Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pink
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 7:31 am    

Charlie - Laughing

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of mothers who perform dangerous/life-threatening jobs.

You're probably right Chris, but I would hope it wouldn't be plenty..

I'll drift off topic for a moment and think women as cops, fire fighters, soldiers etc, circus performers, stunt actors, astronauts, extreme sports athletes, mountain climbers & survivalists...and heck, women who do Christian ministry in countries hostile to Christianity... PLENTY. Women are tough & as willing to take risks as men - I'm sure I'm not even scratching the surface.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 9:03 am    

Well, I see it's a Brave New World... Winking

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 12:18 pm    

Two things struck me while watching that:

1) Where does one go to rehearse such an act?

2) Why does it look like all of the flips and jumps are happening in slow-motion? How can that be, when it needs to be timed to real-time music (even if pre-recorded)? I don't think those moves were done in actual time... ??

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 12:48 pm    

Maybe the video was pre-recorded, as well as the audio? Maybe she was sitting home on her couch watching the “performance” at the same time everyone else saw it...? That’s show biz.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 1:58 pm    

Maybe Pink used the same set that Batman and Robin did...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml09gXbkqHo

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 2:15 pm    

Pink is an interesting performer. BTW: she does NOT lipsync. She has stated publicly many times that she is 100% against lipsyncing, so when you see her do the acrobatics, she is also doing the singing.

It isn't my kind of music, but there is no questioning her artistic integrity and her willingness to give everything she has for her fans. She was seriously injured 8 years ago when there was a mishap with her harness. But she made it on to the stage to tell the audience she couldn't perform the last number and she made the next show.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 4:22 pm    

Her disdain for lip syncing is not what is being discussed, What nobody really seems to know is if she had no choice on her AMA performance.

Is there technology to live mic an act like that? Inquiring minds would like to know, even if we don't really care that much.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 4:45 pm    

My understanding is she did not lip sync for that performance. How it was done, smarter minds than mine will have to answer

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 4:56 am    

It's nice to see you're back Bill!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 5:36 am    

Thanks for the welcome Joachim. Been playing nothing but dobro lately (and for a few years, i stopped playing completely) so have spent more time at places like resohangout. It is good to be back playing music. Went to my first local jam and played with people for the first time in many years. It felt great.

Sorry for the interruption in the Pink discussion

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 5:41 am    

Bill, glad to see you're back in the Pink. Wink

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 6:40 am    

The breathing is hard to believe. One of her affectations (good word, Roger) is audible out-breaths after each "my love".
Every breath and every bend of the stomach would have to be coreographed. As it is, I don't hear any big in inhalations.
Maybe she has an incredible diaphragm.

I'm not knocking it; is there a difference between this performance and Mary Martin's in 'Peter Pan'?
Could the height between the performer and the ground have an effect on her breathing?
(Am I thinking I couldn't do it, therefore she couldn't, doubting her fearlessness?)
The illusion's the thing and it's impressive no matter what, but I have my doubts technically.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 6:56 am    

For those who haven't read this interview from 2010, it is pretty interesting: http://www.accesshollywood.com/articles/pink-on-her-grammys-performance-i-have-never-lip-synched-in-my-entire-life-81800/

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 7:05 am    

“I’m actually better at singing upside down than I am right side up. I’m not even kidding,” Pink said.

I could be wrong.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 12:30 pm    

Quote:
My understanding is she did not lip sync for that performance.

Quote:
How it was done, smarter minds than mine will have to answer

Bill, if you don't know how it was done, how did you arrive at that understanding?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 1:50 pm    

Because of the article I posted and from stories I've seen on her on TV. and I have no reason to believe she is lying, and performers who have seen her do it say she is singing.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 2:31 pm    

We are talking about the AMA performance specifically.

As far as anyone knows, nobody has ever done a song and dance act while suspended by cable on the side of a building before. And, thus far no one can explain the technology that would make it possible without lip syncing, although it was respectfully mentioned long ago in this thread that if anyone could do it, it would be Pink. That does not settle the matter, and neither does her adamant resolve to always sing live as stated in that article from 2010. She may well have been singing her heart out, but is that what we were hearing?

I wonder what the audience on the street was hearing. Probably a muffled echo-y jumbled up mess, if anything.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 3:01 pm    

Well, according to twitter anyway, she didn't:

Martina McBride

@Pink I don’t even know what to say. Seriously beautiful and amazing performance. And she did that while delivering a perfect vocal. Damn

Brian Particelli
How some people are OK lip-syncing at the same event where P!nk is literally scaling buildings without missing a note is beyond me. #AMAs

My guess is: if she lip synched for the first time in her life, we'd know about it by now.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 3:50 pm    

Apologies, Bill, but I don't think tweets are a reliable source of information regarding this subject..

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 3:57 pm    

Well, Barry, not sure there is anything that can convince you. Do you have any proof she lip synced? Anyone say she lip sync? Right now, we have her saying she is 100% against lip syncing. She has done similar things in hundreds of performances, we have other performers saying she never lip syncs, people praising her for not lip syncing at the AMA's, and zero people saying she lip synced.

Convinces me. But if you have anything to the contrary....

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 4:32 pm    

Those of you who insist she lip-synced - where's your evidence? Are you truly insisting that a comment from Martina McBride holds no weight? Are you kidding me?

Quote:
We are talking about the AMA performance specifically.

Just a reminder - this thread was spun off as off-topic comments from a bitch thread about the way Sarah Jory conducts herself. The topic is "Pink".

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less whether or not it was lip-synced. But I tend to believe "people in the biz" who are much closer to what's going on more than evidence-less comments on the steel guitar forum.

Technically, I don't see why this couldn't be done live. Almost 50 years ago, with infinitely cruder acoustic, electronic, and signal processing capabilities capability available, we were getting voice feeds from astronauts as they were walking on the moon.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 5:18 pm    

It's common knowledge that Pink doesn't lip-sync. I'm not a fan of her music, but there's no denying that she's the real deal.

A good friend of mine is a music maniac. He goes to a lot of rock concerts, buys current music, and calls out any performer who isn't genuine. When I mentioned this topic to him, he said that Pink would never lip-sync a performance. I believe him because he has been following her career for a long time and knows what he's talking about.

Can you imagine Tom Petty lip-syncing? He would have lost most of his fans. Same with Rush. Same with Pink.

Besides, you can hear her getting out of breath during some of the moves. She even misses a couple of words. That's no studio performance. That's live sound!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 7:26 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Charlie McDonald wrote:
Do you think it was lip-synced?

No. She was dancing on the side of a building. Just a wild guess, but I would say singing was probably the easy part.

And that's how Charlie and I initiated this nonsense. Just for the record. It must have been a slow day on the forum. Cool

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 7:50 pm    

This is slightly off the original topic but concerning Pink and I just wanted to add:

Forumite Matt Kelly performed with Pink (on pedal steel) on Ellen Degeneres' show this year, kudos to Matt!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 9:40 pm    

Actually, Paul...that is sooooo right on topic, you should be nominated for an AMA award for best reality check on an otherwise ridiculous thread, which I have had so ridiculously much to do with.I wish I would have lip sync'd it instead.