The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thumb picks
Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 7:24 am    

Where could I buy a thumb pick similar to this one? I prefer the longer style and need a longer blade than is offered by most thumb picks.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 7:50 am    

Good assortment here:

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/thumbpicks

I'm wondering if your pic is a Geipel.

Thom Gustafson

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 8:07 am    

I doubt that pick is a Geipel zither pick. When the band is shaped to your thumb the blade is actually very short with a Geipel.

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 5:13 am    

Thanks for the replies.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 5:45 am    

I was using tortoise National Ms, but went to Golden Gate and love them - pricey though.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 2:57 pm    

Mark, that looks like the old Jeff Newman thumb pick. They do have a longer blade.

Melissa indicated that they might be re-making these. https://www.facebook.com/JeffranMusicOfficial/ might check with her.

I've been buying the large size Dunlops and re-positioning and re-shaping the ring with boiling water which gives me a little longer blade which I also like.

The harder the material, the crisper the snap on the low end. I like the new Ultex ultra-hard material, but they are really hard to re-shape.

I like long blade thumb picks too.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 7:46 pm    

I am partial to a Zookie 20 degree medium.

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 12:40 am    

Thanks again.

Jerry, I like the longer blade in your photo, on the right. I may give that a try.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 7:40 am    

I use a Zookie 20 deg also. Very comfortable and stable.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 9:17 am    

Fred kelly thumb picks! They are great. You can buy a whole bag from Musicians Friend. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 10:02 am    

I go back and forth between Fred Kelly Slick Picks and the Zookie 20's. I've used the Zookie 20's for years on dobro and won't change but starting to prefer the Fred Kelly's on PSG especially for harmonics.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 10:13 am    

These may all be some fine picks. I've used just about everything there is and none of them have the longer blade that Mark is talking about...except for the old Jeff Newman's...that I know of anyway.

About the only thing you can do for a longer blade on a traditional guitar thumb pick is do it yourself, re-shape the ring and re-work it for more blade exposure.

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 5:06 pm    

Another vote for Fred Kelly slick picks.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 8:27 pm    

Thanks, but my short, fat thumb needs the long blade!

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 2:06 pm    

Mark you talk about your thumb being short,and fat, have you had problems getting thumb picks to fit in the past?
If so I have a pick that's instantly adjustable and will fit my big toe. And will play in both directions.
I have worked with people in the past that have had physical problems with there thumbs and I have a pick that will work for a lot of players.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 4:39 pm    

Fred Kelly "speed" picks, the white ones.

bob

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 4:31 am    

Duplicate

Last edited by Mark Robinson on 25 Nov 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 4:39 am    

Richard McVicker wrote:
Mark you talk about your thumb being short,and fat, have you had problems getting thumb picks to fit in the past?
If so I have a pick that's instantly adjustable and will fit my big toe. And will play in both directions.
I have worked with people in the past that have had physical problems with there thumbs and I have a pick that will work for a lot of players.

Richard, I have a set of Saddle picks and while I like the finger picks, I prefer a traditional thumb pick. I just can't seem to find one with a long blade.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 2:56 pm    

This may sound very crude to a lot of players, but I solved the problem getting a longer tine on the thumb pick. I take a pick that fits my thumb real nice, then take another thumb pick cut the flat tine off, then super glue it onto the short tine one, a little longer, to get the length I want. I see no difference in the playing on a steel, or a banjo. It lasts just as long, and never comes loose or breaks. So you ruin one pick, but problem solved.

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 6:17 am    

Just as Ronnie said , you can take a SADDLE pick that you like and super glue or even use a small "SMALL" screw and attach any length or size pick to the bottom. I have even added metal to the pick.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 8:23 am    

I've used most thumb picks out there and have had specially designed pickups trying to accentuate the treble aspect of the wound strings, etc. and since I am a ProPik dealer David at Guptill Music sent me a sample of the ProPik Quick-Pik thumb pick and voila! - there it was. I dislike the metal band as it catches the string sometimes but still working on modifying that and it's improving. It has a Fred Kelly-like tang on it but more definition to the bass strings and quite a bit more than a std plastic thumb pick whether it be a Zookie, National, Dunlop, etc.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 11:40 am    

Jim--catching the string was my issue with this different ProPik and I worked it like this so that it is no longer a problem. Haven't used this pick in a while--need to revisit it. I totally know what you mean about finding that 'tang' in the wound strings. Less thud, more zing. It has been a quest of mine too.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 1:52 pm    

Something to consider with thumbpicks is the string-blocking element…

I used a standard Dunlop thumb-pick for many years when I was palm-blocking and it worked fine.

When I decided to learn pick-blocking, I bought Joe Wright’s instructional video on the subject.
Joe explained that (just as Paul Franklin has stated) that it would be more accurate to describe much of “pick-blocking” as “finger-tip and thumb-edge blocking”. To accomplish the thumb-edge blocking, Joe liked to shave down a standard thumb-pick to the size of the little short-blade blue Herco thumbpicks that Paul uses (as does Doug Jernigan and many other top-notch players).

I have big hands and a big thumb, and I wasn’t sure if the very short-blade blue Herco thumbpick would work—but it absolutely did. The only problem with the blue Herco thumbpicks was that the Delrin material they are made of would warm up as I played and loosen its grip on my thumb, so I learned to switch to a spare thumbpick about midway through each 45-minute set.

Then a friend gave me a Fred Kelly speed-pick, which is the same size as the Hercos, but apparently made out of a slightly different formula of Delrin which seems unaffected by body heat. Another advantage is that the little tang in the middle of the blade is able to flex when hitting the string while the two outside segments of the pick do not--which helps keep the pick on my thumb, a very clever design.

If you’d like to add thumb-edge blocking to either your palm-blocking or pick-blocking, the Fred Kelly speed-picks cost less than $1, so why not give them a try?

-Dave

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2017 3:57 am    

Thanks for all the responses. Thumb picks are as varied and diverse as copedants, tunings, and steel guitars themselves and I sincerely appreciate and respect everyone's input and opinions.

The search for an ergonomically, utopian, long bladed thumb pick continues.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2017 3:18 pm    

Jon, Those are great looking thumbpicks! I love metal picks with bowls or curved edges that minimize string scraping, especially on the wound strings.