Author Topic:  RIP Fats Domino
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 7:05 am    

Another rock and roll pioneer is gone.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 7:12 am    

This one hurts. I learned all about music, especially rhythm, from listening to my parents' Fats Domino 45s. When I was in my 20s, I went headfirst into the music of New Orleans, and Fats and Dave Bartholomew were such important contributors to American music.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 7:48 am    

Sad. RIP Fats Domino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Burwvehec

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 8:11 am    

I woke up and saw on the news feed on my phone that Fats passed away. He was a Legend in New Orleans Music. I am saddened by his passing.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 10:04 am    

It wasn't until I saw a documentary about his life and music that I understood what a giant in American music he was and how incredibly popular and influential. He's on Blueberry Hill now for good.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 2:45 pm    

Traditional

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 3:04 pm    

A truly sad day in American music...

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 7:46 pm    

Godspeed Antoine!

Major influence on the planet.

The REAL king of rock and roll.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 11:57 pm    

Sad news indeed. He was truly a pioneer.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 4:24 am    

He was bigger than I thought, and more of an influence on individual musicians than recognized, until perhaps now.
Yeah, Blueberry Hill forever. Sweet man.

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 4:29 am    

An American Icon. A man that stayed true to his roots. A sharp dresser, an impeccable smile and a rhythm that wouldn't quit. I only got to see him live once but what a show. He was an entertainers entertainer. His music will live on. RIP Brother

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 5:03 am    

The Round Mound of Sound,,,,what an original,,,what an influence!!!! RIP,,,,

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 7:50 am    

I still have every 45 he ever recorded. All neatly packed in an old foot locker with many other 50's artist. Who didn't like Fats?....

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 11:43 am    

Richard Williams formerly writer for Melody Maker wrote abaout him in 1973 concert review:

Quote:
When I was ushered into his room in the Churchill Hotel by the personal valet who had worked for him for more than 20 years, Fats Domino was wearing his off-duty outfit: a brown knitted suit and a hair-net. On stage at the Hammersmith Odeon a couple of nights later, the look was very different: white jacket, shoes and socks, pink tie and trousers, diamonds covering his fingers, his belt buckle, his tie clip, his watch. Here was the man whose record sales in the 1950s were second only to Elvis Presley.

This was April 1973, and he was a couple of weeks away from his 44th birthday. In person, giving an interview to the reporter from the Melody Maker, he was pleasant, if a little guarded. He dutifully ran through his history for me, the stuff that's been in all the obituaries over the past couple of days, telling me about falling in love with the piano as a child, copying the great boogie-woogie pianists (he mentioned Meade Lux Lewis, Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons), how Lew Chudd had signed him to Imperial, and how when Imperial was bought by Liberty he had left and made deals first with ABC Paramount, then with Mercury and Reprise. When we spoke, he was without a recording contract.

His stage show was magnificent. Here's what I wrote, comparing his concert performance with those of other rock and roll pioneers in middle age: "Unlike Chuck, he wasn't cynical or saddled with a poor backing band; unlike Jerry Lee, he didn't want to sing country ballads; unlike Little Richard, he wasn't carried away with his own divinity. He was, quite simply, Fats Domino. He sang almost nothing that wasn't a million-seller, or close to it, and he sang them exactly as he'd laid them down on the original recordings."

He'd brought a fine band from New Orleans: the ripe-toned saxophone section of Fred Shepherd (alto), Walter Kimball, Maurice Simon and Fred Kemp (tenors) and Roger Lewis (baritone), plus the great Roy Montrell on guitar, David Douglas on bass and Walter Lastie -- a member of one of those Crescent City musical dynasties -- on drums. The songs they performed included "I'm Walkin'", "Blue Monday", "Let the Four Winds Blow", "I'm in Love Again", "I'm Gonna Be a Wheel Some Day", "I Want to Walk You Home", "Hello Josephine", "Ain't It a Shame", and "So Long", plus "The Saints", "Stag-o-lee", "Shake, Rattle and Roll" and Professor Longhair's "Goin' to the Mardi Gras", all in 45 minutes. Apart from the general impression of good humour and good times, I can recall Lastie's brisk double-shuffle on "I'm Walkin'" and an excellent gravel-toned baritone solo on "Blue Monday".

It was only Domino's third visit to the UK. He'd been here as part of a package tour in 1962, and had returned in 1967 for one of Brian Epstein's concerts at the Savile Theatre. Given that the Beatles loved and revered his music, it's a pity they didn't sign him to Apple and help him make some more good records.

I mentioned to him that Dave Bartholomew, the trumpeter and bandleader who had been the co-writer and musical director on his early hits, had told me a year or so earlier that, when they went into the studio back in the early '50s, they were attempting to make the first fusion of Dixieland jazz and R&B. Fats didn't entirely agree. "We was just doing what we wanted," he said. "That's all -- there weren't no more to it than that." Enough, however, to help change the world.

Terry Barnett

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 4:40 am    

Really a profound loss.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 3:42 am    

What a great moment to be in the honor of a mass turn out of fans from all over the world for my mentor Mr.Fats Domino. His family was so kind to me & ABC 8 News who interview me at this walking through News Orleans Caffin Avenue in the lower 9th ward. RIP Mr.Domino.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 5:58 am    

Thank you Fox News ABC 8 in New Orleans,Louisiana for being there for Fats & his Family. His (Fats Domino)Pink House will become his MUSEUM and I am very proud of that.RIP; my mentor Mr.Domino & you too Ms. Rose. Love Sailor Boy. Winking

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 5:27 pm    

Bob Porter on W-BGO Newark Jazz station on his Saturday morning show did a great Fats Tribute. They archive all the shows so, check it out if you can at WBGO.org

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days