The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Haggard Session Pickers Card
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 3:55 pm    

Saw this on FaceBook. Its a listing of the pickers on a Merle Haggard Nashville recording session, in 1977. Included Buddy Emmons.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 9:12 am    

Mr. Stoner - thanks for posting this time card! You can just see the card laying on the piano at Fireside.

There's a Ralph Emery interview with Hag where explains he called Hank Cochran to produce him. Hag says he liked the the people Hank hung around with: Grady Martin - Dave Kirby - Buddy Emmons and Red Lane. This card is a 2/25/77 2 o'clock session at Fireside. Signing the card are Dave Kirby: leader - Bob Moore: bass - Bunky Keels: piano - Dave Kirby: guitar - Buddy Harman: drums - Buddy Emmons: steel & dobro - H. R. DeLaughter (Red Lane): guitar - Arthur L. Killensh, Jr.: (unknown) - Grady Martin: guitar. They cut "Roses in Winter" and "Ain't No Good Chain Gang." Neither were released and were both cut later with a different crew and released separately on "Serving 100 Proof" and "Always on a Mountain When I Fall."

However - the session was not wasted. When they came back for the 6 they cut "Ramblin' Fever" with Grady playing one of the most legendary guitar solos in country music history. The previous day at a 6 they cut Chuck Howard's "Always on a Mountain When I Fall" - my favorite Haggard song. This song is worth studying not only for it's value as a song sung by the greatest country singer in history at the height of his powers - but also for everything else: the production - the mix - the awesome musicians. Listen for the slides Buddy Emmons plays pushing Hag into the chorus.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 10:41 am    

Robert, I never realised that there is Buddy Emmons or even a steel playing on "Mountain". Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpLUgQHmYwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpLUgQHmYw

Last edited by Joachim Kettner on 6 Nov 2017 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 10:47 am    

robert kramer wrote:

However - the session was not wasted. When they came back for the 6 they cut "Ramblin' Fever" with Grady playing one of the most legendary guitar solos in country music history. The previous day at a 6 they cut Chuck Howard's "Always on a Mountain When I Fall" - my favorite Haggard song. This song is worth studying not only for it's value as a song sung by the greatest country singer in history at the height of his powers - but also for everything else: the production - the mix - the awesome musicians. Listen for the slides Buddy Emmons plays pushing Hag into the chorus.

Thanks to both you guys for this contribution. "Always On A Mountain When I Fall" is also my favorite Haggard song. And I always thought it was Norm Hamlet with that haunting but just perfect feathering of the unison notes - I get chills every time I hear it. Here's a very rough take on the intro http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=312826&highlight=haggard

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 6:30 pm    

I just listened to Mountain with a great set of noise canceling headphones (while the wife watches The Voice hehe). It's a study in session musicianship. Buddy, and Johnny Gimble, play so little but just the right notes in the right places. There are at least two rhythm guitars playing off each other!!! Just fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 10:16 am    

Ditto on favorite Hag song. Recommend several listenings to pick up on all that is going on. A complex session made to sound simple by the pros playing on it.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 6:21 am    

We all seem to agree that this song is a marvel of performance and production. The harmonica is yet another perfect part of the mix: so who played it??? Arthur?