The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trend Micro/ MBAM compatibility?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 11:55 am    

In the last couple of days I've been getting a message from Trend Micro Maximum Security saying "Incompatible Software Found" and that I must remove MBAM (Premium). Till now I've been running both side by side, having been told they were compatible.

What's up here?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 3:07 pm    

Looky here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/212868-trend-micro-wants-me-to-uninstall-malwarebytes/?tab=comments#comment-1173505

It asks you to make an exception for Malwarebytes within Trend Micro.

I have no idea why that should the case now if it has not always been the case. I use Malwarebytes, but not Trend.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 3:48 pm     Re: Trend Micro/ MBAM compatibility?

Brint Hannay wrote:
In the last couple of days I've been getting a message from Trend Micro Maximum Security saying "Incompatible Software Found" and that I must remove MBAM (Premium). Till now I've been running both side by side, having been told they were compatible.

What's up here?

I am a long time user of both Malwarebytes' and Trend Micro security. Trend has always insisted that one uninstalls any competing security solution before it will install. This is done to reduce infighting between anti-virus/malware/spyware programs.

What many people have learned is that it is a simple matter to let Trend uninstall the competitor, install itself, reboot the PC, then reinstall the other programs. Your registration and data files are usually left alone during the forced uninstall. Trend will not complain about them unless you upgrade to a newer version, or sub-version. Then you have to repeat the process.

You may not know it but anti-virus/anti-malware is a dog eat dog business.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 3:53 pm    

A thought. If MBAM and TMIS have been coexisting until now, and you haven't received a program version update to Trend, it is new behavior to protest about Malwarebytes. This could be fallout of disagreements between the companies. One reason could be that the renamed Malwarebytes 3 is now claiming to be an all in one anti-virus solution. That is a relatively new development.

I have not seen this problem between Trend Micro Antivirus+ 2018 beta and Malwarebytes 3.x.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:11 am    

I dutifully removed MBAM and now after several prompts to restart the computer to update TM the TM icon has disappeared from my desktop and only TM Password Manager appears in my list of Apps. (Windows 8.1)

I have no reason to believe I'm protected at all, with no way to open a TM console. WTF?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:43 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
I dutifully removed MBAM and now after several prompts to restart the computer to update TM the TM icon has disappeared from my desktop and only TM Password Manager appears in my list of Apps. (Windows 8.1)

I have no reason to believe I'm protected at all, with no way to open a TM console. WTF?

See if you can uninstall TMIS, leaving any created files in place. Then reboot. Go to Trendmicro.com and download the same version, or whatever is available that is the same model. Install, reboot, verify functionality, then reinstall Malwarebytes.

If you can't uninstall TMIS, do a system restore to the nearest previous date.