The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1963 Gibson Melody Maker $1000 plus Shipping
Jack Devereux

Brooklyn NY
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2017 8:47 am    

Very cool little Gibson for sale. This is a player’s guitar and priced accordingly. Original except for the bridge, which has been replaced with one with adjustable saddles. It honestly makes things more in tune, you can find a replacement wraparound easily, and it makes the guitar cheaper! Wins all around. The frets have also been replaced and have plenty of play left in them.

As you can see in the photos, the finish has some pretty significant crazing and some chips missing. I think it looks cool, but it’s a matter of taste. There’s a darker spot where I assume someone had a sticker and the finish faded differently. There’s a chip out of the tone knob and one in the back of the headstock. None of this affects how it plays or sounds and I think you can see it all in the photos but if you want more pictures of specific stuff I’m happy to send them.

For a one pickup guitar, it’s surprisingly versatile. Open the tone knob all the way up and you can get some snappy, twangy country sounds, roll it back a bit and it gets dark, almost Charlie Christian-y. Open the volume all the way up, put the tone about halfway and plug it into a cranked tube amp and suddenly you’re Keith Richards. (That’s probably the most fun, but, you know, neighbors...). It’s set up super comfy and plays in tune and with just the right amount of resistance.

I wish I could afford to keep it but I don’t play it enough and am trying to get the money together for a deposit on a D-10 from Gary Rittenberry. Comes with what I assume is the original case, which is in good shape. If you’re around Raleigh NC you’re welcome to come play it. This thing has mojo for days, check it out!