The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Difference in Stringmaster Leg Sockets
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:08 am    

Apparently earlier Stringmaster leg sockets had less of an angle than the later models as shown in the picture below. The earlier ones have roughly 10 degrees while the later ones have more like 20. I'm not sure when the change occurred but the '53, '54 long scale bodies I'm currently working on have the smaller angle while my '59 short scale D8 has the larger. The '56 D6 that I used to own had a nice straddle to it so I'm guessing the change was mid-50's. It makes a big difference. The small angle feels much less stable to me. I've managed to acquire some of the later style to swap out but could use 1-5 more if you happen to have any.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:20 am    

True, the early Stringmaster legs were not as "splayed out" as the later ones. I think the earlier version was only for a year or two. I guess Fender decided that a wider stance would be more stable.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:28 am    

I think all the early (long scale) ones had the smaller angle. When the later medium and short scale guitars came out, they used the new legs and sockets with the larger angle.

Of course there are quite a few differences apart from scale length. They pretty much re-designed the Stringmaster when they introduced the shorter scales.

The screw thread may have changed too - not sure if legs from a long scale would fit on to a short/medium or vice versa.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:32 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:

......The screw thread may have changed too - not sure if legs from a long scale would fit on to a short/medium or vice versa.

Out of curiosity, Bill, can you answer this from your experiences with swapping these parts?

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:45 am    

Jon Light wrote:
Jeff Mead wrote:

......The screw thread may have changed too - not sure if legs from a long scale would fit on to a short/medium or vice versa.

Out of curiosity, Bill, can you answer this from your experiences with swapping these parts?

No change to the screw threads in my experience, at least through the 50's. They're all 3/4"-10 threaded sockets. Same goes for the professional series. I can't imagine that they changed the threads in the 60's but I haven't owned a Stringmaster later than my '59.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:46 am    

Here's an early one.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 8:57 am    

Bill Sinclair wrote:

No change ..........

Thanks.