The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen discovery reviews?
Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:40 pm    

Any have a review or comments on the Mullen discovery?

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:06 pm    

Kevin, I've had a Discovery since March and am very happy with the playability and sound. This guitar sounds and feels like a couple of other Mullens I've tried, one being a G2 and the other a Royal Precision. I'm still in the beginning stage, but have heard a good many instruments and with Mullen, the quality goes in before the name goes on--imho.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 6:07 pm     Mullen Discovery

I own one. 3+5. Great guitar with a pro sound. The under carriage is all pro. You won't go wrong.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 10:36 pm    

Kevin,I'm pretty sure you can now get a discovery with splits!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 6:01 am    

Kevin

Take a look under the "New Products Announcements" topic. Scroll down to the posting "my new discovery".
Picture and great comments.

Douglas Kinney

Muldrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 6:07 am     Mullens Discovery

Kevin,
I have had my Mullens Discovery about two months, It has the splits on it. I really like it.

"Those that can, play steel, those who can't... listen."
Mullen Discovery S10, Peavey Nashville 112, Ernie Ball Jr Volume Pedal
K5DPK Amateur Radio Operator Extra Class

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 8:48 am    

I had a Discovery, it was a great little guitar. Everything about it was pro, no shortcuts that I could see. Only reason I sold it was because I missed having the C6 neck.

Hmmm, maybe a D10 Discovery!?

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 10:30 am    

I need to try one of these. There is a Mullen dealer near me. I want a single neck. I play an old blue lacquered 74 MSA D10 I would like to leave it at home. The one thing I love about the MSA is the tuning stability. It's amazingly stable. But my lord its not very light.

Richard Stanton

England
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 11:05 am     Mullen Discovery 3x4

I wanted to reduce the weight of my guitar as I am not getting any younger and to this end I purchased a Mullen Discovery 3x4 about 2 months ago, when I first got it I found the single neck awkward after having always played D10 guitars. I now find that I am really enjoying the guitar and getting to grips with the single neck aspect. I am so taken with the playability and the tone of the Discovery that I am now considering adding a vertical lever and a fourth pedal, plus a bolt-on split tuning mod made for the Discovery by Mullen. To-date I have always used the standard E9th. tuning with the Emmons 3x5 setup. I would very much appreciate any recommendations as to the best copedent setup you consider with the additional hardware that I have in mind purchasing, so to maximize it's usage and get the best out of my Discovery. All suggestion would be most welcome. Thanks

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 11:34 am    

I have had mine about 6 years now, it's a super dooper guitar, same as a RP pretty much (less weight and mirrors), my road guitar. I never felt the need for splits or more hardware, 3x4 is an intense handful.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 3:53 pm    

I have had my Discovery about a year. I have a Discovery and a G2 and I can tell you the Discovery is right there with the G2 as far as tone and playability. I find myself preferring the Discovery because it is comparatively light. I love mine! I think you would love it too!

Craig

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 9:12 pm    

What's not to like? The Discovery is a pro guitar. Are you ordering a new one?

Here's a post about a new Discovery; It might get moved to another section (it's a new products). This one has polished and-plates:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322059

There was another recent post about someone who had one made with the changer tapped for splits.

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 1:45 pm     Mullen

I chose the Mullen G2 3 x 5 about a year ago. It's been a really good guitar. About a month ago it went thru the Harvey flood here in south Texas, and spent several hours under water. Four feet of it! I figured it was toast, but after several weeks of cleaning and drying, and crying over it, it looks and plays just as good as it ever did. Mullen makes a good instrument!
I've ordered a GFI Ultra keyless from Billy Coopers store mainly because of the solid metal frame. (Water Proof)!

Richard Foster

Blanchard Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 May 2023 3:28 pm     Mullen Discovery

Hi folks Just ordered a Mullen Discovery, I am new to steel guitar, I also own a GFI Ultra. I ordered this guitar , because a friend of mine offered to teach me /mentor me . He had some medical issues and sold his. Besides I have 24 six sting guitars , so having two or three steels shouldn't be a bad thing.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2023 11:09 pm     Re: Mullen Discovery

Richard Foster wrote:
I have 24 six sting guitars...

Richard,
I'd be very careful not to let any of those "six-sting guitars" get mad at you.
It could be rather painful. Very Happy

- Dave