The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win 7 updates
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 5:47 am    

Recently when I try to update the computer it is acting strange. When I do some critical updates it will sometimes download and install. Some of them do not require restarting. When I try to install either critical or important updates that require restarting in some cases it will not install. It says it is installed, and to restart, but when that happens it shuts down at least 2 times and then when it says it is configuring it will then tell me it is reverting the download. What is going on?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 9:09 am    

I've never seen the reverting the download message, but a lot of Windows updates will restart the computer more than once. That's normal.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 9:30 am    

Sometimes the Windows Updates catalog (list of installed updates) becomes corrupted, or is not read correctly. Curing this involves renaming the affected directory, rebooting, then checking for updates again (from the Administrator's account). I lack the time to look up the details until I get home from my day job. Maybe someone else can chime in before then.

In the meanwhile, leave the updates alone. There are important items that need to be tended to. This includes updating Adobe Flash and any non-Microsoft browsers you have installed. Those programs were all updated this week.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 11:43 am    

The ones that are giving me problems is the Preview of Quality rollup for Win 7 and Micro divices for AMD SMBus. Both of these show up in the important update section. The Micro divices never installs and the Quality rollup does sometime. I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser and both it and Flash have been updated. Win IE is still there.