The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording software easiest to use any suggestions?
Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 8:25 am    

Reaper is a full featured DAW with an excellent manual (pdf with hyper-links to simplify finding the topic you need). There are sample files on line to be used with walk through tutorials included in the manual. Also you will find many YouTube tutorials for total newbies to advanced users. It is far more affordable than most others and offers great support.
60 day free trial
Purchase price 60.00 Personal - 225.00 Commercial
It is the cat's meow!

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 4:52 pm     Re: I suggest REAPER

Tim Kowalski wrote:
Reaper is a full featured DAW with an excellent manual (pdf with hyper-links to simplify finding the topic you need). There are sample files on line to be used with walk through tutorials included in the manual. Also you will find many YouTube tutorials for total newbies to advanced users. It is far more affordable than most others and offers great support.
60 day free trial
Purchase price 60.00 Personal - 225.00 Commercial
It is the cat's meow!

+1 for Reaper.

www.reaper.fm

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 2:20 am    

The question is, which is the easiest to use, not which is cheaper, which is near impossible to answer.

If we want to compare Websites ,Forums, Facebook Pages,YouTube video's and Tutorials , we will find that ALL major DAW's have these available. There are probably more Pro Tools "learning" methods available than any other.

Some folks will say, and have, that a program such as Pro Tools is too complicated and filled with stuff people don't need. Filled with Bells and Whistles.

HOGWASH.

Turn off the stuff you don't want to use. You can run a program like Pro Tools with 1 track , 1 input and 1 effect should you desire. Use one of the session templates , they range from really simple to more complex, based on the session requirements.

Bells and Whistles = Tools. You may never use 50% of them, but, when you need one, well...at this point they are no longer Bells and Whistles, they are Life Savers, also called Production Tools.

How many tools does a Carpenter bring to a job site when building a home ? Right, all he can. He may very well use a Skill Saw 90% of the time, but it's that other 10% that gets the job completed where the Skill Saw is the wrong tool.

My Steel guitar has 10 strings, 3 pedals and 5 knee levers, I mostly play with 2 pedals , maybe 8 strings and 2 levers, I guess I should just remove those other extra add-ons , evidently they are Bells and Whistles !

IF someone was close by, I could teach them to be in "session" with Pro Tools or Sonar in 30 minutes. Simple session of course. After system setup as well.

Whichever DAW we end up with, they ALL need a front end setup education. There is no such thing as a DAW where we buy it, load and and start recording right away.

The main learning issues with DAWS is not the DAW itself, but rather how our PC ( or MAC) is setup, how the interface is set up , how our signals get INTO the DAW, how our return audio signals are sent back to a listening device, phones or monitors. I haven't even touched on Preamps yet. We have to tell every DAW where the signals come from and what to do with them.

IF we visit the forums, we will learn that most users with issues, ANY DAW, did not read something about what they are doing or forgot something really simple.

One of my favorites is, "My Pro Tools 12 is full of bugs, it won't load" . Of course everyone on the planet has the exact same Pro Tools 12 ,they didn't make a new version for one person. Then someone points them in the right direction and you never hear back from them again.

Each DAW Co. has a set of instructions which must be followed for proper setup and operation. We can either follow the instructions or go on some forum and complain.

By the way, Reaper is indeed a nice program, it's not any simpler to use than any other, but it is nice. It can do the job nicely. But you still gotta learn how to use it.

Define simple ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 7:43 am    

Simple to me means that anyone with average intelligence and a basic working knowledge of recording and computers, can take a DAW and record something with out even looking at directions of any kind. I was able to do that with Studio One Pro and access most of the features. I tried Reaper and wasn't able to do that. In fact, I never found the effects on Reaper. Way to many things have to be set right for it to even record and terminology is different so really couldn't figure it out without reading up on it.

I have never tried Pro Tools or any other DAW's. I do use Audacity for recording directly from the internet or a CD or stick drive and find it to be simple to operate. Just select source, set level and hit record button, now that's simple.

If a person Doesn't have basic knowledge of recording and computer, then none are going to be simple. Just my take on the thread.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 9:52 am    

Good points, Tony. All DAW's do require an understanding of routing and input selection. That can be the most difficult part of the learning curve. I would agree that none are just plain simple.
I don't think that Reaper is necessarily easier to use than others, but there is no investment required to get your feet wet.
It took some serious adjustment to move away from my trusty Fostex HD recorder, but now I could never go back.
As you say, I doubt that I use anywhere close to 50% of the tools after three years of recording.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 11:19 am    

I also found Reaper not user friendly. Presonus Studio One has a free introductory version available for download. You can search youtube and see where a lot of people are explaining their reasons for leaving other DAWS and going to Studio One.

https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-3-Prime

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 12:32 am    

I have viewed Studio One video's and indeed it looks very good, it uses different terminology than Pro Tools but at the end of the day they are very similar. If the world order came and confiscated my Pro Tools systems I could easily use Studio One ! Very Happy

One of the things I have come to learn over the last year or so in this very competitive DAW war is that Brand A will say that Pro Tools for example, doesn't do FOLDER Merging. While it is true that Pro Tools doesn't do Folder Merging but it's not because it's a missing operation, it's because Pro Tools names them GROUPS ! In many cases it's a war on words rather the actual operation , but if we are not experienced we will think that Brand A does something that Brand B does not do. And that is incorrect and misleading.

Now, it's no secret that I am a Pro Tools user and have been for almost 10 years, but I don't claim it's the best or that everyone should use it, but I will say that if any other DAW brand claims that they are doing something that Pro Tools or any other MAJOR DAW can't do, it's most certainly not true and may be based on a war of words or definitions. Then we read all sorts of stuff by users of Brand X saying it's best over those other expensive brands because it can do X,Y and X which those other brands cannot do. Really ?

Like I said above, Brand A claims Pro Tools can't merge Folders, well of course not, they call Folders "GROUPS" They don't even use the term Folders anywhere. Maybe thats why Pro Tools doesn't merge Folders.

I seriously doubt that any newer era DAW has come up with a new process that has not been used or is NOT being used by every other major DAW. The only thing left is, Brand A is easier than Brand B.

What the DAW company's are trying to improve on is Work Flow, linking all of those production elements into a clear process , which of course, is now based on the users skill set and ability to understand whats in front of them. Some will understand the process right away, some will understand it after a while and some will never understand it.That last group is where the marketing is aimed. Easy to use .

It's kinda like typing on our keyboards. We have all been doing it for years now , participating on forums, emails, messaging etc. Some of us can actually type and some of us will never figure it out ! Funny though, we don't blame the keyboard , we know it's us. In the DAW world , we blame the DAW. ! Laughing

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 5:48 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
I have viewed Studio One video's and indeed it looks very good, it uses different terminology than Pro Tools but at the end of the day they are very similar. If the world order came and confiscated my Pro Tools systems I could easily use Studio One ! Very Happy

What the DAW company's are trying to improve on is Work Flow, linking all of those production elements into a clear process , which of course, is now based on the users skill set and ability to understand whats in front of them. Some will understand the process right away, some will understand it after a while and some will never understand it.That last group is where the marketing is aimed. Easy to use .

It's kinda like typing on our keyboards. We have all been doing it for years now , participating on forums, emails, messaging etc. Some of us can actually type and some of us will never figure it out ! Funny though, we don't blame the keyboard , we know it's us. In the DAW world , we blame the DAW. ! Laughing

Hard to argue with you Tony so I won’t 😜

I moved from GarageBand (Not a heavyweight DAW, but I’ve heard and did my 1st 3+ fairly respectable recordings with it), but ended up with Studio One Artist as it was included with a PreSonus interface I had bought. As soon as I loaded it I immediately liked the look and shortly after upgraded to the Professional version.

I can’t begin to tell you how many video’s I watched trying to educate myself on a process I had little reference point for. But the more I learned the more I liked.

I kept hearing the word “Workflow” on videos from folks that had moved from years of ProTools use to Studio One because of what they felt was IMPROVED Workflow. Again, not trying to argue and have NIX/Nadda/NO experience with ProTools or most of the other DAW’s out there, but after learning my way around Studio One a little, am overall pleased with the Workflow. That said, I don’t record that much, or have that much to mix, and what I do mix isn’t very complicated, so Workflow probably isn’t going to be a very big deal to me.

I think the important thing is this; CAN you make a respectable sounding recording with the DAW you’re using? And from the recordings I’ve heard from Tony and Mark Tulbert, they know their way around ProTools and get great results. My friend David Mitchel, who by the way has been a HUGE help to me, as far as the whole process of recording and getting a good sound from it. Anyhow, David uses a program called Nuendo 2.0. I believe there are now 9 plus versions of Nuendo, but David has never seen the need to spend the money for the upgrades. If any of you have heard some of Davids recordings, you can hear what a MASTER he is at getting a great Radio Ready Mix.

So I guess it’s REALLY about learning and getting comfortable with WHATEVER DAW seems to fit your eye, and perhaps the way you like to do things, as far as Workflow. Should a guy who’s been using ProTools or Studio One or Nuendo for a Bazillion or less Laughing years switch to something else?... Hey if you dissatisfied with it and what you’re getting out of it, by all means. If you are satisfied with what you have and it fits what you do, WHATS the Point.

I’ve watched videos of guys who are well versed in half a dozen different DAW’s. (Do you REALLY want to invest that much time in learning a bunch of DAW’s?) Frankly I don’t spend ENOUGH time trying to get better at steel, so that whatever DAW I choose to use, sounds better than had I done it on cassette Laughing Laughing Laughing
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 4:29 am    

excellent words Dale !

Workflow equates to ... what is the best way to drive to work in the morning or get to the airport ?

Workflow is the logical path to the end result, this is what all the DAW company's argue, they have the best logical path.

Of course as soon as someone says " This makes no sense to me" , they change brands to another one that claims "easier to use than the other one you have ".

Last edited by Tony Prior on 27 Nov 2017 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 10:07 am    

Im still using my old adobe Audition 3.0. It is still a great program and does most everything that I want to do.

There was a learning curve for that to. But I enjoyed learning about the software and capabilities.

Without digging into what all of the software does is kind of like playing only 3 chords in a song.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 3:42 am    

Greg Lambert wrote:

Without digging into what all of the software does is kind of like playing only 3 chords in a song.

Excellent analogy Greg.

C - F - G

C -F- G/G9

C-C9-F-F9-G- G9

C13- F9- G9

and all of the unlimited variables to C, F and G which are not to be assumed as extra added bells and whistles but rather a nice feature set that should be explored, not to make the playing better, but to make the final music SOUND better. They are all equal in that respect. The main issue with DAWS or even a Workstation is not the product but rather our inability to use whats in front of us.It's an education, just like 3 Pedals and 5 Knee levers or a D10 with a C6th neck that we don't ever play but still carry it around where ever we go ! Very Happy

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 4:29 am    

I have to agree with Tony Prior. I have been using DAW's since Logic first emerged and then morphed into Emagic. I bought Pro Tools 11 about 4 years ago along with a Digidesign controller desk. I found Pro Tools to be extremely intuitive. Within half an hour of connecting my desk and Presonus interfaces I was recording. I went over to Pro Tools because it is the industry standard in the majority of studios in the USA and other countries, so doing sessions via file transfer is a doddle.

The only issue that I've had with Pro Tools was the unexpected need to download iLok Manager (free of charge) when I switched my Pro Tools on one morning recently. I run PT on a PC, and my computer was custom built here in the UK by a company who build the Pro Tools PC specifically for running Pro Tools. Very quick and powerful, it is an incredible machine.

Front view

Rear view

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 6:19 pm    

Man I know the feeling!
Bought Sonar X2 Producer for $500 and having no prior recording experience couldn't learn the learning curve.
I looked around and got Mixcraft 6 Pro for like $49 on sale.
I recorded my current CD on this software.
Here's a sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFuZSg7aNSk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveL1PKAZm0

I think now they are up to 7 Pro or something but it's really cheap.
Bottom line is no matter what a lot of these guys use for software it's only as good as your ear.

I use the Mixcraft with a Steinberg UR-44 Interface that has on board DSP effects so it's not adding an additional load on a PC that's not the fastest.
This is pretty much plug and play and here and there check out the free Youtube tutorials and for more help Acoustica will email you back within 24 hours with an answer. (From the UK I think)
Hope this helps.
WC Edgar
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 4:26 pm     Record On What Ya Have

The nice thing about most recording software is you do not need to upgrade. If you like what you record on and does all what you need then stay with what you got. Some people find certain software easy and the guys next to him finds it hard. It is all up to the end user on how much savy the end user has. They may excel in one and bomb out in another. Guys like you and me do not need the latest software if what ya got works real well. I think we spend to much time chasing how easy we want it instead of learning what we have easy or not, just play and record and have fun. Some times if we have to work a bit harder to learn something it seems we appreciate more what we have just learned. Just my two cents..Have fun gentleman..
Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 5:00 pm    

A question I have never seen answered or asked for that matter is whether or not the specific recording program has any effect on the sound that actually ends up on the disk drive?

Something else I don't know is how much the drivers for a devise effect the sound that ends up on the hard drive?

The easiest program I have ever used is Mixcraft 4. I use it but I only use live instruments. It is so easy to use that I have never looked for a better program. Mixcraft has many later versions but I haven't found one yet that offers an improvement on features I use.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 2:04 am    

James, good question. I think overall if there is a difference in audio it is negligible, probably not even worth talking about.

Drivers, no, all they do is allow a plug-in to function and communicate with the PC, MAC and DAW.

That being said, not all DAW's are equal with respect to the processors and effects which are embedded. Some are known to be better than others and more flexible. Maybe easier in use.

Pro Tools for example, comes with an array of EQ's, simple to I believe 7 band . If someone is skilled enough to use a 7 band EQ they will certainly tell you that they can achieve an improved final audio product.

the final audio sound is really up to the user , even in the most simple scenario. regardless of any DAW being used. it's called EARS !

Final thought,I believe all DAWs, maybe most, offer 16 bit or 24 bit recording. Purists will always record in the 24 bit mode as it provides better headroom across the entire session . Home hobbyists may be quite satisfied with 16 bit sessions as they use less hard drive space.

pick your poison

Personally I can't tell the difference in audio quality of 16 vs 24, but my sessions are generally maxed out at near 10 tracks, which is considered very small.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:39 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
James, good question. I think overall if there is a difference in audio it is negligible, probably not even worth talking about.

Drivers, no, all they do is allow a plug-in to function and communicate with the PC, MAC and DAW.

That being said, not all DAW's are equal with respect to the processors and effects which are embedded. Some are known to be better than others and more flexible. Maybe easier in use.

Pro Tools for example, comes with an array of EQ's, simple to I believe 7 band . If someone is skilled enough to use a 7 band EQ they will certainly tell you that they can achieve an improved final audio product.

the final audio sound is really up to the user , even in the most simple scenario. regardless of any DAW being used. it's called EARS !

Final thought,I believe all DAWs, maybe most, offer 16 bit or 24 bit recording. Purists will always record in the 24 bit mode as it provides better headroom across the entire session . Home hobbyists may be quite satisfied with 16 bit sessions as they use less hard drive space.

pick your poison

Personally I can't tell the difference in audio quality of 16 vs 24, but my sessions are generally maxed out at near 10 tracks, which is considered very small.

I always appreciate your thoughtful replies. I am always looking for for programs that do simple things well. The most important thing is getting the sound from an instrument to the hard disk. So far Mixcraft has accomplished just that. Studios used to use nothing but 44/16. I have gotten over the need to do everything in 24 bit 48.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 5:39 am    

Since the demise of Cakewalk Sonar, it seems many (including myself) are transitioning to Studio One 3 Pro.

I had the "lite" version of Studio One 3 so I was sort of familiar with it and when it was announced that Gibson had shut down Sonar it was an easy decision. I have the latest Sonar Platinum and it still does everything I need to do and as long as some Windows update doesn't "break it" it will continue to do what I need. But, to be on the safe side as I do some paid recording, I got a Groove 3 tutorial and learning (at a leisurely pace) Studio One 3. Studio One 3 has updated to include an option to use Sonar hot keys and ex Sonar "guru" Craig Anderton is now writing how to articles for Studio One 3.

Pierre Belliveau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:45 pm    

I have Pro tool , Logic , iv’e used cubase and sonar .. but Studio One Pro is my main Daw .. #1

Pierre Belliveau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 4:01 pm    

I have Pro tool , Logic , iv’e used cubase and sonar .. but Studio One Pro is my main Daw .. #1

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 9:47 pm    

I use Logic Pro X. I have Pro Tools, as well. But I like Logic Pro X.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 3:46 am    

I wonder what would happen if we asked 50 guitar players to play the same Telecaster, one at a time and told them all to play Workin Man Blues.

Of course we probably would have 50 versions , a few would probably be pretty close while many would not be close at all .

Would we blame the Telecaster ? Question

I know I would Laughing

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 5:45 am    

Quote:
A question I have never seen answered or asked for that matter is whether or not the specific recording program has any effect on the sound that actually ends up on the disk drive?

Should we open the 'audio converter' can of worms on this thread??? nah... Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 12:35 pm    

[quote="Bill Terry"]
Quote:

Should we open the 'audio converter' can of worms on this thread??? nah... Smile

Well now that you brought it up ! Laughing