INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Back from SWSGA - The SGF Store is Now Open
for Business at SteelGuitarShopper.com

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If I was building a new computer....
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:22 am     Reply with quote

https://www.frys.com/search?query_string=9200779&nearbyStoreName=false&site=160email112417

I built this same machine this summer for gaming. The CPU alone was around $230. So this deal is a super cheap CPU plus a free motherboard, basically. And my new machine is the fastest one I've ever built. Nearly twice as fast as my 8-core FX-8350 machine.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:26 am     Reply with quote

... and I see NewEgg has the same deal for about $60 more.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3698357

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Potter

Texas
Post Posted 24 Nov 2017 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Interesting. I decided to try going the DIY route to build my own gaming PC several years (and several hardware generations) ago. The process was an education in itself; one must spend hours upon hours doing research on hardware components to make sure they'll all play nice together.

The novelty of that wore off, though, and now I let someone else do it. I'm willing to pay a little more for the convenience, and actually, it's not a lot more, due to the economies of scale large companies enjoy.

I'm an Intel guy myself, and recently ordered a new "barebones" gaming rig. Bought only the case, MSI mobo (which I love, compared to my old ASUS), faster RAM, 1200W PSU, and the icing on the cake is the liquid-cooled Intel Core i9 7920X (12 Core 24 Thread - 2.9 / 4.3GHz - 44 PCIe Lanes). Also bought a 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) - M.2 PCIe - NVMe to go with another one like it I already had. These M.2 SSDs are the cat's meow these days.

It's a nice rig, and the 7920X 12 core processor is up there with the best of 'em on the performance charts. I paid a little more than the price of your Fry's link, but you mostly get what you pay for. Winking

When it arrived, I harvested my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 from my old box, plugged it in, along with my 3 Acer 4K monitors, and it was off to the races. Fun stuff.