The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum or Rittenberry?
Joe Payne

Newfane, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 11:49 am    

This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. I'm getting back into playing steel again. I've owned a rebuilt push pull Emmons E9 I got from Billy Cooper (awesome), a new EMCI which I bought first and then traded to Billy Cooper for the push pull. (didn't like the sound of the EMCI) and a Sho Bud Super Pro E9/C6 which was awesome. all back in the late 80's. I am thinking of a Zum or Rittenberry E9. I know they are both great guitars. I'm 64 years old and want to get this right. If you were me, would you favor one over the other if the price were the same? And if so, why?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 12:26 pm    

Joe,What part of New Yawk?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 12:32 pm    

Between those two, I'd say it's a coin toss. Or buy the prettier one.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 1:00 pm     Rittenberry or Zum

I own 2 Rittenberry Prestige guitars and absolutely love them. I use one to gig and one stays setup in my music room for rehearsals.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 1:08 pm     Rittenberry or Zum

I own 2 Rittenberry Prestige guitars and absolutely love them. I use one to gig and one stays setup in my music room for rehearsals.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 1:50 pm    

I've been playing my U-12 ZumSteel since 2003 and it's been flawless and trouble free, plus it sounds fantastic. Simply put, it plays like a dream! Having said that, I've never played a Rittenberry so I can't really compare, but, I've heard of their great reputation.
So, if the prices are close and their setups are what you like, I'd say to go for what pleases your eyes. Also, try to play both and compare them yourself. They're both reputable guitars and worth their money.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 2:01 pm    

A Cadillac versus a Lincoln.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 3:27 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
A Cadillac versus a Lincoln.

So choose the one with cupholder placement you like better (for those who can't quite read my humor, this is to say that the two are on a level plane; choose the one that speaks to you, or the one that comes with split cases).

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 3:41 pm    

I have never heard of a negative comment on either one and you can throw the new MSA in the same mix.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 9:15 pm    

A Ferrarri and a Mazzerati.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 10:03 pm     Re: Zum or Rittenberry?

Joe Payne wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. I'm getting back into playing steel again. I've owned a rebuilt push pull Emmons E9 I got from Billy Cooper (awesome), a new EMCI which I bought first and then traded to Billy Cooper for the push pull. (didn't like the sound of the EMCI) and a Sho Bud Super Pro E9/C6 which was awesome. all back in the late 80's. I am thinking of a Zum or Rittenberry E9. I know they are both great guitars. I'm 64 years old and want to get this right. If you were me, would you favor one over the other if the price were the same? And if so, why?

It will depend on the actual steel you buy more then anything.
Zumsteels are built like Swiss watches. I think the newer models sound better than the older ones. Great instruments but I was never temped to buy one so far. If I was I would get that red S10 with the tuning stabilizer Michael is selling.

Rittenberry makes a great instrument also. I really like how they sound. I checked out the first prestige when Wayne Dahl got it. Unfortunately a perfect 67 Emmons was in the room with it.

Which brings up a point. Old Emmons guitars sound better then everything by quite a bit. Plus they are pretty consistent. If you know you like how old Emmons steels sound why not play an Emmons ?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2017 10:24 pm     Re: Zum or Rittenberry?

Quote:
Unfortunately a perfect 67 Emmons was in the room with it

yes, that would do it lol

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:03 am    

If you go with Zum, you will have to find a used one. If taken care of, that shouldn't matter as Bruce built extremely high quality guitars. Gary Rittenberry also builds high quality guitars, and, to the best of my knowledge, has started building again after some health issues. I've had both and could be happy with either one. If you want to expand your options, there are several other top tier guitars being built today. Don't rule out Mullen!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 6:02 am    

http://williamsguitarcompany.com/guitars.html

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 10:33 am    

Precisely - There's Emmons guitars (Push-Pulls & LeGrandes) for sale on the SGF all the time starting @ $3500. To me - they're still the best designed steel there is.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 11:04 am    

Human nature being what it is, everybody will tell you to buy what they play. Personally, I like and recommend MSA.

But the truth is that everybody is making great steels today, and you will get a fine instrument regardless of what you buy.

If possible, you should go to a steel guitar shop like Jim Palenscar's here in California, or a steel guitar show like Dallas, and try our different ones, and see which one appeals to you.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 11:59 am    

The new MSA guitars are in the same class as Zum and Rittenberry. On the plus side they are super compact, light, in current production and have a ton of really nice features like Lfrets, swap-able pickups, pedal height adjustments from your seat and much more.

Some of the nice features are covered here and more have been added since I got mine:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Msa/msa.html

MSA also has an active Facebook page as well as a web site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 3:47 pm    

I find it interesting that the question posed was, in paraphrase, "I'm hungry, should I have pizza or Chinese?" and people are answering "Curry sounds nice."

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 5:53 pm    

Sometimes I tell my wife I’m hungry for pizza, and she brings up a restaurant that I haven’t thought of in a long time and sounds better than the pizza I thought I was hungry for.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 6:00 pm    

Oh Well

Last edited by Roger Crawford on 1 Dec 2017 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2017 8:37 pm    

Roger, that happens to me all the time....

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 2:40 am    

robert kramer wrote:
Precisely - There's Emmons guitars (Push-Pulls & LeGrandes) for sale on the SGF all the time starting @ $3500. To me - they're still the best designed steel there is.

even less than that !

Both Steels mentioned above are excellent, either or, no doubt. But I do feel that you may want to explore some other brands that are listed here for sale. Those Emmons "L" guitars are quite mighty and there are a few that are very competitively priced here on the forum right now. Early 4 hole puller guitars or later 14 hole puller guitars, either can fill the void with zero regret.

best to you

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 3:08 am     Hummm...

Unfortunately, I've eaten both pizza and Chinese that weren't worth a crap. The trick is to find that one in a hundred steel, that the music gods smiled on. Sometimes, builder matters not. I'm working on one now, un-freaking believable!

Zum or Ritt? I say... Kiss a lot of toads!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 9:17 am    

Wow, Greg! I just went through the 'underside' photos of your MSA. That guitar is a work of art! Surely they're the 'Rolls-Royce' of steel guitars?

They have my attention - it even looks as though I could change a 'pull' on it without too much trouble (and that's saying something!). [/i]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 10:40 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Surely they (MSA)'re the 'Rolls-Royce' of steel guitars?

I feel the same way about MSA. But my father had a saying; "A Rolls Royce goes frontwards and backwards. A Ford goes frontwards and backwards. When they make a Rolls Royce that goes sideways I'll buy one. Till then I'll stick with my Ford."

All the steels made today go frontwards and backwards. Ritt, Fessy, Sho-Pro, Justice, Mullen, GFI, etc. Every one of them is a fine instrument that will serve you well.

My suggestion is that you make a dart board with different brands pasted on different places on the target, and throw a dart, and buy whichever one the dart lands on. Laughing