The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Florida steel tech?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 11:11 am    

Is there anybody in FL that could work on my Emmons LeGrande? It's a real mess and it's beyond me to put it right.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 1:17 pm    

Maybe, Bondz Music in Wildwood. Both the owner (Jonny Bondz) and the Manager (Jr Reich) are both steel players and they have done work on steel's they've sold. About the only possibility that I know of since the guy in Tallahassee passed away.

http://www.bondzmusic.com/

(They have three of the new Peavey Session 115's in stock)

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 1:27 pm    

Thanks, Jack. I'll try them.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 5:52 pm    

Roger, unless you've just bought a guitar that is severely ill adjusted? Or worse. In other words. If the problem is with a guitar you've been playing. I feel sure you can get help here to talk you through it. LeGrandes are pretty much bomb proof. And easy to work on. And if you need major work? Which I doubt. I wouldn't let anyone touch it that doesn't have a known reputation for being and outstanding steel tech.

None of my business. Just a thought.

b.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 6:10 pm    

Roger, I would suggest that you get it up to Bobby Boggs and you will be very pleased. Or just talk to him on the phone. He is a very nice gentleman. J.R.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 7:09 pm    

What exactly is wrong with it?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 5:31 am    

Bobby has been kind enough to offer some guidance via PMs on here. He's encouraging me to look at the problem for myself. I'm all thumbs with any kind of mechanical work so I'm understandably cautious.

I had the guitar cleaned and 'gone over' in September after my Summer-long gig and haven't had a chance to sit and play it since then because I've been away playing my Zum Encore on another show. That show closed Sunday and at last I'm home.

I did have them change a pull for me - I wanted my LKV to raise the 6th from G# to B. Theoretically that would give me a 6th chord with my 5th and 6th raised. In practice, though, the LKV 'throw' is too long and it's not comfortable to use.

However..... I now find that my 5th string won't lower on my RKL and that's a really vital change for me. I have just looked a little closer and this is what I've found:

Lowering the 5th doesn't work on its own. But, when I engage my C pedal ('Day' set-up) then engage my RKL, then the 5th will lower and get the split-tune! Take the C pedal out of the equation and RKL doesn't move the 5th string. (It still lowers my 10th to A, by the way.)

In addition, and maybe this isn't important, some of the nylon tuners are slightly protruding beyond the end-plate. It wasn't like this before.

These issues, while perhaps being insignificant on their own, are overwhelming me. Hence my somewhat panicky initial post. I know there are those out there who, if they're reading this, are thinking: "Why doesn't he just flip the guitar over and fix it?" but they haven't watched me trying to change a fuse here at home.... Embarassed

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 8:17 am    

Roger just to be clear. I think of the C pedal as raising 4 and 5 a full step be it a Day Or Emmons set-up. Also what are all your E9 changes on your RKL? I'm guessing B's to A's? Or B's to Bb's?

Just trying to be sure I have your set right in my mind. I'll get back to you mid-afternoon.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 8:24 am    

I'm sorry - my 'A' pedal but pedal 3 (raising 5 and 10) as I'm a 'Day' player.

I wasn't clear.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 8:42 am    

B to Bb on the 5th string, Bobby. B to A on the 10th, although, to be honest, I so rarely use that one I may as well have the 10th dropping to Bb too.

It makes sense to call my third pedal the 'A' - I will do that in future. It saves any confusion.

Where are you in SC? It doesn't seem to be an impossible distance for me should I need major steel-surgery in the future.

Thanks very much for your help.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 2:58 pm    

Have you tried backing out your split tuning screw on 5 and backing off the pedal and knee lever tuner on 5 and retune everything?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 3:20 pm    

Not yet - that all sounds like rocket-science to me.

But I will try.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 4:22 pm    

Roger, The 10 screws across the back of the changer mount are the split tuning screws.Just back out #5 to where it doesn't touch anything even with the pedal and lever depressed, the back off the nylon tuners on string 5.

1. Tune string open with the machine head (tuning peg)

2. With raise pedal only depressed, tune raise with the hex nylon tuner.

3. Release raise pedal and with lowering lever only depressed, tune lower with the hex nylon tuner.

4. Depress the raise pedal and lowering lever at the same time. This gives you your split tuning and notice the note is a little sharp. While holding both pedal and lever depressed, adjust the hex tuner clockwise until the proper pitch is reached.

5. Depress the lowering lever only and notice that this note is a little flat. Go to the socket head screw on the back of the changer mount and adjust it clockwise until the proper pitch is reached.

It is recommended that all these steps be repeated after all the strings are tuned. This gives a fine tuning after the strings are stretched.

This is from The Emmons Company.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 4:28 pm    

Norman - thanks for all your trouble!

I will try that tomorrow when it's a bit lighter here in my music room.

I actually have that piece of paper from Emmons somewhere here. I remain mystified as to how a simple overhaul with one small KL change could have caused such chaos! The guitar played perfectly before it went in the shop.

I'm obliged to you and for all suggestions. Bobby Boggs has, as always, been a great source of support yet we have never met.

This is a great forum.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 4:55 pm    

I backed off the split-tuning screw and at last the 5th string drops on RKL!

The whole guitar needs fine-tuning, however, and I still don't like that cluster of nylon tuners protruding beyond the end-plate (mainly the raises on strings 5 & 6). That's not how the guitar was before it was 'fixed'.

I need fresh ears now and I'll get on to it tomorrow. Thanks again to all who responded.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 12:40 pm    

I've gone at this project with 'fresh ears' and I've pretty much got her in tune. I have yet to flip it over and follow up on Bobby's suggestions regarding the protruding nylon tuners. I intend doing that.

For now, though, it's good to have (almost) everything working well again. I have adjusted the split-tuning on strings 4 and 5 and that's now good.

Only thing now is that my 9th (F) string on C6th is hanging up a bit sharp. If I depress pedal 8 (boo-wah) it returns to pitch open. Might that be rods rubbing together?