The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Epiphany of a Dummy
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 9:42 am    

I just bought (trial for 45 days from Guitar Center) a Katana 50 amp. Being by far more of a "home" or small venue player, this little 27 lb amp seems more than adequate. Anyway, I have just discovered the combination of volume, gain and master controls, and their relevancy to each other have as much if not more effect on "tone" or sound if you will than obvious bass, mid and treble,,,or they seem to to me.

Anyway,,,after a couple of days playing with it I really like it.

I'd still like to try a small tube amp if I could find one that would handle steel in a small venue (home or jam).

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 7:04 am    

AS a follow up, I'm finding I get a much "warmer" sound when I turn the gain down as low as possible (and still get sound),,,then regulate between master and volume for various degrees of tone. Other opinions????

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 12:28 am    

Lots of small tube amps Will cover smaller gigs. Or basically any gig. Personally I lean away from any sort of amplifier that has a master volume on it especially for steel but that’s just my Pinyan. And I played steel through a couple Tube amps with the master volume and got a very nice tone out of them. I would always rather have a tube amplifier with a master volume than a solid-state amplifier 100 out of 100 times

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 1:05 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I'm finding I get a much "warmer" sound when I turn the gain down as low as possible (and still get sound),,,then regulate between master and volume for various degrees of tone.
The lower the gain, the more headroom you'll have in that amp-stage, so your observations sound right.

Have no experience with that amp, but, in general: 50 Watt is about half the audible volume compared to a 200 Watt amp. Means you can get far with a small amp if it's adjusted right.
Most overload distortion takes place in the pre-amp / eq stages, so keeping level in those stages down and open fully up for the power-amp stage, will let you produce the warmest and least distorted sound at the highest audible volume.