John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 3:28 pm    

Thank you Brian ! 👍😉 Phew !

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 5:01 am    

Pookie Anselmi wrote:
Thanks Karl. Here's a question. What other options are available for the Encore besides a 4th pedal, color, pickups and arm pad?

Are different position markers available? anything else? I didn't want to contact Doug for these questions, I know he's busy.

I told Doug what I wanted, I'm sure he'll contact me when he's ready to build mine.
Thanks

Sorry about the late reply. I think you've named everything except for the option for tall folks to have a lift kit.

No marker options as far as I know.

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 3:42 am    

Thanks Karl, just checking to make sure.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 1:23 pm    

I second what Karl said with a slight addition. Regarding color, I also asked Doug to use red pin striping on the black front as opposed to a whitish silver pin striping. So certain custom color pin striping is perhaps a possibility if Doug has the particular color pin striping.

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 3:30 am    

Thanks Karl. I chose blue formica with silver pinstripes.
Also, how do you like the stage one volume pedal?

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 9:47 am    

Pookie Anselmi wrote:
Thanks Karl. I chose blue formica with silver pinstripes.
Also, how do you like the stage one volume pedal?

I’m not Karl, I’m Brian... however, I do have the Stage One volume pedal and I really like it.

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 10:12 am    

Sorry about that Brian. I was thinking about calling Doug and order a pedal.

Thanks

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 2:54 pm    

I don’t think Doug is taking any more new orders right now. I think he is trying to catch up on all the previous orders first. There is a very strong demand for the Encore and I can see why. I am very pleased with mine. The Encore has so much to offer in a very light but amazing sounding pedal steel.

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 3:29 am    

I got my name on his list since April for an Encore. He emailed me saying it would be around Dec.-January for delivery.
I have an Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal that I find a little noisy. Might get one of Doug's pedals.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 9:06 am    

I have also been very satisfied with Doug’s volume pedal. It is definitely NOT squeeky like your Ernie Ball. Also unlike the Ernie Ball, Doug’s pedal has a very nice low profile... so your foot does not need to make large aft to forward movemrnts to go from silent to max volume. It is also a great deal at only $100.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 6:47 am     ZUM Encore

Hi folks,
I have had this guitar- ZUM ENCORE- for a few years now and it still gives me a great deal of pleasure and much entertainment too.

However, I am still learning to handle this lovely instrument while my aged hands move a little more stiffly than they used to.

Best wishes to all and especially to Encore players.

JAMES TAYLOR

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 6:48 am     ZUM Encore

Hi folks,
I have had this guitar- ZUM ENCORE- for a few years now and it still gives me a great deal of pleasure and much entertainment too.

However, I am still learning to handle this lovely instrument while my aged hands move a little more stiffly than they used to.

Best wishes to all and especially to Encore players.

JAMES TAYLOR

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 9:56 pm    

James, I've had mine for a little more than six years now and it plays as good as it did when I first bought it! I've even toyed with the idea of ordering another one someday, perhaps with 4 floor pedals. This post helped convince me to buy one. Thanks for keeping it going, its a good showcase for a great pedal steel! Smile

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 12:06 am    

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your input and likewise I totally agree with you. I live In the North of Scotland and it is quite remote from the world of real music.

I understand that there are many good guitars out there probably equally as good but this was the one for me because of everything I read about it and the great advisory groups of professionals out there plus the cost which I found was amazing for a professional pedal steel.

However, this is one of the best investments I have made and I love it and how it expresses emotion is amazing. It has: Superb tone; so light to move around, therefore easily managed; keeps tuning excellently; looks good and still sparkles; a real bargain and I would advise this instrument to anyone seeking a lightweight pro guitar.

I am not a good player but talking to so many on this Forum has given me a zest for life.

Best Wishes from an elderly
Picture 1960

JAMES TAYLOR

Last edited by James Taylor on 13 May 2019 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 12:08 am    

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your input and likewise I totally agree with you. I live In the North of Scotland and it is quite remote from the world of real music.

I understand that there are many good guitars out there probably equally as good but this was the one for me because of everything I read about it and the great advisory groups of professionals out there plus the cost which I found was amazing for a professional pedal steel.

However, this is one of the best investments I have made and I love it and how it expresses emotion is amazing. It has: Superb tone; so light to move around, therefore easily managed; keeps tuning excellently; looks good and still sparkles; a real bargain and I would advise this instrument to anyone seeking a lightweight pro guitar.

I am not a good player but talking to so many on this Forum has given me a zest for life.

Best Wishes from an elderly
Picture 1960

JAMES TAYLOR

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 1:49 pm    

James, I started on a Sho Bud Professional in 1974. I played it for years, lots of road work in clubs all over the place and lots of American Legions and other private clubs. A good friend of mine lent me a student model MSA Red Baron that I also played out, especially when I had to play both guitar and steel. I played that little MSA on Broadway in Nashville for quite sometime, occasionally bringing my Sho Bud too. I picked up a P/P Emmons in around 15 years ago and I played it a lot until I bought the Zum Encore. I started using the Encore when there wasn't much stage room or I knew I wasn't going to play C6. I recently picked up a very cool older D10 Zum Steel with 8/8 and I play it out a lot too, but when its a small stage I always play the Encore and it plays and sounds as good as any pedal steel I have in its own way. It is really fun to play. Playing pedal steel is truly a joy in my life and I'm glad that you joined the club and are enjoying yourself when you play, that's what its all about. Smile

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 1:57 pm    

Agree with you Bob.As good as anything out there. My encore is the only prototype with solid end plates and there is absolutely no degradation of tone or sustain. A beautiful instrument.Bruce and Doug got it right.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 11:57 pm    

Hi Bob & Greig, Thank you both for the input and I agree with you both.

Well that little piece of personal history is very interesting Bob and it seems you have had some great times out there and an experienced player too and it is interesting to learn that this Zum Encore is as good as the rest of the pro steels.

Well my life is not as interesting. I started out with the harmonica when around seven as my uncle was an excellent player and had recently returned from the USA with serious health problems. After his tutoring I moved to the bagpipes because many Gordon Highlander pipers had recently returned from WW11 and therefore the sound of piping was everywhere.

Then, when rock sewpt the USA I got a loan of an old guitar and was so proud it. Two years later I went for guitar lessons thinging I was already a little star!!

However, my tuitor had been drafted up north, from Croyden near london, during WW11 with the RAF and married locally. He unknown to me was Britain's no two Jazz guitarist and his friend was Len Williams, whoes son is John Williams of international fame. I was very quickly put in place and I was so embarrased to learn my two years taught me nothng. Whatever, Pat was an extremely nice understanding person and I liked him a lot.

Therefore, I studied Eddie Lang volume one and part of section two and was auestruck with what a guitar could do. Unfortunately, with much playing I developed never problems in my left hand and that finished the guitar and although I can play it a little it is nothing like what I was origonally trained to do. After years I bought a Sho bud but I struggled with it and so sold it.

Years later My wife so a Fender 400 in the local paper for sale and so I bought it and put in a determined effort to play it.

THANKS to BOB WITH THIS FORUM and TO EVERYONE on IT PROFESSIONALS AND BEGINNERS TOO I MADE IT NOT A GOOD PLAYER AND NEVER WILL BE AT MY TIME OF LIFE BUT TO ERV AND HIS MUSIC AND THIS JEM OF A PEDAL STEEL IT HAS BROUGHT ME MANY REWARDING MOMENTS. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR EXCELLANT HELP AND I WILL BE ON HERE TILL I AM FINALLY SILENCED BLESS EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR ALL THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED. I'll post my old fender as I have not yet taken a picture of my ZUM shame on me!!!

JAMES TAYLOR

Michael Sheehan

Everett, Washington, USA - Heading back to Florida 2021
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 7:50 am     My New Encore - Coming July 2019

Had an email conversation with Doug Earnest and I'm going to join the family of Encore owners around late July!

I'm super excited as this is my first pedal steel guitar. I've been plunking around on a six string 1950s Fender C6 and can't wait to get my paws on this one! Smile

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 10:07 am    

Hi Michael,
Good choice and you will never regret it as I still love this machine and if you need tuition have a look at ERV's music as it is so very simple and sounds great.

Best wishes

James Taylor

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 10:08 am    

Hi Michael,
Good choice and you will never regret it as I still love this machine and if you need tuition have a look at ERV's music as it is so very simple and sounds great.

Best wishes

James Taylor

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 13 May 2019 11:04 am    

Thanks! Can’t wait 😊👍

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 12:35 pm    

Every best wish and success.

James Taylor
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 3:31 pm     Re: My New Encore - Coming July 2019

Michael Sheehan wrote:
Had an email conversation with Doug Earnest and I'm going to join the family of Encore owners around late July!

Congratulations! One more Satisfied Encore owner here assuring you that a great instrument on the way.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 13 May 2019 4:06 pm    

Thank you, thank you!