The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D'Addario NYXL String users: chime in 👉 👉 👉
Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 10:49 am    

A little more than most but very good deal from Bob.You get the strings very quick too. Very good strings.RS

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 4:53 pm    

Don't know how they could be better than Live Steel strings but I haven't tried them

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 4:46 pm    

In my opinion, they are the best, most consistent strings made right now.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 5:20 pm    

Is there a difference between D'Addario XL Pro Steel strings available here on the forum, and the NYXL? Some of the marketing language is the same, and they're a lot less expensive than NYXLs. Bob Lee, what do you know about this?

If you need single NYXL string singles, the cheapest source I've found online is stringsbymail.com. Hoping the forum will carry those someday soon, I'd rather support our home base here. But for my extended E9 neck, I'll always need .042 and .054 singles to complete my sets.

I don't expect D'Addario to make an extended E9 set any time soon, it's a miracle they have standard E9 sets!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 5:25 pm    

John, the NYXL line is a completely different string. They are a different formula of metal, and you can definitely tell in tuning stability and how well they bend. A quote from D’Addario’s page...

“NYXL’s provide more strength and up to 131% greater tuning stability by utilizing a completely reinvented wire drawing process coupled with a revolutionary “fusion twist” process for the plain steels. The reformulated nickel plated string windings have greater magnetic properties resulting in higher output and enhanced mid-range frequency response for more presence and crunch.”

-t

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 6:29 pm    

Just ordered some E9th and C6th sets from Bob to try out - I have had a great run with Jagwires, and have used Paul
s gauges for years - but always interested in trying something new - time will tell Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 7:43 pm    

They made a significant difference in my Williams. That guitar really came to the party. On the Zum, not as much.
I would describe it as a stronger tone. Slightly more string tension. Less prone to bridge fizzing. Real even across registers.
I tried the NYXL strings on standard 6 string electric and did not care for the added tension.

They are quite expensive, especially if you play 12 string. The 10 string set was over $17, and they hit you for about $4.50 apiece for strings 11 and 12. I think D'Addarrio should rethink their pricing. Do they last longer? A bit. Not long enough to justify the extra price, based on longevity.

For me, it improved my Williams enough to justify the price. I'll probably stick with less expensive strings on other guitars, where the improvement was more subtle.
John

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 9:02 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Just ordered some E9th and C6th sets from Bob to try out - I have had a great run with Jagwires, and have used Paul
s gauges for years - but always interested in trying something new - time will tell Very Happy

Paddy,

Did you ever try the Live Steel strings? I really like the Jags but the Lives were amazing how long they lasted

bob

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 9:50 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Is there a difference between D'Addario XL Pro Steel strings available here on the forum, and the NYXL? Some of the marketing language is the same, and they're a lot less expensive than NYXLs. Bob Lee, what do you know about this?

If you need single NYXL string singles, the cheapest source I've found online is stringsbymail.com. Hoping the forum will carry those someday soon, I'd rather support our home base here. But for my extended E9 neck, I'll always need .042 and .054 singles to complete my sets.

I don't expect D'Addario to make an extended E9 set any time soon, it's a miracle they have standard E9 sets!

I'm gradually getting NYXL singles in stock. I have the plain gauges. I'll get some of the wounds in my next order. I'll make it a point to include .042 and .054 for your extended E9th, John, and .070 too for the U-12 players.

It's a big investment to stock all of these single strings. I have to be careful because some gauges just don't sell. I don't want to be stuck with a lot of unpopular strings on the shelf.

I'm using the NYXL strings on my 10-string D6th now and I really like them. They have a very consistent, trouble-free tone. I've been playing outdoors once or twice a week and changing strings after about 6 weeks. The NYXLs still sound good when I change them. I've yet to hear one go bad, and I've had no breakage at all.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 10:43 pm     D'Addario NYXL String users: chime in

Best out there by a mile

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 12:03 am    

Thanks for stocking my low end NYXL's, b0b! You da man.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 2:54 pm    

Bob Snelgrove -- I did try the Live's but prefer the Jagwires over them.

Are the NYXL's Nickel wound or Stainless ?? I presume Nickel since that is Paul's usual preference ??
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 3:28 pm    

I tried them on Travis' recommendation. He was right. I really like them. They are nickel. I have been using stainless but I like the tone difference.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 5:45 am    

b0b wrote:
John McClung wrote:

I'm gradually getting NYXL singles in stock. I have the plain gauges. I'll get some of the wounds in my next order. I'll make it a point to include .042 and .054 for your extended E9th, John, and .070 too for the U-12 players.

It's a big investment to stock all of these single strings. I have to be careful because some gauges just don't sell. I don't want to be stuck with a lot of unpopular strings on the shelf.

I'm using the NYXL strings on my 10-string D6th now and I really like them. They have a very consistent, trouble-free tone. I've been playing outdoors once or twice a week and changing strings after about 6 weeks. The NYXLs still sound good when I change them. I've yet to hear one go bad, and I've had no breakage at all.

Do you have 12's in single?

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 5:47 am    

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
Don't know how they could be better than Live Steel strings but I haven't tried them

bob

I really liked them until I got a bad batch (one dozen) 12's

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 9:59 am    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
Do you have 12's in single?

Yes. www.steelguitarshopper.com/daddario-nyxl-012-plain

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 8:26 pm    

I now have a selection of NYXL nickel wound singles in stock. See www.steelguitarshopper.com/brands/D%27Addario.html?page=3&sort=featured. You can add a few of the lower gauges to an E9th set if you play 12 string Extended E9th or E9/B6.

I also included the gauges I'm using for D6th.

Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 10:21 am    

These are, without a doubt, the best strings I have ever used.

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 5:15 pm     Nyxl

Been playing a 12/38 set about a week now. Guitar is newer G2 and these things were like magic going on. Almost tuned themselves. Love the even tone as well as the stability. Jury is out on how long they'll last, but the honeymoon is on.

Last edited by Richard Lotspeich on 24 Nov 2017 4:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 9:55 pm     D'Addario NYXL String users: chime in

If you're lazy like me, count on 10mths or there abouts.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 9:23 am    

10 months is pretty outrageous. I rarely go more than 10 weeks, and that's in winter when gigs are scarce.

I have little doubt that these NYXL strings will last a year, technically, but I wouldn't let them. Temperature changes, humidity, and the buildup of hand oils will take their toll on any strings.

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 10:47 am    

Got a set on my Franklin and one on my Zum encore and it has been about 6 weeks and no broken strings and still sound great. I play every day at home and 5 hrs every Wed at a friends house and can't complain one bit.Got them from Bob too.Ron

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 12:10 pm    

In all honesty, it was a test to see how long they would go before breaking/degrading. They just kept on keeping on. I did eventually break a five but that was my fault (ruined the test). Undid 5 to get rid of a buzzy roller, then re-tightened, bang. But had I not done that I would agree Bob, 12mths probably

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 10:17 am    

I ordered some extra strings on Thursday and got them on Sat. CA to TN. Talk about fast service. Thanks bOb. Dale

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 12:16 pm    

Hi B0b...I'd like to try these..been with Cobra and Live steel for 20 years..for my 10 string Ext E9. 13, 15, 12, 14, 17, 20, 24w, 30, 38, 54..if you can put this together I'll buy 2 sets...Thanks, Larry Very Happy