The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dale Watson Christmas Record
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 12:02 pm    

Have any of you heard Dale Watson's Christmas record, "Christmas Time in Texas? He released it in 2001, and there's a song on there called "Christmas Love", which is a duet with one of my all-time favorite country singers who is a friend of mine, Danni Leigh. Both Dale and Danni do a great job with the song, and it features great guitar and piano work and I think Ricky Davis played steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 3:44 pm    

Brett, I have saw Dale perform most of it at a cold, snowy December night years ago at the now defunct but legendary Bottom Line in New York City. Great show.

I think he still has the CD available, check Amazon or Ebay, its a good one, Ricky is on it along with Earle Poole Ball and Joy Lynn White, no mention on the liner notes of Danni. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 4:24 pm    

Craig Stock wrote:
Brett, I have saw Dale perform most of it at a cold, snowy December night years ago at the now defunct but legendary Bottom Line in New York City. Great show.

I think he still has the CD available, check Amazon or Ebay, its a good one, Ricky is on it along with Earle Poole Ball and Joy Lynn White, no mention on the liner notes of Danni. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Danni sings the "Christmas Love" duet with Dale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 5:14 pm    

That may be a live version somewhere, but on the CD the writing credits are Dale Watson, Joy White/Dale Watson Music, BMI, Songs of Welk, BMI. And on the credits Joy Lynn White on 'Christmas Love' and 'Christmas time in Texas'

Please post a video or recording of it if you have it. Thanks!

Maybe Ricky D. can solve the mystery

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 8:14 pm    

Craig Stock wrote:
That may be a live version somewhere, but on the CD the writing credits are Dale Watson, Joy White/Dale Watson Music, BMI, Songs of Welk, BMI. And on the credits Joy Lynn White on 'Christmas Love' and 'Christmas time in Texas'

Please post a video or recording of it if you have it. Thanks!

Maybe Ricky D. can solve the mystery

Hey Craig, the song is on YouTube-the album version-I can't remember the link, but look for Christmas Love in the searchbox-there's a live version and also the album version in the results. I think Joy Lynn White wrote it with him, and Danni sang the duet.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 5:06 am    

Craig has it right. Credits list Joy Lynn White as doing the vocals on Christmas Love and back-up vocals on Christmas Time In Texas.

No mention of Danni at all.

Credits:

Dale Watson - Guitar/Vocals
Billy Dee Donahue - Bass/Background Vocals
Scott Matthews - Drums/Brushes
Ricky Davis - Pedal Steel/SS Hawaiian Steel
Earle Poole Ball - Upright Piano
Joy Lynn White - Vocal on Christmas Love/Background Vocal on Christmas Time In Texas

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 8:38 am    

I did some research and found an interview with Dale about the record. He said he and Danni had to go in and redo the vocals. I think at one time, he and Danni were on the same label. Some reviews on Amazon list the song as a duet with Danni, and some don't tell. I'll have to check with Danni.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 4:08 pm    

Let us know when you find out.