roll off I recommend the .47 aka .047uf -- stew mac the little ceramic disc ones work fine or go orange drop.

A 250 k pot is the recommended value for single coils and will be a slight bit more dark than a 500k which is the common standard for humbuckers which are darker in general. Single coils are brighter in general.

Regarding shielding you can use the copper foil tape , or the graphite paint or both together in the control chamber -- buy from stew mac.

Those old Dickerson (Magnatone) laps use an Unshielded Single Coil pickup under the MOTS plastic, they are typical of hum induction. Sound great though.

Get modern 1/4 Jack cables with good capacitance and extra high shields. Planet Waves is one of the better brands. Well worth a google search and whatever expense.
YouTube Channel

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 3:24 pm    

Thank you gentlemen!! most appreciated. Very Happy