The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George Jones Show 1983
Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 8:47 am    

I'm a big fan of George and this video is one of his best that I've seen. The steel player is prominently featured throughout the show and knocks it out of the park with his backup playing and breaks. I don't recognize the steel player but he certainly has "the touch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IE59CJH6ow

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 8:59 am    

Yeah, Jones at his best. I believe that is Tom Killeen on steel there.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 9:00 am    

Thats my Friend Tom Killen. Wonderful guy and wonderful player and played with Jones all those years. But last couple years before George passed....Tom played "Sho~Bud"; that I did up for him and all he plays now.
Here's a today pic of Tom>

Ricky

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 11:19 am    

Beautiful Sho-Bud Pro 11 you did up there Ricky. Did you do a refinish as well? Looks great. J.R.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 2:38 pm    

No refinish on the body; I just reconditioned the existing finish. I did a total restoration underneath; it looks brand new when I finished it like in 1998 and he says that's all he plays since then.
Ricky

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 2:56 pm    

What a great concert, great band and George at his best.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 3:27 pm    

Tom is one great guy to know. I grew up with him in southeast Missouri where we played in a couple different bands together. Funny thing, I was playing bass then. If memory serves me right Tom was playing a Sho-bud back in the mid 70's when we worked together. Tom's playing along with Larry Sasser were two of my main influence's that lead me to start playing steel.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 3:56 pm    

Yes Robert; it was this LDG Tom had that reminded him of getting back to Sho~bud; because he played an Emmons most all the George Jones years; and it was Lloyd Green that was his biggest influence and wanted that sound back and we found that Pro II...made the exact same year the LDG came out 1973.
Here's the LDG he had way back then.

And here's Tom's new ShoBud I did up for him I said earlier '98 but maybe it was more like early 2000. and you can see on the underneath pic...the tint is that emerald green; they only tented the underneath of all shobud's only in 1973....the birth of the emerald green LDG..

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 6 Nov 2017 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 4:03 pm    

Yep! That's it. I have a CD I recorded of Tom playing "I Can See Clearly Now" live in Poplar Bluff when we were playing with one of my class mates Bill Barnett. I believe this was around 78-79. I worked a show a couple years back with Darryl Singletary. I had the CD with me but Tom wasn't with him that night. I still have it. One of these days I'm gonna have some time off and get to Nashville and hit him up and give this to him. Tom sounded great even back then.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 4:17 pm    

OMG Robert; Tom would just soooo love to hear that. You will light up his eyes playing that CD for him. I think I remember him telling me; that he had a Shobud LDG way back in the 70's but there was not a lot of him on recordings with it. So he will LOVE to hear that.
Ricky

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 4:26 pm    

It was originally recorded on a cassette tape. I had it stored away for so many years. One day I pulled it out and decided I would put it to a CD. I am going to have to take a trip one day to Nashville and see him and Billy Yates. We all three grew up together. I did get to chat with him when I did that show with Singletary. It sure was good to talk to him that night. I don't think we had talked to each other before that or since. Shame on me. Thanks for sharing these photos with all of us, and thanks for causing all of these memories to flood back in this old mans brain. Very Happy

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 4:27 pm    

We did many shows and tours back in the 70s and 80s with George. I remember when Tom came on with George. Seems like that was '82 or '83. He had just started with George when I first met him at a show we did together at the Montgomery, AL Civic Center. He had a Franklin D-10 and soon after got the Emmons. Tom is one of the absolute nicest guys I've met. We did so many shows with George and The Jones Boys back then we all felt like family. It was always great to hear Tom, George and all the "Boys" and get to hang out with them. The Mervyn Kohnn trips to Europe were a blast..!!

That Pro II you did for Tom is awesome Ricky. I have a '69 D-10 Emmons Original (and a couple other Emmons) that I love but I wish I still had my old Pro II as well.

Hats off to Tom Killen..!! He's a dang good horse and a man of integrity for sure..!!

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 9:51 am    

Did Killen play on the studio version of Once You've Had The Best? I always thought that one sounded much different than most of Jones steel players and I always loved the tone of the guitar - which sounds similar to the version on this video.

Also, when did Jones and Sonny Curtis part ways?

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 11:31 pm    

I think that was Pete Drake on "Once You've Had The Best".

Kind Regards, Walter

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 12:27 am    

Thanks Walter. I always loved the tone of that guitar. That kinda surprises me a little as Pete Drake always had a very dry tone on all of that DAC stuff.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 7:36 am    

Pete was unique in the fact that he always seemed to know what tones and what licks fit an artist. I think he was really underrated.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 8:49 am    

Dang, that video should go down in the hall of fame as one of the best on YouTube. That was back when you could understand the words and actually hear the steel in the mix. What a great band and the Possum is right on. Thanks for posting, couldn't turn it of and watched the whole thing. Tom knocks it out of the ball park, great.

Looks like a session 500 amp.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Last edited by Henry Matthews on 11 Nov 2017 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 9:14 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Dang, that video should go down in the hall of fame as one of the best on YouTube. That was back when you could understand the words and actually hear the steel in the mix. What a great band and the Possum is right on. Thanks for posting, couldn't turn it of and watched the whole thing. Tom knocks it out of the ball park, great.

What steel is he playing here? Looks like a session 500 amp.

If the video was shot in the 80s, Tom is playing an Emmons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 10:22 am    

I just noticed something playing along with it. Most all the songs George does are in sharps and flats. I see he has a capo on his guitar and maybe band is playing in sharps and flats and not tuned down, I can't tell. Sorta looks like bass player is in G# on one song. I guarantee the fiddler is not playing in those keys because I watched him and he's playing some open strings. Wonder if he tuned down and maybe has two fiddles like I do when I play with these bands that like sharps and flats. One to play in odd keys and other to play in regular keys. Inquiring minds want to know, LOL.

By the way, C# is not a key, LOL

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Chuck Walker

Cody, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 10:31 am    

Here's another of my favorite George concerts....a live performance in Knoxville. Not sure of the date, but Tom was still playing his Emmons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B6FFN-GAig

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 10:35 am    

Neat, that's ah Franklin on first video.