The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sitar sound.
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 5:01 am    

I have a Gretsch resonator and just lately it has developed an annoying whine on the second string. I have filed down the nut on that one string but to no avail. This unit has a Nashville pickup , so if the problem is at the bridge what does one do? I have changed that string 3 times now and still the sitar noise is there.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 5:30 am     Re: Sitar sound.

Paul DiMaggio wrote:
so if the problem is at the bridge what does one do?

Personally I would start learning Raag Yaman Kalyan, similar to the Lydian mode, as it is a good first raag to learn when studying Indian classical music...kidding kidding, I am a sitarist and couldn't resist...

Can you identify where the buzzing is coming from? Is it fret rattle, or coming from the bridge? If from the nut, my assumption is you'd only hear it on open notes, not when fretted/barred...

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 5:57 am    

Just slightly on open notes but quite pronounced under the bar. I just now retuned to the D over G tuning and tuned to A instead of B it isn't as obvious. I checked for loose everything , found nothing. I put a piece of cardboard between the string and the tailpiece , made no difference. Since it is only one string it has to be the bridge or the nut, doesn't it??

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 7:23 am    

Could the buzzing string be lower than the rest so it's buzzing against the bar? If you push down harder, or fret it with the nose of the bar, does it go away.

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 9:04 am    

When I play it as a single string is when it's the worst.

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 9:50 am    

I rolled up a piece of cardboard and put it under that string behind the bridge. Then I pushed it back towards the tailpiece and the noise stopped. So, I am assuming that the strings over time have worn the break over angle down. My guess would be that now would be the time to change the inserts on a non amplified dobro. What are my options? Not including buying a new Fishman Nashville pickup.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 8:50 pm    

If you haven't tried it already, you could put a small piece of folded Card-stock or similar between the String and the Bridge Insert and see what you can do with that.

HTH. Good Luck with your Problem. Have a Good One! Cool

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 6:11 pm    

I have a piece of cardboard under that string and it worked well thru the little gig I had this afternoon but it looks a little welfare. I was thinking something like JB weld , which I have used successfully on several metal nuts in the past. What is the top ( saddle?)of those pickups made of? It is an older model with the metal strip under the black saddle.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 6:52 pm    

The saddle needs to be re-cut (FWIW I do resonator and other guitar setups)..

The best shape is a triangular one with the slant only at the back. The front of the saddle should be vertical and the string slots must be very small - just enough to keep the string from popping out, but not a wide enough slot where they can vibrate against the sides.

A "U" or flat-bottomed "U"shape will usually be a problem - it should be a fairly pronounced "V" with only two very small contact points. And the idea behind the triangular shape is to again limit the area of string contact - the more contact there is at the saddle the higher the chance of a buzz - and larger contact areas also kill tone and sustain.

With a wood saddle area almost can't be TOO sharp. If string breakage happens with a wood saddle it usually results from old (or incorrectly-gaged) strings or improper pick attack. It's very unusual for even an ebony saddle that's cut with a very small contact point to cause breakage.

The other thing that sometimes causes what seems like string buzz is a bad setup - if one string sits lower than the others it can take heavy bar pressure to keep it from buzzing. A correct setup facilitates fairly light bar pressure, where all the strings are at the same top height.

Many guitar techs do this wrong, setting up resonators (and other slide instruments) the same way they do 6-strings, where fret contact needs to be relatively equal. this doesn't work well for slide playing.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional